Gap after Rav4EV and before Tesla Model 3

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClearSky

I am in a situation that many of you are probably in: When my lease for RAV4EV is over, Tesla Model3 will not be available yet. My lease for the Rav4EV will be done in September 2016. Given Tesla's track record for new model delays, I don't expect to get a Model 3 until late 2017, even if I get on the waiting list as soon as it is made available.

What are you planning to drive in the gap? Drive an ICE? Eeeeew, that's gross.

Ive been thinking about that a lot and thats why Ive decided to purchase a used Rav EV. You may want to purchase your own Rav and drive it till something new comes out, which as you guessed. Is probably many years away.

jimbo69ny said:
Ive been thinking about that a lot and thats why Ive decided to purchase a used Rav EV. You may want to purchase your own Rav and drive it till something new comes out, which as you guessed. Is probably many years away.

Hopefully with an extended warranty as some repairs could pay for half of the Tesla :shock:

ClearSky said:
I am in a situation that many of you are probably in: When my lease for RAV4EV is over, Tesla Model3 will not be available yet. My lease for the Rav4EV will be done in September 2016. Given Tesla's track record for new model delays, I don't expect to get a Model 3 until late 2017, even if I get on the waiting list as soon as it is made available.

Well let 's see..
I currently have 3 BEVs right now... roadster, S85 and RAV4 EV.
Im buying my RAV4 EV when the lease expires.

By the way, a lot of people lined up for the BMW i3, and a number of them got disappointed after a few months of ownership. long story short, they returned the i3 and ended up with a RAV4 EV.

Some of these folks are posting in the RAV4 EV facebook page, you can read them there.

4EVEREV said:
jimbo69ny said:

Hopefully with an extended warranty as some repairs could pay for half of the Tesla :shock:

Im crossing my fingers and hoping. I live in NY so Im not sure how much help Ill get from Toyota....

I plan to buy the RAV and continue to drive it until something better comes along.
Not sure I want to be one of the first Model 3 owners anyway. Wait for second year production and first year reviews.

TonyWilliams said:
I think the Rav4 EV will hold it's value very well for years to come. I'd buy it, and when Model 3 is available and sitting in your driveway, sell the Rav4 (or not).

Im with Tony ^

ClearSky said:

ClearSky said:

i read the thread title again and I'm a little confused.
So, you will be trading a perfectly capable Crossover for a sedan?

i understand IF the trade is for a model X.

mark_rivers19 said:

A lot of us bought the RAV for the unique combination of range, power and price in a BEV. The body configuration and "crossover-ness" is not the primary parameter driving the choice. In fact, I traded in an Accord for the RAV, so a sedan is just fine for one car in our family. The Model 3 will be even more compelling to me since it should be about the same price as the RAV and have even more range and Supercharger access. Since I purchased the RAV before the big leasing promotions existed, I don't have this "gap problem". We will likely get rid of our last ICE vehicle to get the Model 3.

miimura said:
A lot of us bought the RAV for the unique combination of range, power and price in a BEV. The body configuration and "crossover-ness" is not the primary parameter driving the choice.

Exactly. My biggest problem is that with the RAV I'm lugging around a ton of unnecessary weight. I would have much preferred a smaller prius-like car with a similar sized battery and higher MPGe. As things are, however, RAV is the best option for range/weight/price, and is still three times (or more) efficient than my old ICE.

mark_rivers19 said:

I did not buy the Rav4EV because it is a crossover, it is a bit too big for my needs. We are a small family, and finding parking the Rav4EV in a large city is a challenge. I leased it because of its Tesla guts, range, power, and a reasonable lease price that I could afford. I am enjoying driving the Rav4EV, it is a lot faster than any other car that I have owned.

I like the size of the Rav4 much better than the Leaf. I can put my bike in standing up, can see traffic ahead better and it doesn't scrape bottom going in and out of my driveway. A lot more useable space inside and not much larger than the Leaf on the outside.

Leaf: L 175", W 69.7", H 61"
Rav4: L 180", W 71.5", H 66"

I love this car!

branstone said:
extra weight??? its a battery ! the ICE rav4 weighs 300 lbs more than and accord.

Extra weight/decreased aerodynamics are really my point. I don't need such a big car and would've preferred smaller and higher range.

One of the reasons the RAV was a perfect size for us is that there is plenty of room for our big dog in the back. It's replacing our old gas guzzling SUV which served the same purpose.

rickrides said:
I love this car!
+1. I plan to buy at the end of the lease.

I'm just wondering how much the extended warranty will cost in 3 years, will it go up considerably based on the car's unique challenges with parts and service?

dstjohn99 said:
rickrides said:
I love this car!
+1. I plan to buy at the end of the lease.

I'm just wondering how much the extended warranty will cost in 3 years, will it go up considerably based on the car's unique challenges with parts and service?

No, because the warranties are sold based on what group the car falls in.

Back