Please share experience obtaining LADWP rebates

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rav4EVoom

Would someone please share their experience about getting LADWP rebates(San Fernando Valley Area, Los Angeles)? I have emailed/called and left message with LADWP and haven't gotten a response for a few days now...

- $750 rebate from LADWP for installing Level 2 EVSE? Requirement states the L2 EVSE needs to be a brand new, "UL listed" device to qualify. Unfortunately many recommended L2 EVSE on this forum do not have such certification at this time(so those are to be considered as second portable L2 EVSE at later time). Clipper Creek claims LADWP accepts ETL certification(HCS-60), has anyone gotten the rebate using an ETL certified L2 EVSE(not UL listed)?

Also due to space limitation(size matters), I am seeking a "small/slender" 240V, 50A(to supply full 10kw?) L2 EVSE for the garage that can "qualify for this LADWP rebate". Right now I am leaning towards HCS-60 assuming ETL certification qualifies for the rebate, but are there better choices that would meet this criteria?

- Separate dedicated LADWP TOU Meter for EV charging qualify for $250 credit and $0.025/kw discount. I was told that in order to qualify for this credit/discount(to past inspection), the L2 EVSE must be "hardwired" and not "plugged in" to a receptacle? Does anyone know this to be true? I have not seen this requirement specifically in writing. Honestly, I much prefer to have plugs instead of hardwiring for my L2 EVSE as I plan to add two 240V receptacles on both side of my garage so that I have flexibility of unplug and move the L2 EVSE to cover wherever my EV end up parking. This also ready me for additional EV in the future without going through another round of circuit upgrade where I can just buy another L2 EVSE and plug it in?

- I had assumed that since the TOU meter dedicated for EV is property of LADWP and that LADWP would absorb most of the related cost(may be provide installation of the meter themselves?) Is this assumption realistic or completely wrong? Is it going to cost a lot of money if my assumption is wrong?

- Assuming LADWP will accept the receptacle and plugs for the L2 EVSE, How would I best implement these two receptacles with a dedicated TOU meter? Can anyone recommend any knowledgeable electrician in the area of San Fernando Valley of LA that I can consult and possibly contract for this projects who will charge me an honest fee?

Sorry seem to be asking a lot of questions, but this is the very first Electronic vehicle for me and I completely skipped Hybrid Vehicle, so it's a pretty big learning curve for me.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the answer to your LADWP specific questions, but I do have some input on your separate meter question. Utilities typically do not charge much for installing the meter. However, that just involves bringing the meter and plugging it in. You have to have your own electrician prepare the meter socket for them. In most cases, installation costs including permits, parts and labor for a junction before the existing meter, a new panel and/or meter socket, and a new feed to your EVSE location will run about $2,500. If you need to increase the capacity of the feed line between the meter and the transformer, that's another expense, but some utilities (PG&E is one) will pay some of that cost if it is required to add EV charging. There should be no limit to the number of EVSE units you connect, but all loads on the dedicated meter must be for EV charging.

Regarding the size of EVSEs, the Leviton EVB40 case is slightly thinner (5.19") than the Clipper Creek HCS (5.3") case. The Leviton has the convenient built-in "plug" for stowing the J1772 handle, but if you drape the cord around the unit in the same way as the HCS, the clearance to walk by the unit will be the same.

miimura said:
I don't know the answer to your LADWP specific questions, but I do have some input on your separate meter question. Utilities typically do not charge much for installing the meter. However, that just involves bringing the meter and plugging it in. You have to have your own electrician prepare the meter socket for them. In most cases, installation costs including permits, parts and labor for a junction before the existing meter, a new panel and/or meter socket, and a new feed to your EVSE location will run about $2,500. If you need to increase the capacity of the feed line between the meter and the transformer, that's another expense, but some utilities (PG&E is one) will pay some of that cost if it is required to add EV charging. There should be no limit to the number of EVSE units you connect, but all loads on the dedicated meter must be for EV charging.

Regarding the size of EVSEs, the Leviton EVB40 case is slightly thinner (5.19") than the Clipper Creek HCS (5.3") case. The Leviton has the convenient built-in "plug" for stowing the J1772 handle, but if you drape the cord around the unit in the same way as the HCS, the clearance to walk by the unit will be the same.

Thank you so much for sharing. Your experience is valuable to me. Looks like adding separate meter is a lot more expensive than I anticipated as it seems to require adding quite a bit of hardware(I was hoping I can reuse my existing Panel, just add breakers and run the wires. I thought installation of the L2 EVSE is about $600 as was advertised with Leviton, it would be just slightly higher to add the additional one receptacles as well as another line to the TOU meter to be installed by LADWP.(I am told I can apply for a express permit for adding the 240V outlets for EV charging where no electrical plan check is needed for $50-~100, so permit cost should be minimal).

I'll try to get a couple electrician quotes to get some better idea. By the way, most electrician advertised seem to have experiences more related to adding recess lighting, finding shorts..etc, I am not finding electrician that show expertise/experience in installing EVSE around my area. How would you go about finding such electrician that understands the process and applicable requirements?

Also thanks for the suggestion on the Leviton unit, I'll check it out shortly. Since I have shelving on both side of my Garage, I was hoping to install the unit on either side of the garage door where the EVSE Thickness isn't a big concern, but rather it's "width" is more of the limiting factor due to small wall surface available. This is also the reason for me to look for "slender" unit.(I think the small size of Jesla or JB would be great for me as it'll fit well in the space, but without the UL listing, I cannot qualify it for the rebate... so still searching). I am happy to wrap the cords around the charging unit if I can find a slender EVSE to fit in the target space.

Just read some post on Nissan Leaf Forum, it appears LADWP's seprate TOU Meter saving of $0.025/kw might not be fully realized after the high installation cost + the $8 monthly fee associated with it...

There's also wide range of opinion in term of installation cost, installing the L2 EVSE and trying to get all the LADWP incentives is turning out to be a bigger project than anticipated... Hope I can get a clear direction after I get a few consulation/quote from electricians.

LADWP finally called me back today after I left voice mail several days ago.

RE Dedicated TOU Meter for EV charging: They told me a adding a separate and dedicated TOU meter on the average cost their customer ~$1200 to get the TOU meter socket ready. Once the TOU meter socket installation is inspected and approved by Building and Safety, LADWP will come install the actual TOU meter free of charge. In operation of the dedicated TOU meter for EV, there's a "minimum" charge of $10 if you do not use enough electricity to reach $10/month charging your EV on TOU meter. As long as your use more than $10 electricity charging EV on the TOU meter, you'll not see this minimum charge reflected in your bill. Lastly, anyone who stops owning their EV, they should tell LADWP to turn off the dedicated TOU meter for EV to avoid being charged the $10 minimum monthly fee.

RE Online application to request TOU meter: I found out today that although the online application asks for Vehicle ID, one can actually proceed with the online application without providing the Vehicle ID. This means, you can start the process before you purchase your vehicle. Wish I knew this earlier. Also that at this time, there's only one gentleman Mr. Walter Smith who's in charge of handling all request to add the TOU meter for San Fernando Valley Area and the queue is about 2 weeks from time of application submission to the first consultation visit. Mr. Walter Smith is expected to provide guidance on how and where TOU meter should be installed in your garage.

I am still searching for experienced EVSE installation electrician to provide quotation and consultation for the project. Hopefully after the consultation I'll be able to make decision whether to proceed with having a dedicated TOU meter installed or not.

Rav4EVoom said:
I am still searching for experienced EVSE installation electrician to provide quotation and consultation for the project. Hopefully after the consultation I'll be able to make decision whether to proceed with having a dedicated TOU meter installed or not.

You don't need an EVSE experienced electrician. Just have an electrician install a 50 amp circuit with a nema 14-50 outlet where you'll hang your EVSE and plug it in. Make sure your EVSE comes with a 14-50 plug.

rickrides said:
Rav4EVoom said:

You don't need an EVSE experienced electrician. Just have an electrician install a 50 amp circuit with a nema 14-50 outlet where you'll hang your EVSE and plug it in. Make sure your EVSE comes with a 14-50 plug.
You missed the whole point of this thread. He needs a meter socket installed for the dedicated meter in addition to the wiring to the EVSE location. This is a little more complicated than what you said. However, any licensed electrician can do it.

@Rav4EVoom, did you get the question about plug-in vs. hard-wired EVSE answered by LADWP?

.[/quote] However, any licensed electrician can do it.

@Rav4EVoom, did you get the question about plug-in vs. hard-wired EVSE answered by LADWP?[/quote]

That was my point...Any licensed electrician can do it. No EVSE experience or knowledge necessary.

rickrides said:
However, any licensed electrician can do it.

@Rav4EVoom, did you get the question about plug-in vs. hard-wired EVSE answered by LADWP?[/quote]

That was my point...Any licensed electrician can do it. No EVSE experience or knowledge necessary.[/quote]

Hi Rickrides,

Thanks for your advice. The fault is mine for not being clear. I fully agree with you that any licensed electrician would be able to handle electrical system designs and probably general code requirements. The key reason I want to work with electrician who have installed EVSE systems in my area is for me to take advantage of an electrician's experience and possibly relationship in dealing with LADWP and LADBS's requirement which would come in handy especially when it comes to fulfilling the requirement to qualify for rebates(such as is whether EVSE hardwired is required or plug can be acceptable for a dedicated TOU meter for EV to qualify for their discount or, or would ETL certified EVSE be acceptable to LADWP for rebate or UL certification is the one and only certification they would accept,...etc.) Life would've been a lot easier if we didn't need to deal with unclear none technical requirements for these programs or have easy access to the right authorities for quick clear answers. In any case, I will try to figure out as much as I can so hopefully this process can be more transparent for the next guy.

@Miimura Sorry that I didn't think I got a clear answer, that's why I didn't report it earlier. Here's what happened.

I did "Explain" to the lady from LADWP who called me about my plans to install two 240V receptacles in my garage so I may use a plug and move the EVSE in case I moved the parking spot for my EV, or even future proof for possibility of second EV...etc.,(and she's also aware I am asking for a dedicated TOU Meter to supply to the EVSE). She says "sure..., sounds great..." , but then she went on and explained to me that the one and only MR. Walter Smith(Field agent for LADWP) who's handling all EV related cases for LADWP in our area will be visiting me so he can tell me "Where" I can install What and clarify for me any questions I have concerning this projects when he visits and it'll be good for me to discuss with him when he visits. This sounds to me, I won't really know until I have a chance to clarify this directly with Mr. Walter Smith when it's my turn. (we can't get access to Mr. Smith prior to our turn, so I am just waiting to find out).

Base on my own research so far, I have two different conflicting finding.
*Finding 1 - Sales from Clipper Creek told me that once they had to "swap" a hardwired model for a customer who originally purchased a plug version because LADWP require it to be hardwired if it's to be on a separate TOU meter getting the discounted rate.
*Finding 2 - I read on mynissanleaf forum that someone was able to put some kind of restraint/strap? over their EVSE plug and this was accepted by LADWP.

With these uncertainty, I hesitate to decide on which EVSE to purchase since I don't know if where I wish to put the EVSE is going to be acceptable to Mr. Smith, or whether he will let me use one with a plug/receptacle or will he insist on hardwire...etc? Some of these questions isn't answered by some regulation/code where electricians know, but rather, what is "acceptable" to LADWP's inspector...

I hope to gain clarity on these questions soon and I'll be sure to report back.

In any case, all is well, because it's all worth it to own this great car.

Rav4EVoom,

I understand. When I got my LEAF I qualified for the "EV Program" that included a free CHAdeMO ($700 option) on the car and a free Blink EVSE and $1200 labor credit. I had to use a recommended electrician and, of course, obtain the required permit from my town. It ended costing $3600 for the total job ($2400 out of my pocket) which included a new service entrance panel upgraded from 90 amps to 125 amps and room to add another breaker for the EVSE outlet.

With the RAV4 charge port on the rear and higher current requirement, I just swapped an unused 40 amp breaker in my sub panel, which is near the rear of the RAV4, for a 50 amp breaker and wired it to a 14-50 outlet about a foot from the panel. It couldn't have been easier. I don't recommend anyone do their own wiring unless they know what they are doing...I do.

Good luck on your project.

Rick

rickrides said:
Rav4EVoom,

I understand. When I got my LEAF I qualified for the "EV Program" that included a free CHAdeMO ($700 option) on the car and a free Blink EVSE and $1200 labor credit. I had to use a recommended electrician and, of course, obtain the required permit from my town. It ended costing $3600 for the total job ($2400 out of my pocket) which included a new service entrance panel upgraded from 90 amps to 125 amps and room to add another breaker for the EVSE outlet.

With the RAV4 charge port on the rear and higher current requirement, I just swapped an unused 40 amp breaker in my sub panel, which is near the rear of the RAV4, for a 50 amp breaker and wired it to a 14-50 outlet about a foot from the panel. It couldn't have been easier. I don't recommend anyone do their own wiring unless they know what they are doing...I do.

Good luck on your project.

Rick

Thank you for your kind words. If possible, I hoped that by working with a honest electrician who understands and had experience fulfilling LADWP requirement, he can provide accurate job scope as well as cost estimation(with or without TOU meter...etc.) so I can make decisions that's right for me.

Frankly, If I don't need to concern with LADWP requirement, I do see this as a very simply job since my electrical panel is literally right outside my garage door and only a coupe feet from where I wish to install the L2 EVSE. But the more I read, the more surprised I am for the amount of money the electrician's are charging for what appears to be a simple job since the material costs seems to be minimal and it doesn't seem like a job that should take many hours to do at all.

Hey op,

What charger did you end up going with? I too want to get the $750, but ladwp doesn't list which chargers are eligible for the rebate. (I was thinking about going with the Clipper Creek HCS-60???)

Also one of the requirements is getting a permit. I believe I can apply for the "Express Permit", but does this require for an inspector to on in and check the installation?

liux43 said:
Hey op,

What charger did you end up going with? I too want to get the $750, but ladwp doesn't list which chargers are eligible for the rebate. (I was thinking about going with the Clipper Creek HCS-60???)

Also one of the requirements is getting a permit. I believe I can apply for the "Express Permit", but does this require for an inspector to on in and check the installation?

I have not made final decision yet, but I am deciding between hcs-60 hardware version vs. his-40p. Are you also in ladwp service region? Ladwp require L2 evse to be UL certified to qualify. On email, I also have ladwp confirm ETL certification also qualify for their rebate. Therefore, if you get UL or ETL certified unit, I think they should be good for it. I will make my decision after I have my first meeting with ladwp field officer.

As to the permit, it's also my understanding that adding 240v for evse can use express permit for la department of building and safety if no building structure change is involved. Although wih express permit, they do not review your plan, but my understanding is they'll be inspecting the work when it's done. There are also all sort of requirement and obligations and liability when you pull your own permit(assuming you live at the property). So I decided for myself to have a licensed electrician to pull the permit for the job. For San fernando valley, the express permit should be under $100. Since I have not actually completed this process, this is base on information I've read and Collected so far. I'll provide more info as this project progress.

Here's a link to LADWP webpage that explains about their program and process as it relates to EV. The pdfs provides more detailed information.
https://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/faces/ladwp/residential/r-gogreen/r-gg-driveelectric;jsessionid=yKyRJ0BPL6sk4TsTS6FdSNhM7mP6GwcwBnDQBt33vvHcYPH0t21Q!-1913873530?_afrLoop=982058876627162&_afrWindowMode=0&_afrWindowId=null#%40%3F_afrWindowId%3Dnull%26_afrLoop%3D982058876627162%26_afrWindowMode%3D0%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Dwhbmu5zag_4

Hi Rav4EVoom:

I just happened to be perusing the forum and came across your post from October. Did you get a resolution to your LADWP rebate? We are in the Valley and have had our car since August 2013. We went through the installation and rebate process without too much drama.

My husband mostly dealt with it, so I can have him answer any questions, if you still have them.

Bobgirl said:
Hi Rav4EVoom:

I just happened to be perusing the forum and came across your post from October. Did you get a resolution to your LADWP rebate? We are in the Valley and have had our car since August 2013. We went through the installation and rebate process without too much drama.

My husband mostly dealt with it, so I can have him answer any questions, if you still have them.
Dear Bobgirl,

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I think all is well with me for now and I am expecting the check in another 6~8 weeks.

Through help of JasonA from the forum who provided me great advise and introduced me to an Electrician he's acquainted with, I was able to get 240V outlet set up and permitted. After that, it was pretty straight forward to purchase and mount the Clipper creek units.

I submitted all paperwork to LADWP in early November, 2014 and just three days ago on Jan 13, 2015, I finally heard back from LADWP that my application has gone through initial review and approval. LADWP also informed me that it'll take about another 6~8 weeks to issue the rebate check. Looks like it's taking between 3~5 months for LADWP to approve my application and send me the check. I am looking forward to receive the rebate check.

By the way, I finally received the state rebate check of $2500 today. It's taking States a couple of months to send me the rebate check from my application submission.

It's probably due to the holiday seasons that the processing time has taken longer than I had anticipated as I heard others who has gone through the similar process had gotten both state and LADWP checks quite a bit faster....

In any case, your kind thought is very much appreciated.

Yeah... State/Gov employees REALLY like those days off! :roll:

I would expect LADWP is no different due to my recent solar/TOU meter calibration issues with them and needing to get someone out to the house last month.

Patience is a virtue but keep nagging ;)

JasonA said:
Yeah... State/Gov employees REALLY like those days off! :roll:

I would expect LADWP is no different due to my recent solar/TOU meter calibration issues with them and needing to get someone out to the house last month.

Patience is a virtue but keep nagging ;)
Exactly! State rebate check is in the bank and I will be sending LADWP another follow up email to check status by Valentine's Day. :D

hi Rav4EVoom,

I also live in the San Fernando Valley. I've been trying to figure out how to install an EVSE in my garage and apply for the Charge-Up rebate. Do you mind sharing your electrictian's information with me? also, were you able to buy a plug-in EVSE or did Mr. Smith only allow the wall-mount one?
any help is appreciated!

kaikaidragonz said:
hi Rav4EVoom,

I also live in the San Fernando Valley. I've been trying to figure out how to install an EVSE in my garage and apply for the Charge-Up rebate. Do you mind sharing your electrictian's information with me? also, were you able to buy a plug-in EVSE or did Mr. Smith only allow the wall-mount one?
any help is appreciated!

It's been awhile but I will send you my electrician info if I find them. Sorry that it's been awhile and I am not familiar with "Charge-Up" rebate. I can only share what I did and unfortunately I can't guarantee what worked for me will also work for you with LADWP. Also wanted to say that forum members and especially JasonA helped me greatly with this.

I apply with LADWP for the EVSE rebate program online. Then I hired the electrician to install an 240V outlet in my garage(it was cheaper than getting him to install an EVSE for me if he's only adding an outlet). I specified the minimum current I want the outlet to handle and in my case it was constant 40Amp current. This was important since circuit breaker, wire gauge(distance to my breaker box also influence wire gauge selection, the longer the distance, the thicker the wire needed), outlet current rating chosen must be able to support it for safety reasons.

I ordered a clippercreek wall mount level 2 EVSE, put a plug on it and "hung" it "securely" in my garage while it's plugged in to my 240V wall outlet. It's not a permanent installation since I can unhook the unit and unplug it if I need to take it with me although it's not designed to be portable. Back then no portable EVSE has the specified UL certification needed to qualify the rebate, so I had to buy a wall unit. Otherwise, I would prefer to get a true portable one.

I don't recall how much I paid for the electrician now but I believe it's around $400 including city permits. Hope this helps.

Rav4EVoom said:
kaikaidragonz said:
hi Rav4EVoom,

any help is appreciated!

It's been awhile but I will send you my electrician info if I find them. Sorry that it's been awhile and I am not familiar with "Charge-Up" rebate. I can only share what I did and unfortunately I can't guarantee what worked for me will also work for you with LADWP. Also wanted to say that forum members and especially JasonA helped me greatly with this.

I apply with LADWP for the EVSE rebate program online. Then I hired the electrician to install an 240V outlet in my garage(it was cheaper than getting him to install an EVSE for me if he's only adding an outlet). I specified the minimum current I want the outlet to handle and in my case it was constant 40Amp current. This was important since circuit breaker, wire gauge(distance to my breaker box also influence wire gauge selection, the longer the distance, the thicker the wire needed), outlet current rating chosen must be able to support it for safety reasons.

I ordered a clippercreek wall mount level 2 EVSE, put a plug on it and "hung" it "securely" in my garage while it's plugged in to my 240V wall outlet. It's not a permanent installation since I can unhook the unit and unplug it if I need to take it with me although it's not designed to be portable. Back then no portable EVSE has the specified UL certification needed to qualify the rebate, so I had to buy a wall unit. Otherwise, I would prefer to get a true portable one.

I don't recall how much I paid for the electrician now but I believe it's around $400 including city permits. Hope this helps.

thank you so much! I think LADWP simply renamed the EVSE rebate program to "Charge Up" :) I'll start with applying for the EVSE installation on LADWP and go from there. It sounds like the EVSE with wall outlet plugin is ok then.. there are a few models on Amazon that are 'hardwired' version without a wall outlet plug. I was hoping to avoid those

Back