Charging port door stuck closed?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I took a closer look today and at least with the charge door open the pin retracts all the way. I could imagine with some friction the cable may flex instead of the pin retracting, but that's purely conjecture. I bent the metal piece that the pin inserts into a little so the pin disengages sooner for good measure but I'll see how it goes.

Owner since April 2014, it just happened to me, I bent the spring and add a little WD-40 to the pin. So far so good.

Terran said:
Owner since April 2014, it just happened to me, I bent the spring and add a little WD-40 to the pin. So far so good.

3 month owner as well. I have this problem several times a week. Bending the spring helps a little but usually only gives me a week of free openings until it returns. This door issue and lack of fast charging are my only 2 complains thus far :)
Otherwise the Rav4 has been exceptional.

The problem is the door sticks to the rubber inside the door, applied some dielectric gel to the contact Pontiac and problem solved. If I was more computer savvy I would post a picture.

Our charger door also got stuck. The black, let go tab is working perfectly when you pull the lever on the drivers floor. The little black spring near the hinge just is not strong enough to flip open the door. I used a credit card to get it open.

I opened up the spring a bit and now all is good. So far....

mark_rivers19 said:
i'm so grateful for this Forum. :D
i got the stuck door last night and before doing anything, i quickly check the forum for answers.
THIS, beat any accompanied Owner's Manual.

what mark_rivers said
worked like a charm, thank you!

I did the spring bend thing a couple of months ago. Now it pops open perhaps a bit too easily - i.e. it opens when my kid slams the left rear door too hard, or when I use one of the local drive-thru car washes.

I'm leaving it this way, though... now all I have to do to open it is press the hinge side of the door. Shaves about three seconds off of my nightly charging routine since I don't have to open the driver's door and pull the release.

Every single time I've gotten our Rav4 EV back from Hamer Toyota, the charge door won't open. Luckily, we've become experts at fixing it by bending that little tab a bit. No idea why the techs at Hamer feel the need to mess with the charge door every time, nor how they manage to effectively break it each time instead of improving the mechanism. It's not like they follow any other procedures to the letter (i.e., I haven't had a single firmware or software update sticker placed under my hood). And forget about some of the advisers who check you in - more than once I've been asked about whether I want an oil change. And guess what I got for replacing the tires and doing an alignment? Yup - three free oil changes! Amazing...

I brought mine home about a week ago. It's got about 25k miles on it. The first time I opened the charge port door the spring fell out. I didn't know what it was or where it came from. The next time I tried to open the charge port door I had to hold the lever while my wife picked at it with her finger nails. Good thing I saved the spring.

I used a plastic welding tool to re-attach it. So far, so good ...

Back