Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: CHAdeMO for Rav4 EV "JdeMO" by Quick Charge Power
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:18 pm 

I am using the Rav4 EV as a commuter and for Uber/Lyft vehicle. JdeMO is working great. Easily going 250 miles a day. No heat issues and charging at 100 amps at most lvl 3's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:02 am 

The Rav4 EV with JdeMO is a perfect combination for Uber/Lyft. I've been driving my Rav4 EV with them here on the east coast metro area for over 2 years now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:14 am 

quote=Airton - "The Rav4 EV with JdeMO is a perfect combination for Uber/Lyft. I've been driving my Rav4 EV with them here on the east coast metro area for over 2 years now."

How many people ask you - "Is it a hybrid or something? It's really quiet." I bet a LOT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:58 am 

There is an Uber driver with a JdeMO equipped RAV4 in the SF Bay Area with a howling motor. They complained.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm 

[quote="miimura"]quote=Airton - "The Rav4 EV with JdeMO is a perfect combination for Uber/Lyft. I've been driving my Rav4 EV with them here on the east coast metro area for over 2 years now."

How many people ask you - "Is it a hybrid or something? It's really quiet." I bet a LOT.[/quote]

yup, I get a lot of "wow you really take good care of this car, i can barely hear the engine" and off goes the conversation :)
All is good approaching 120k now, new shocks and struts, front wheel bearings replaced, battery is healthy, 3rd DU remains quite with about 60k on it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:35 pm 

Hi all, I have never charged my RAV4 before in extreme heat using Jdemo until two days ago. I charged while it was 100 F outside and charging slowed to 60 amps. I charged later that day while it was 108 F outside and charging slowed to 30 amps. Both times the green button on Jdemo was flashing fast indicating charging had been slowed due to battery temperature being too high. Both times the charge rated decreased within the first five minutes of charging. This was very eye opening to me. I'm used to adding about 60 miles in 30 minutes but at 30 amps I was adding only about 15 miles per 30 minutes. At this very slow rate Jdemo is really not very useful for long trips in the heat. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining I love my Jdemo. It has completely changed what I can do with my RAV4. But if you are planing on driving to Las Vegas from LA when the new charging station opens in Baker then you better drive at night to get decent charge speeds.

Along these lines regarding a faster charge rate for Jdemo. My concern would be that the original Tesla model S was limited at superchargers to a 1C rate. The 85 kWh batter charged only at 90 kw. I believe the battery in the RAV4 uses the same technology as these early model S' so it too can probably only handle a 1C charge rate which is about 44kw. Or what we are charging at now. I'm not an expert on this. This is just my novice opinion.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:48 pm 

BestDay, were you driving with the A/C in normal mode to get max battery cooling? Was the A/C running while you were charging?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:23 pm 

I charged on Thursday when it was 99F and had a similar experience. I used an EVGO charger (Sumitomo?) with 100A max. I had the AC on and was able to charge at 100A until somewhat over 50% SOC was reached, and then the current was throttled down to 60A for the rest of the session which I terminated at 86% SOC.

I believe that somebody (Tony?) posted earlier that the RAV4EV battery was more similar to Roadster than Mod S cells & technology.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:51 pm 

Yes, the AC was on normal both before and during charging. Both charging sessions where in full sun on top of asphalt. I would think that charging at the same temperature but in the shade or on cement could possible result in faster charging. I'm sure that the black asphalt, after baking in the 108 degree sun, radiates a lot of heat up onto the battery pack!

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:01 am 

AC should be set to Normal and Temp set all the way down to Low then you can turn down the fan so you don't freeze (as per Tony's instructions)
You should do this on your way to the station so your are ahead of the thermal management game when you start DC fast charging at high temps, very effective.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 950 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95  Next