backup/reverse question

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin77

Just have the car for two weeks, really love it expect the backup(reverse).The car always appear to have some sort of resistance when backup and has squeezing sound. I think this may due to some brake assistance not correctly involved when backup and like you are running with hand brake on, but once you finish backup and move to "D" mode pull forward, it becomes very smooth. Is this normal?

I have another question... Is there a way to add/enable backup lines to the rear view camera like the Nissan Leaf has?

Kevin77 said:
Just have the car for two weeks, really love it expect the backup(reverse).The car always appear to have some sort of resistance when backup and has squeezing sound. I think this may due to some brake assistance not correctly involved when backup and like you are running with hand brake on, but once you finish backup and move to "D" mode pull forward, it becomes very smooth. Is this normal?
I've noticed this on my wife's Rav4 EV as well, but not all the time. It sort of feels like the emergency brake hasn't disengaged completely when I first shift into reverse, even though the brake lever is all the way down.

This doesn't seem to happen all the time, though, or I'm just not noticing it for the majority of times my wife lets me drive the car.

Blastphemy said:
I've noticed this on my wife's Rav4 EV as well, but not all the time. It sort of feels like the emergency brake hasn't disengaged completely when I first shift into reverse, even though the brake lever is all the way down.

This doesn't seem to happen all the time, though, or I'm just not noticing it for the majority of times my wife lets me drive the car.

It just goes away while I am about to contact the dealer today. Will drive more and wait to see.

evdrive said:
Thanks, That is a nice feature of the leaf.
One thing I really miss from my Leaf days. I rented a Camry hybrid and it had the backup lines, but ours doesn't. What the heck Toyota? Also I hate how long it takes for the cam to come up after shifting into reverse.

I don't think it is a big issue with the noise as I noticed it sometimes not just on the RAV4 EV but a few other Toyota vehicles as well especially after a car wash or when the car hasn't been driven for a while because for some reason the brakes are a bit sticky at those conditions for the first couple of seconds or while you are backing up with your foot on the brake pedal going in reverse slowly it makes a bit of noise when the brakes are cold (kind of like how some brakes squeak when they are really cold and goes away as they warm up but that is normal as I have asked the mechanics and Toyota technicians; sometimes you will even hear a clicking sound from the brakes as you back out of your driveway), but it is always better to just bring the vehicle in and have them checked just to be safe.

fooljoe said:
evdrive said:
Thanks, That is a nice feature of the leaf.
One thing I really miss from my Leaf days. I rented a Camry hybrid and it had the backup lines, but ours doesn't. What the heck Toyota? Also I hate how long it takes for the cam to come up after shifting into reverse.

I agree, It is definitely crazy how long it takes for the camera to work after the car is put in reverse. It seems to have a 3-5 second delay and by that time, I am already backing up.

I've been frustrated by the little phone transfer message banners that are on the top of the screen. Completely blocks the only part of the screen that I am trying to look at. The back-up camera on the RAV is almost completely useless. The LEAF version must have been engineered by a pro. Those predictive grid lines are PRECISELY where the car will go.

Might I add that the camera is also slightly off centered? I thought it sucked not to have the guiding lines, but now, I'm so used to using this camera, it's no longer an issue for me. You will get used to it too.

You can turn off the phone transfer messages. It does come on precisely during the moments you need to look at your screen (like when you're backing up).

Page 161 of the 2012 owner's manual:

1. Press the “Home” button
2. Touch the "Settings" gear icon on the “Main Menu” screen
3. Touch “Phone” on the “Setup” screen
4. Touch “Phone Display Settings”
5. Select "off" for "Display Phone Book Transfer Status"
6. Select "off" for "Display Call History Transfer Status"
7. Touch "Save"

Page 173 of the 2012 owner's manual:

1. Press the “Home” button
2. Touch the "Settings" gear icon on the “Main Menu” screen
3. Touch “Bluetooth” on the “Setup” screen