Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLong(tm) 30 amp J1772 extension cord, 20 feet long
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:38 pm 
Site Moderator

Tony, I am under the impression that the QCP 20' JLong is UL approved (presumably up to 30A). Is this true?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:14 am 

Dsinned wrote:
Tony, I am under the impression that the QCP 20' JLong is UL approved (presumably up to 30A). Is this true?

Like Tesla, we do not UL list anything. We have no plans to do so, also like Tesla.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:15 am 
Site Moderator

TonyWilliams wrote:
Have you ever needed a little extra cord to plug in your car? Has the charging spot ever been blocked, either by an ICE or an EV that had already finished charging? Now, you can get a J1772 extension cord to help you plug in!!!

The J1772 Level 2 AC plug and wiring assembly is UL Rated and will accommodate up to 30A up to 240V AC. I have tested it at 40 amps continuous without excess heat buildup.

The cord is 20 feet long.

My question was triggered by your statement above . . . I guess what you meant by "UL rated" is the components of the JLong wiring assembly are "recognized", but the product itself is not actually "UL listed" (certified).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:52 am 

Dsinned wrote:
My question was triggered by your statement above . . . I guess what you meant by "UL rated" is the components of the JLong wiring assembly are "recognized", but the product itself is not actually "UL listed" (certified).

To get anything out of UL, you have to pay them big money and wait. Yes, many of the pictured bits above are indeed UL listed, like the Leviton J1772 plug / cable assembly.

Leviton no longer latkes that, and we now build our own cables and assemble the plug (the same 50 amp rated plug used on JESLA).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:23 am 

Tony -

I tried to use my Jlong over the weekend at a vacation rental to extend the reach of my EVSEupgraded 2013 Leaf EVSE, but had no success. The EVSE worked fine on its own (I ended up using a regular extension cord on the other end) but when connected to the JLong the Rav gave no indication of being plugged in. I thought maybe a connection came loose somehow, but when I got back home I tried it on my openEVSE and it worked just fine. Do you think this could just be a compatibility issue with the Panasonic EVSE's connector somehow?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:18 am 

When this happens, it seems to always be the latch on either the EVSE or the JLong.

There are no compatibility issues, since there are no electronics. There is exactly one 330 ohm resistor on the JLong handle, with a microswitch.

If either the JLong or the EVSE won't fully engage the locking latch (release button all the way up), it will cause this condition.

If you want to test it, use an ohm meter to measure from proximity pin to ground. It should be change from zero ohms to 330 ohms by pressing and releasing the latch button.

Post subject: Re: JLong(tm) J1772 extension cord
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:31 am 

I just tried the JLong/Leaf EVSE combo again at home and sure enough it worked out fine. I'm pretty sure I had it latched on all the way, but I suppose that could've been it. Another possibility is I might've just been too impatient: It took a good 5 seconds for the Rav to "wake up" and start blinking its lights after being plugged in just now - on the trip I probably just assumed something was wrong and unplugged a bit too early.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:23 pm 

The problem I reported in the last post reared its ugly head again when I went out to Palm Springs last weekend, so I'm sure I wasn't just imagining things when I reported it before. To recap, the issue is that plugging in the JLong downstream from an EVSEupgraded 2013 Leaf EVSE resulted in the car not charging. The car seemed to know it was plugged in, but wouldn't charge, so I suppose it's something with the pilot signal and not the proximity.

This time around, I thankfully had a backup EVSE (the original Rav EVSE, also EVSEupgraded) and when I swapped it in for the Leaf EVSE I was able to charge (albeit at a mere 12 amps.) So clearly something about the combo of the Leaf EVSE and the JLong isn't working. Could the pilot signal of the Leaf EVSE be "weak" somehow?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:16 pm 

Put a voltmeter on the pilot. It might also be handy to have an o-scope.

You need to see 12 VDC between pilot and ground when the charge station is powered up.

When you plug in to the car, the car should pull that pilot voltage down to 9VDC, to which the charge station replies with the 1khz square wave (which should be +9VDC / -9VDC).

The car then pulls the pilot down to +6VDC / -6VDC.

It's that simple.

There are no electronics in JLong, so this is an interesting issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:21 pm 

You can send your JLong to us for a complementary check-up.

We will update the latch mechanism, check the pins and sockets, etc.

Just send it to us with a note with your shipment with all the following:

1. Reason for return
2. Name of anybody you communicated with about this issue (Tony)
3. Your name
4. Your return shipping address
5. Your email for shipping notifications
6. Your phone number

Please ship your returned item to:

Quick Charge Power LLC
RMA-JLong Checkup
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, CA 92078

sales (((at))) QuickChargePower.com

Office 760-798-0342
M-F 9am-5pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next