Ravcharge question

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrustin22

In the past couple of months, I had a new motor and new EV battery installed.
Software was also upgraded. The problem now is the charger comes on before midnight.
I even changed departure time to 8am instead of 6am, and set Ravcharge to start charging at 1am. Anyone had the same problem and fixed it?

On another note, I highly recommend Carson Toyota if you need service. I give them 5 stars for the service I got. See Eddy, (Big Ed) and he will take care of you.

jrustin22 said:
In the past couple of months, I had a new motor and new EV battery installed.
Software was also upgraded. The problem now is the charger comes on before midnight.
I even changed departure time to 8am instead of 6am, and set Ravcharge to start charging at 1am. Anyone had the same problem and fixed it?

On another note, I highly recommend Carson Toyota if you need service. I give them 5 stars for the service I got. See Eddy, (Big Ed) and he will take care of you.
A new battery? How did that go down?

As far as early charging, I haven't heard of any significant software updates that change anything in that arena. An 8am departure time is usually late enough, but with a low starting SOC, extended charge mode, <40 amp EVSE, or some combination of those it's quite easy for the car to start charging before midnight. It even happened to me last night when my wife took it down to 27% SOC and we had it on our 24 amp EVSE in the garage, and I have an 8:30 departure.

I see from the server log that in your case the car was down to 15% SOC, and you had it in extended charge mode. Consequently, your car thought it would take 8:25 to charge (even though it actually only took a little under 5 hours.) It adds a 20 minute buffer to that, so that means your departure time would've needed to be later than 8:45 am to have the charge start after midnight. Also, your departure time was set to 7am, not 8am, so you might want to double check that. If you frequently charge from such a low SOC and/or use extended charge mode, you should go with at least a 9am departure time, otherwise for those occasional long charges you should do a one-time override to push your departure time back using the Entune app or from the dash when you turn the car off.

I have an idea to add a feature that runs a periodic monitor to check for conditions when the car might start charges too early. I guess this is a kick in the butt to get going on that!

Thank you for all the info. Makes sense. I will check my settings and change my departure time to 9am and see what happens.
Its not very often that I run the battery all the way down, but it happens sometimes.

As to my repairs, I got stuck one day and the turtle icon came on. Car would not move, so I had it towed to Carson Toyota.
15 Days later, they gave me the car with a new motor.
After I got it, every time I charge it, the next day it would show EV error, or some times it would not charge. Took it back, this time 18 days later, got the car back with new EV battery. They gave me a free loaner both times. I still love this car, and have not been driving my Porsche since I got it.

Thanks for your help,
John

fooljoe said:
I have an idea to add a feature that runs a periodic monitor to check for conditions when the car might start charges too early. I guess this is a kick in the butt to get going on that!
That is a very cool idea. However, the RavCharge server won't be able to do anything about it. Would you just send an e-mail to the owner saying that RavCharge expects the car to start too early?

Well, wait a minute, I just remembered that the Entune app can make a one-time change to the next departure time. That would be so cool to have "early charge protection" in RavCharge!!

Edit: This could be a "premium" feature because you would have to poll each car that has this feature turned on to find out its situation ahead of time to see if it will start too early. That's very different than the current operating mode for RavCharge where it only wakes up and does anything for a given car when a timer event arrives.

Back