Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Engine/Power Steering turned off in middle of the freewa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:55 pm 

Blastphemy wrote:
As far as I've heard, the 2014 Rav4 EVs are the exact same vehicle and nav system as the 2012 Rav4 EV, except that the firmware and software has been updated to fix Check EV System errors, communication between Tesla and Toyota technology in the car, and some tweaks to the Infotainment system.

Since my 2012 Rav4 EV received all available software and firmware updates, we haven't had a single issue with the vehicle. It's been over a year since we saw a Check EV System warning error, and - thank goodness - we've never lost power to the vehicle while driving.

If negotiating a lease/purchase, I would insist on Toyota replacing the OEM Yokohama tires with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires to close the sale. Barely any loss of range, but significant noise reduction and improved traction.
The other significant changes in the firmware have to do with charging station compatibility and the vehicle timer skipping charges on the 31st of the month. The way the vehicle charging timer starts too early is a "feature" according to Toyota. Riiiight....

BTW, no dealer is going to change out new tires on a car for free to close the sale. If you think it makes enough difference, do it yourself and sell the Geolandars.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:02 pm 

Thanks everyone.

I did lease it yesterday form Roseville. Got the 12000 miles/year @ $299/month (330 with taxes and fees) with 3999 down. WC folks were not honoring that deal. They added on a zillion fees and taxes (6800 down and 350/month...added $300 for floor mats and $350 for the white color car). Roseville also gave me a much better rate for my trade in and their customer service was top notch. I would highly recommend Toyota of Roseville. No bait and switch, very friendly staff, they honor what they say.

I am using the stock charging cable and its SLOOOOOW. I need to get the leviton or a 240 volt outlet and the JESLA.

What is Diannes deal?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:16 pm 

miimura wrote:
BTW, no dealer is going to change out new tires on a car for free to close the sale. If you think it makes enough difference, do it yourself and sell the Geolandars.
And yet I've been able to do that twice in the past...

burningmay wrote:
What is Dianne's deal?
You may not want to ask since you already closed your lease (it'll just make you depressed.) For the future, though, just know you should always avoid putting down cash upfront on a lease.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:03 am 

It is quite frightening and fearful scene that what I am reading here in this forum all about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:15 pm 

viewtopic.php?p=18264#p18264

Jscifres
Post subject: Re: Check EV System warning message
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:35 am

2 years of trouble free ownership under my belt. On November 22, while driving 35 on a local blvd (luckily not crowded), my rav4 EV lost power and all propulsion systems shut off. Knowing that I likely just experienced an ECU communication failure, I snapped a quick pic (will add shortly) while coasting to a stop, then a couple videos after I stopped.

Due to the holidays, I've finally got the car checked into the dealership today and am hoping they can find a fault code or something.

My mileage was 8300, and I'm not sure if they've ever updated my firmware, as I've only had it in for the free health checkup one time at 5000 miles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:40 am 

Firmware updated to latest version. Mine was the original firmware so I suppose it's surprising that the failure hadn't already happened.

2006 Toyota Sienna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:13 pm 

The exact same thing happened to me in the middle of freeway last Thursday(apr 16th 2015), I was on the fast lane was driving to work with around 70mph, all of a sudden I lost power and had to steer it real hard such that I don't get hit, finally managed to make it to the left shoulder and turn on my emergency blinker, part of my right two wheels were on the fast lane of the freeway and it was a scary scene. The dash had a message check EV soon and "Take it the nearest Toyota dealer immediately" and it would not shift to Drive or reverse even after I did a complete shutdown and tried to turn it on.

Called in 911 and Road side and waited for my fate, finally after 20 mins CHP came in I could see them blocking the freeway, they managed to push my RAV4 EV to the right shoulder with the police car and that gave me a great relief. Toyota road side assistance showed up after an hour and towed it to the Totota dealer in Oakland.

Ever since then I have been calling the dealer 2 times a day its been 6 days now and all I get to hear is that their computers are not connecting to the Tesla server, and until now they do not even know what is wrong with it.

I have had my EV for Just over a year with around 14000 miles on it and was absolutely happy with it until this incident happened.
I leased it in Mar 2104 from Toyota Sunnyvale in California and its some sort of a deep blue color.

Finally I have reported my case to Toyota US customer care at 888-270-9371, they have given me a case number and i was told their management team will work directly with the dealer and I should hear from them by tomorrow , keeping my fingers crossed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:12 am 

This is what should be addressed in the recall.

Glad it worked out ok.

Please make a government safety report to:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleCo ... ndex.xhtml

http://www.SaferCar.gov

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:25 am 

This finally happened to us today. After three years and 46k miles, our Rav4 EV finally went nuts and flashed three messages, the last of which was to immediately bring the car to a dealership (which is a silly message considering the car was a brick).

I didn't react quickly enough to grab photos of each message, but I think the first was something about regenerative braking not being available, then a really long error message warning about the electrical system, and then the Check EV warning.

We were on a side street and I had just stopped at a stop sign. The brakes felt like they failed for a moment, then the car jerked a bit, then the error messages began. Not sure if I lost all propulsion because I was going slightly down hill. But having read this forum, I knew what was coming and quickly pulled over to the curb. I put the car in park and turned it off. When I turned it back on, the car showed an error message stating no propulsion was available. I tried to put the car in drive and nothing happened - dead brick.

Thankfully, from reading this forum, I knew cycling the car several times would eventually restore propulsion. The Check EV System message didn't go away, but the car drove fine. Then, after parking at the grocery store for about 30 minutes, I turned on the car and no error message showed. The car drove fine.

I'm not even going to bother bringing the Rav4 EV in for service because I already know the end result from reading this forum. The techs won't be able to find anything, I won't have the car for a week, and then I'll get it back without anything having been done.

I have the most current firmware, just had 40,000-mile service + EV coolant service in September, and had the Speed Sensor Failure recall done. Guess none of that actually will prevent the Rav4 EV from suddenly dying while driving.

So you've all been warned! None of you are safe in this car; it's just a matter of time...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 am 

Blastphemy wrote:
I have the most current firmware, just had 40,000-mile service + EV coolant service in September, and had the Speed Sensor Failure recall done. Guess none of that actually will prevent the Rav4 EV from suddenly dying while driving.

So you've all been warned! None of you are safe in this car; it's just a matter of time...

We've had several (like 3-4) RAV4 EVs that can't drive up a 7" ramp without triggering the CHECK EV light and popping into neutral. Folks, PLEASE get the new 103 firmware!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next