Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Engine/Power Steering turned off in middle of the freewa
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:44 pm 

Assuming that the following things are what happened, I believe there is a critical design flaw in how RAV4 EV handles a hardware failure.

a) The DC/DC converter failed for some reason
b) Power was sucked out of the 12V battery by the failed DC/DC converter to the main battery
c) Before any battery warning was displayed, the energy level of the 12V battery went too low causing the system to malfunction
d) The car stalled and the 12V battery was completely drained within a few minutes (so hazardous lights/SOS call weren't available)

I think once an abnormal voltage flow is detected in the DC/DC converter, RAV4 EV should completely kill any energy flow through the failed DC/DC converter, and a warning message to see service dealer should be displayed. This should prevent the draining of the 12V battery which causes the car in motion to stop, and let the driver continue to drive the car to the dealer. I hope Toyota can do this type of error handling with a firmware update and is already working on it to prevent the same problem from happening to other RAV4 EV owners.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:13 am 

Bought mine 10 days ago. So far so good, but did notice that the Power Steering Warning Light has come on a couple of times during charging? Should I be concerned?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:14 pm 

kttvpab wrote:
Bought mine 10 days ago. So far so good, but did notice that the Power Steering Warning Light has come on a couple of times during charging? Should I be concerned?

Please take it to the dealer to check for error codes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:26 am 
Site Moderator

I concur with Tony. I believe there may be a RAV4 related TSB related for a steering wheel lock issue as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:31 am 

I test drove the RAV 4 EV at Walnut Creek. I was planning on leasing it this weekend......untill I came across this forum and this discussion. I brought this to the dealers attention. They assured me everything was based off 'older models' and that there are no issues with 'newer models.'

Thanks for discussing it thoughtfully. I am in the unsure category at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:42 am 

I've had my Rav4 EV for 10 months (11,000 miles). It was in the shop for a month between Jan 15 and Feb 15. They replaced the motor. Since then I have not had a single issue with it. Other than the month in the shop, I have been more than pleased with this car. I would encourage you to get one before they are all gone. Seriously!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:34 pm 

So, are these issues a thing of the past?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:47 pm 

burningmay wrote:
They assured me everything was based off 'older models' and that there are no issues with 'newer models.'

Sounds fishy to me. Did the dealer explain exactly what changes were made to fix each specific problem? I bet not. The only change that we know about from 2012 - 2014 is upgraded firmware. It is possible that some early Tesla ECUs failed more often than current ones. Some of the first RAVs developed noisy motors early on, but this could just be delayed in more recent ones. I don't think that there are enough data to say much more.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:29 pm 

As far as I've heard, the 2014 Rav4 EVs are the exact same vehicle and nav system as the 2012 Rav4 EV, except that the firmware and software has been updated to fix Check EV System errors, communication between Tesla and Toyota technology in the car, and some tweaks to the Infotainment system.

Since my 2012 Rav4 EV received all available software and firmware updates, we haven't had a single issue with the vehicle. It's been over a year since we saw a Check EV System warning error, and - thank goodness - we've never lost power to the vehicle while driving.

If negotiating a lease/purchase, I would insist on Toyota replacing the OEM Yokohama tires with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires to close the sale. Barely any loss of range, but significant noise reduction and improved traction.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 pm 
Site Moderator

Burningmay, this forum like most, tends to focus on "issues" with our cars. However, I would have to say the overwhelming consensus from the members of this forum is that the RAV4 EV has been relatively trouble free. Of course, there have been a few exceptions, and some problems more serious than others. However, overall, the RAV4 EV in terms of owner satisfaction has been a SUCCESS story. On the other hand, Toyota has done very little to shine a light on this electrified variant of their otherwise top sell RAV4. Toyota's only interest in the EV mode is as a zero emissions compliance car for sale only in CA. From a financial standpoint, Toyota is probably loosing money on every RAV4 EV sold at such a low production volume (2600 total). At $49,800 MSRP, it is certainly not in competition with Toyota's other cars in their product lineup. Many of those can be purchased for nearly half as much as the EV, even the PIP. Toyota is selling more Prius models by far. You will be lucky to ever find a RAV4 EV on any dealer's showroom floor for that matter. But, from a technology standpoint, the RAV4 EV is clearly a winner, mainly because of its close kinship with TESLA, and imho is a much better car than any Prius, and a also as good as if not better than a good many of other makes and models of BEVs. But, is it worth the price? Just test drive one and find out for yourself!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next