Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 861 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: CHAdeMO for Rav4 EV "JdeMO" by Quick Charge Power
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:56 pm 

Here's where to buy:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMo- ... MORav4.htm

Existing JdeMO installations around the world.

Red = Alpha Tester
Orange - Production, installed, operational
White - Shipped, not installed
Yellow - Ordered, not shipped

http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=14952 ... 57720&z=13

Here's a super-nerd excel file that I cobbled together to calculate optimum driving speed when charging enroute:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1bz3u2hfnvmk ... .xlsx?dl=0

Recommended network cards / fobs / apps to have:

1) Oregon / Washington - AeroVironment West Coast Electric Highway - 1-888-833-2148 - http://www.evsolutions.com/ev-network - $19.99 per month unlimited or ad hoc $7.50 per charge. Can pay through PlugShare app.

2) California, Texas, many other states - NRG / eVgo - http://www.nrgevgo.com/charging-plans-by-market/ - 1-855-509-5581, no app

3) USA, ChargePoint - http://www.chargepoint.com/activate/ - 1-866-480-2936, pricing varies, ChargePoint app available

4) others:

a. Greenlots
b. OpConnect
c. EVconnect
d. Blink - Electric Car Charging

JdeMO for DC quick charging of the 2012-2014 Toyota Rav4 EV is available from Quick Charge Power.

FAQ's:

1) How fast will the Rav4 EV be able to charge?

Answer: It will charge at approximately 380 volts DC and 125 amps max, or a maximum of 47.5kW. The low battery voltage speed is 300 volts at 125 amps max, or 37.5kW. That means that it can charge from:

0% to 80% - 45 minutes
20% to 80% - 38 minutes
80% to 100% - 30 minutes

2) What kind of chargers can I use?

Answer: You will still be able to use the existing J1772 plug for charging, and additionally will also be able to also use any CHAdeMO charge station anywhere in the world. This is commonly known as the same quick charger used for the Nissan LEAF, KIA Soul EV or Mitsubishi iMiev.

You specifically will NOT be able to use the Tesla Supercharger system, nor will it work at SAE CCS Combo1 chargers used by GM Spark EV, BMW i3 and Volkswagon eGolf.

3) Where are these CHAdeMO chargers located?

Answer: We recommend using http://www.PlugShare.com or http://www.chademo.com to find a station.

4) Will JdeMO damage the car in any way?

Answer: No, If operating as designed. But, increasing the charge rate to any battery that has ever been designed in the history of mankind will likely shorten the battery's lifespan.

5) Will it void my warranty?

Answer: It should not void any warranty, however we do not have control of how any auto manufacturer will likely handle a battery warranty claim. In all likelihood, any battery failure would likely be blamed on any product connected to the battery, no matter how unlikely it actually did damage. Therefore, each JdeMO sale will require a "hold harmless" agreement that indemnifies Quick Charge Power LLC from any claim.

Magnuson-Moss Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E ... rranty_Act

The Magnuson-Moss act was enacted by Congress in response to the widespread misuse by merchants of express warranties and disclaimers. The legislative history indicates that the purpose of the Act is to make warranties on consumer products more readily understood and enforceable and to provide the Federal Trade Commission with means to better protect consumers.

The statute is remedial in nature and is intended to protect consumers from deceptive warranty practices. Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson-Moss Act.

6) Will there be a warranty on the JdeMO?

Answer: All Quick Charge Power products offer a one year limited warranty.

7) Will it be possible to remove JdeMO on a lease return car?

Answer: Yes , but only by personnel specifically authorized in writing by Quick Charge Power.

8) Do I need to remove JdeMO to have normal service or maintenance performed?

Answer: Absolutely not. We specifically do not want you handling, modifying, repairing or in any way changing JdeMO except to recharge your Rav4 EV from a CHAdeMO charger. If you need to remove JdeMO for any reason, contact Quick Charge Power for instructions.

WARNING: HIGH VOLTAGE CAN KILL. DO NOT TOUCH, MODIFY, HANDLE, REPAIR OR CHANGE JdeMO IN ANY WAY.

9) Can I charge with a CHAdeMO charger and the J1772 plug at the same time?

Answer: No.

10) Can I install JdeMO myself?

Answer: YES!!! contact Quick Charge Power for instructions.

WARNING: HIGH VOLTAGE CAN KILL. DO NOT TOUCH, MODIFY, HANDLE, REPAIR OR CHANGE JdeMO IN ANY WAY.

11) Can my local Toyota dealer install JdeMO?

Answer: Yes, with a properly trained Prius or EV trained technician.

12) How long will it take to install?

Answer: About 3-4 hours

13) Will JdeMO be able to power my house through the CHAdeMO plug?

Answer: Yes, if the Vehicle to Grid / Home equipment is compatible with CHAdeMO, therefore with appropriate external equipment, it MAY work. No work has been done to work specifically with Vehicle 2 Home or Vehicle 2 Grid.

14) I have heard that CHAdeMO in the future will be 100kW capable. Will JdeMO be able to charge at that rate?

Answer: No, because in order to get the full 100kW would require a 500 volt battery. Like most modern electric vehicles, the Rav4 EV uses a 350 - 415 maximum volt battery, therefore the maximum charge rate would be 200 amps multiplied by 380 volts, or about 76kW max. Additionally, we do not know if the plug will be the same.

JdeMO for the RAV4 EV is restricted to 125 amps.

15) Where will JdeMO be mounted?

Answer: It will all fit entirely under the hood. To charge, you will open the hood and plug in the CHAdeMO plug. A "behind the bumper" mount kit may be an option in the future.

16) How much will it cost?

Answer: $2999, plus installation, any options, shipping, taxes, and surcharges.

Post subject: Re: CHAdeMO for Rav4 EV
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:11 pm 

I think $2,000 is a reasonable price for a well integrated CHAdeMO port. However, I personally would not do it for 2 reasons. First, fear of warranty repercussions. Second, I personally would use it so rarely that the per use price would be unjustifiable. It would be far cheaper to just take our ICE car or even rent a car for trips that would benefit from CHAdeMO usage.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 pm 

Yes, I would pay up to $2k, the mod would have to easily removable, I can't have Toyota refusing to service my RAV4 EV.

Solar PV 5.25 kW System.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:23 pm 

Same sentiment, 2K for a reversible mod.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:31 pm 

Yes, it will be fully reversible for warranty. With that thought, the logical place to put the plug is under the hood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 pm 

I'd be interested. I'm already out of state, what more can they do?

Reciever Hitch, CURT Class III Round Tube
Cargo Liner
Modified 120VAC EVSE to also accept 240VAC
Hood struts- Sokie Tech
JdeMO Level 3 Charging port
12.6kW PV system
VIN 1396
Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:37 pm 

Kohler Controller wrote:
I'd be interested. I'm already out of state, what more can they do?

Exactly. Plus, I'm already at 27,000 miles, so it won't be long before I'm "on-my-own" soon, too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 pm 

With more and more CHAdeMO chargers coming on-line, I would pay ~$1.2k...prob ~$1.5K as an upper limit. The usefulness of it goes up as more stations go on-line, but as someone pointed out, it's much much cheaper to rent an ICE.

Just a week ago, I had to go on a 90 miles one-way trip, in the evening. Since I didn't know if I had 240v EVSE nearby or was going to spend 3hrs there, I didn't take the Rav4EV. My LEAF has CHAdeMO, but its highway distant limit is prob < 70 miles at 100% charge (due to battery degradation) now, otherwise I would have taken the LEAF since there are several CHAdeMO on-the way and around the area (OC to Thousand Oaks). That was the 1st time I wish the Rav4EV had CHAdeMO since we had it for 10 months. Ended up getting a Nissan Sentra for $24/day at a Nissan dealership where I could also parked my LEAF for the day. The time it took to rent the Sentra was less then 20 min. I would have needed prob 3 CHAdeMO charging sessions for the LEAF, and one for the RAV4EV (20 min session). So for $1.2K, and about once a year rental, it would be 50yrs worth of rentals :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 pm 

I'd be interested in a reversible CHAdeMO mod in the $1.5K range. Yes, it is a premium over renting an ICE, but I think I'd use it enough to justify it for the convenience / luxury of driving my own EV.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:46 am 

I'd be willing to pay up to $1000 to $1200 for CHAdeMO.

15.4 KW Solar PV System
2011 Ocean Blue LEAF
Picked Up 4/29/2011
Clipper Creek CS-60 EVSE at home
and a Leviton 16 amp L2 EVSE for work
116,500 miles on the Rav as of 08-5-16

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 861 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 87  Next