Guinness World Record attempt: EV parade, Cupertino 9/20/14

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_EV

I figure this deserves its own topic heading: we need to show up with our RAV4 EVs to help break the Guinness World Record for the largest parade of electric vehicles! Apparently the current record is 481 EVs by some Germans in Stuttgart, so we're shooting for 500. Pure EVs only, no plug-in hybrids, sorry.

Register to be in the parade here:
https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=162

Register to attend (or volunteer for) the main event here:
http://www.eaasv.org/rally/

See also TonyWilliams' post re Quick Charge Power giving away a JESLA 40 and a JLong at this event:
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15767#p15767

imagejpg1-3.jpg

(I had missed this here and on the Facebook group myself...just got a note from a Leaf-owning neighbor. We can't let those little Leafs show us up, now can we? :- )

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the World Record attempt is at 7:00 AM. The rest of the event from 10:00 - 4:00 is open to all interested parties, BEV, PHEV, or the simply e-curious.

Copy of e-mail from EAASV:

Greetings Silicon Valley Electric Vehicle Attendee,

We are very excited to have the chance to offer even more fun and
prizes to the first 500 participants to arrive at the Parade.

WHERE: De Anza College, 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino CA 95014
WHEN: 7 AM
WHAT: World Record for Longest Parade of Electric Vehicles

The World Record Parade begins between 7 AM and 8 AM and we understand
that that is an early time to wake up for people in Silicon Valley,
We need you to be ready BEFORE THE PARADE is set to begin, so we are
offering several CASH PRIZES for the some of the first 500 participants
to arrive. These prizes will be given away at the end of the parade.
There will also be free COFFEE and DONUTS for everyone in those wee
hours.

We look forward to seeing you early on Saturday, Sept 20th at De Anza
College. Please remember to have your White Stickers on your vehicle
and if your vehicle is new, have the paperwork that proves your car to
be a Pure Battery Electric Vehicle.

Come Early, Come Hungry, Come Excited!!

With just a week to go, they have a lot more pure BEVs to get registered. So far, there are 5 1st generation (1997-2003) and 26 2nd generation (2012-2014) RAV4 EVs signed up. A 7 am start time for the parade is rather early, but still have Sunday to sleep in. Note, apparently they are allowing electric motorcycles to enter as well. Should be a FUN event for all and good opportunity for local forum members to get to know one another, as well as some rare, if not belated publicity for our electrified SUVs! :mrgreen:

Vehicle Count
Nissan LEAF 155
Tesla Model S 47
Toyota RAV4 EV (2012 and later) 26
Ford Focus Electric 14
Other Plug-In Vehicle 13
Smart ForTwo Electric Drive 12
Chevy Spark EV 10
Fiat 500e 10
Tesla Roadster 9
Chevrolet Volt 8
Mitsubishi i 5
Toyota RAV4 EV (1997-2003) 5
Zero Motorcycle 5
CODA Sedan 4
Think City 4
Honda Fit EV 3
BMW i3 2
BMW i3 REx 2
Toyota Plug-in Prius 2
AC Propulsion tzero 1
BMW ActiveE 1
BMW Mini-E 1
Fisker Karma 1
Ford Fusion Energi 1
Vectrix 1

Total of 25 Models 342

The total is now 450, but if we remove the hybrids and range-extended EVs (which don't qualify for the Guinness record) then we're still at 410 I think, unless there are some surprise homemade creations in the "Other plug-in vehicle" category. 482 needed ftw.

There are now at least 478! So close to the minimum number. Plus 39 ineligible plug-ins, and over 1200 people registered for the main rally.

But before we get too excited, this is from Wes Lambert, president of EAASV:

"We're not just trying to barely break the record, rather DISINTEGRATE IT! We need at least 700 BEVs to make sure that no one can even consider breaking this record soon. There are now MANY more prizes for timely arrival at the Parade. Over $3,000 worth, in fact. Including $500 in cash."

Posted to the rally Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/events/629542863810780/629542867144113/

god I don't even wake up this early for work. I will bring the RAV4 down. If my wife will wake up early, maybe she can do the Leaf too

I was there . . . the unofficial count of BEVs altogether was more than enough to set a new world record!!!!

Lots of RAV4 EVs in all model years and possible colors; at least 50! Many more TESLAs and by far, the most of any make were the NISSAN Leafs. The parade lasted about 3 hours after a late start, and stretched out for several miles. The most unusual car was one all the way from The Netherlands, completely solar powered. Lots of electric motorcycles too!

Photos #60 and #61 are of "Stella", probably the most unusual electric car at the parade. Driven all the way from LA on solar energy. The only EV missed at this event was a solar/battery powered "RV". I know they exist, but there were none on display. Although there was an electric powered school bus there. Battery powered motorcycles were well represented from ZERO and Lightening. Our pride and joys must numbered over 50 total would be my guess. The only forum vendors at the event were eMotorWerks of JuiceBox fame, Clipper Creek and Aeroviron TurboCord. Free test drives were available and open to the public if you were willing to wait in line on several EV makes and models including the RAV4 EV. Everyone in the parade got a free commerative T-shirt. All toll this was a very fine event on the last Saturday of the Summer! :mrgreen:

Back