Toyota and Daimler AG sell off Tesla stock...

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Daimler sold off the 4% it owned but Toyota want say how much it sold. Of course that's bound to happen and I'm not too surprised.

What did surprise me is that this article claims only 2000 RAV4 EV's were sold. I wonder if that could be true. Do we know exactly how many were sold?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-sells-tesla-shares-cooperation-021524541.html?.tsrc=applewf

Green Car Reports had an article on this today as well with some nice pictures of Rav4 EVs

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095098_toyota-too-reveals-it-sold-some-tesla-shares-as-daimler-did

Is it because Tesla's intellectual property went open source. Or did they have bad enough experiences that they want to avoid this relationship? Third option, they're going to explore Hydrogen to get their compliance numbers in the future?

Anyone that looks at all the terms of the RAV deal with Toyota knows why. These are stopgap marketing deals structured around BS investments and nonsense "tech sharing". It was all temporary back patting to help solve problems. Think green washing/NUMI/CARB/Union contracts.... The list goes on.

Ferdball said:
Third option, they're going to explore Hydrogen to get their compliance numbers in the future?

I'm not sure who you think is going to "explore" hydrogen. Toyota is done with electric vehicles, and will ONLY be selling hydrogen cars in California-only in the future.

Daimler will likely go to a hydrogen car for CARB-ZEV compliance by 2018 model year, but there is a moderate possibility that they may also have a "real" battery electric car in the future. (the Mercedes B-Class ED is the same basic game as the Rav4 EV).

Stations. Hydrogen stations. Show me the stations.

Right now, I can fill up my E car at any plug for 1/4 the cost of Dino.

As soon as the hydrogen infrastructure can have that same reach, then sign me up.

Ferdball said:

As soon as the hydrogen infrastructure can have that same reach, then sign me up.

With EV fast charge, I am not sure Hydrogen car will be more attractive even if there's more station out there as I don't miss going to any "station" when I get it charged up at home. Besides, when you go solar, you pretty much get the electricity for free. I also wonder about maintenance fee for a Hydrogen vehicle. Other than one can fill hydrogen may be as fast as filling gasoline, what other advantage does Hydrogen car has over EV?

Rav4EVoom said:
Ferdball said:

With EV fast charge, I am not sure Hydrogen car will be more attractive even if there's more station out there as I don't miss going to any "station" when I get it charged up at home. Besides, when you go solar, you pretty much get the electricity for free. I also wonder about maintenance fee for a Hydrogen vehicle. Other than one can fill hydrogen may be as fast as filling gasoline, what other advantage does Hydrogen car has over EV?

Range and refueling speed, however I think batteries are going to match range very soon. Battery swapping stations match (actually beat) refueling speed.

TonyWilliams said:
Rav4EVoom said:
Ferdball said:

Range and refueling speed, however I think batteries are going to match range very soon. Battery swapping stations match (actually beat) refueling speed.

I see, Thanks! I wonder what is typical expected range in a Hydrogen vehicle? Tesla's already getting 300miles right?

Rav4EVoom said:
I see, Thanks! I wonder what is typical expected range in a Hydrogen vehicle? Tesla's already getting 300miles right?
The Tesla Model S 85kWh and the Hyundai Tucson FCEV are both EPA rated for 265 miles of range.

TonyWilliams said:
Ferdball said:
Third option, they're going to explore Hydrogen to get their compliance numbers in the future?

I'm not sure who you think is going to "explore" hydrogen. Toyota is done with electric vehicles, and will ONLY be selling hydrogen cars in California-only in the future.

Daimler will likely go to a hydrogen car for CARB-ZEV compliance by 2018 model year, but there is a moderate possibility that they may also have a "real" battery electric car in the future. (the Mercedes B-Class ED is the same basic game as the Rav4 EV).

There is no public statement that Toyota will not be selling EVs in the future. Because they are developing hydrogen cars does not mean they will never sell EVs in CA in the future. If EVs make sense to sell economically for Toyota or any other company they will be selling them, that is almost a certainty. I seem to remember a auto maker saying EVs are stupid a few years ago and they selling them. Development of one platform is not an indication of development of another. We all know fool cells are BS, so are most concept cars.

Tesla Motors Inc, Elon Musk. Transcript from minute 29:20: “Fuel Cell is so bullshit, it’s a load of rubbish. The only reason they do fuel cell is because…, they don’t really believe it, it’s something that they can…, it is like a marketing thing – but the reality is that if you took a fuel cell vehicle and you take the best case for a fuel cell vehicle in terms of the mass and volume required to go a particular range as well as the cost of the fuel cell system, and then you know, if you took the best case of that, it does not even equal the current state of the art of lithium ion batteries and so there is no way for it to become a workable technology.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmQb94EF1UY

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/06/04/hydrogen-fuel-cell-vehicles-about-not-clean/

Back