My roundtrip commute is 80 miles. Will I make it?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davideski

Hi -

If I buy this car, will I make it the 80 miles I need to get to work and back each day?

Thanks!

David

I got the car for a 72 mile round trip. Based on the consensus from people here, 70-80 miles should be just fine. There's a mileage chart on the forum that TonyWilliams made that will give you a very good estimate based on your anticipated speed.

I haven't started my commute yet, though, so I can't confirm based on real-world experience.

Thank you for your input and pointing me toward the Range Chart.

I assume you will be doing mostly highway driving too.

Much appreciated,

David

You'll be able to do it, no question.

My wife and I regularly do commutes to/from San Francisco to Silicon Valley down 101 or 280 - 70 to 75 miles - and we never run into any trouble. Yesterday, I did a 71 mile commute after a full (extended) charge - 2 passengers, AC on the whole time, highway speeds - and I was at approximately 45% SOC when I returned (ie, 45% of the battery remaining). My wife usually does a standard charge overnight (ie, she starts with the battery 80% full), does a 75 mile commute, and ends up at home at around 20-25% SOC. Our RAV4 EV is over a year old with over 18k on the odometer, so this is *after* any battery degradation this past year and substantial mileage, which has seemed negligible.

The one thing to be careful of is very cold days. The amount of electricity used to both heat the battery and the passenger compartment can substantially limit range. Even then, you should be able to do an 80 mile commute at highway speeds from Berkeley to Redwood City on a standard charge.

When we first got the RAV, we did my wife's commute on the weekend, sweating the whole way, worried we weren't going to make it. The range anxiety pretty much ended that day - the RAV makes Bay Area commutes easy.

easily possible, my commute to work is minimum 80 miles a day - from San Ramon to Redwood Shores. I charge overnight, after 80 miles commute, end up at home with 15- 40 miles still left (depends on winter or summer, and a/c, heater usage).

Absolutely, even on a standard charge. ( 80% battery capacity).
My daily commute to work is 43 miles one way ( total of 86 miles) with 85% highway/ 15%city.
I drive 70-75 miles/hr when possible so as you can see, i don't drive it like a Grandma

I get home with 91-95 actual driven miles ( trip A) with 12-17 miles left on the battery meter.
I dont even bother charging in between home, work, groceries, mall etc.

You' ll be fine.

Back