What do you own as a backup vehicle?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Crazy situation! Between my fiance and I we have had 3 cars for the past month since I bought my Rav EV. I previously drove a PIP. She drove a 04 Corolla. We agreed we would keep, and she would drive, whichever sold last no matter which one it was.

We take a lot of road trips and I hoped hers would sell first so we could keep mine. I like the radar cruise and seats.

I found a buyer and met him a few hours away from home to do the exchange. While I was gone a cash buyer stopped by and bought her Corolla.... Now we need a backup....

I dont want to spend a lot of money so instinctively I am thinking a 09-10 regular Prius.

What do you guys own, if anything, as your backup?

Actually, the "backup" vehicle in my household, is my VOLT. My wife uses the RAV4 EV and I drive the Volt for commuting purposes. This is a good all around combination for ALL our transportation needs.

'04 Ram 2500 Cumins turbo diesel. See signature. It will haul a lot of stuff and pull a heavy trailer.

I went 115 miles yesterday in my RAV4 with a 1 hour charge at home after 50 miles...couldn't have done that in the LEAF. The truck sits in the garage feeling neglected.

I would love to be an all electric household. But we take a lot of weekend trips. Last year I drove straight to Orlando in the PIP. There is also been countless trips to North Carolina.

I am thinking it will have to be a 2009-ish Prius. That sets up my future move in which she takes over the Rav and I get a Tesla :)

Dsinned said:
Actually, the "backup" vehicle in my household, is my VOLT. My wife uses the RAV4 EV and I drive the Volt for commuting purposes. This is a good all around combination for ALL our transportation needs.

My situation is the reverse. My wife drives the Volt (MY 2014) and I drive the RAV4 (MY 2012). Since she rarely drives more than 35 mi/day, we only use gas for occasional trips to LA. Otherwise the situation is the same.

Every vehicle in my garage tries to fulfill a different niche, such that in total, they offer the widest breadth of capability for various needs of the family. They all have to be great at basic transportation firstly (i.e. can seat 4 and handle child seats), but are well differentiated beyond that.

Between my wife and I, we have the following cars: RAV4 EV (wife's DD), 911 Porche Turbo (my DD), Lexus LX470 (backup/vacation/utility/offroad)

You already have 2 frugal and efficient cars. Perhaps something completely different to answer some other need? The RAV4 has great utility as an SUV. It's just too bad it can't serve the function of a vacation car.

We'll have a 2007 Prius for sale, after we get the JdeMO. :D Haven't needed it since we got the RAV4 EV, but Barbara won't let it go yet. You never know when you will need to drive 500 miles nonstop with 10 minutes notice. :roll:

Something fun, Porsche 996 911 cab. Also have a truck and a Cayenne, the rav is used for commuting and when we can taking it on a weekend trip. Get something fun and enjoy the drive every once in a while.

We went for something really fun, a 2010 Prius 3. Haha

We are just beginning our lives together and she is in baby mode. If I bought us a Porsche 911 she would not be happy, no place to put a car seat.....

jimbo69ny said:
If I bought us a Porsche 911 she would not be happy, no place to put a car seat.....

I do this regularly. Back seats work great on the 911. You can thank me later. ;)

A 2000 Honda Insight
A 2000 Ford Ranger F-150 4WD Pickup (For the Ranch)
A 2011 Nissan LEAF (Sits mostly since getting the Rav4).
A 2001 38 foot Diesel Pusher Motorhome.
and a 1989 Mercedes 560 SL Convertable.

Too many vehicles for just my wife and me. :D

Now that my wife drives a Rav EV as well, we've been discussing which of our gas vehicles we're gonna get rid of. We pretty much agree on dumping the Camry and keeping my older Rav, but we are definitely not agreeing on the fate of my dear '85 SR5 PU -

Back