Tesla 70D vs 85D

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg2.jpg

Tony, I'm guessing that with the JdeMO, BC2BC is no longer challenging ... so you'll be trying to beat the records for west coast to east coast?

I recently test drove the new all wheel drive 70 as well as the all wheel drive super fast p85. Both cars are just a blast to drive. Very roomy in the back as well. And Red is the way to go.
Manny

Luckyduckie said:
Tony, I'm guessing that with the JdeMO, BC2BC is no longer challenging ... so you'll be trying to beat the records for west coast to east coast?

Oh, it will still be plenty challenging with JdeMO; Chargers break, aren't available, blocked, some are slower than others, etc.

Yeah, I am selling my Rav4 to get a 70D also. I am getting a blue one with interior upgrade, grey next gen seats and carbon fiber trim. I am not getting the autopilot. Maybe wait and see how that pans out. I am not paying $2500 for distance cruise control. That does not seem worth it.

You guys don't think it's worth the extra $5k to upgrade to the (single motor) 85 kWh model? Were I in the Tesla ballpark I think that's what I'd do - dual motors is neat, but I'd take as much battery as I can get.

fooljoe said:
You guys don't think it's worth the extra $5k to upgrade to the (single motor) 85 kWh model? Were I in the Tesla ballpark I think that's what I'd do - dual motors is neat, but I'd take as much battery as I can get.

I have been reading up on it and give you this info:

What are the advantages of the S85RWD over 70D?
bigger "frunk"
+25 mile range
increased longevity of battery due to lower number of discharge and recharge cycles
+33 hp increase
same top speed
same battery drive unit warranty
only .2 seconds "slower" 0-60 time

source: http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/s70d-vs-s85-rwd-california

Further more I liked this review very much which imho has excellent info:
For its 21-percent bigger battery, the 85 gets only 10 percent more range. At 265 miles, it has a 25-mile range advantage over the 70D’s 240 miles.
Price At $75,000, the 70D is $5,000 cheaper than the 85.
So the bottom-line trade-off becomes this: With basically the same performance, do I give up 25 miles of range for all-wheel-drive and $5,000 cash in my pocket?
My guess is that most people will answer that question “yes.”

source: http://www.greencarreports.com/news...0d-first-drive-of-new-electric-car-base-model

I would go for a S70D over a S85RWD
But I will wait till my lease is done and probably go for a model X by that time ;-)

fromport said:
For its 21-percent bigger battery, the 85 gets only 10 percent more range. At 265 miles, it has a 25-mile range advantage over the 70D’s 240 miles.
Price At $75,000, the 70D is $5,000 cheaper than the 85.
Those of us with experience driving EVs should know that those EPA range numbers aren't worth the paper they're printed on. 4 years of driving a Leaf and Rav has taught me that kWh is what matters, not "miles."

What do I care if the dual motor configuration allows some EPA tester to driving a little more efficiently in the testing cycle? I know that if I have 15 extra kWh to work with (not sure what the usable difference is) I can watch my efficiency gauge and go at least 50 miles further if I maintain 3.5 miles/kWh, and that's a BIG difference. Hell, 15 kWh equals the ENTIRE usable capacity of my 4 year old Leaf battery! :lol: :cry:

Sure, the dual motors might mean I can accelerate a little bit faster or maintain a slightly higher top speed to maintain that 3.5 miles/kWh target, but I don't think I'd notice or care about that.

I would notice this stuff, on the other hand:
What are the advantages of the S85RWD over 70D?
bigger "frunk"
increased longevity of battery due to lower number of discharge and recharge cycles

So, yeah I think I wouldn't mind adding $5k for 15 kWh, but I do see the allure of the 70D as well. It is interesting that with Tesla's new pricing structure you still go up $10k from the 70D to the 85D, just like you used to go up $10k from the 60 to the 85, but that was for 25 kWh AND supercharger access. Anyway, owning a Model S is still just dreamland for me...

The front motor of the Tesla "D" cars is geared higher, so it is truly more efficient at highway speed. If you're willing to slow down to get higher efficiency, then it doesn't matter as much. The efficiency difference when you're likely to use the full capacity in a single day between the S 85 and S 70D is real, not EPA hand waving.

miimura said:
The front motor of the Tesla "D" cars is geared higher, so it is truly more efficient at highway speed. If you're willing to slow down to get higher efficiency, then it doesn't matter as much.
Yeah, this is my point. I know that the efficiency benefit of the dual motor configuration is real, and sure, that might affect my lifetime efficiency. But in the event of having to make one particular long drive, I'm going to calculate the efficiency I need to make it and drive accordingly (which probably means going slow if it's close.) I'd much rather have more kWh to work with than a vague promise of being able to drive a little faster for the same efficiency.

Really, the only change that I would likely make would be from 70D to 85D.

But, I know how to drive an EV, so I don't really need 85kWh to go from Supercharger to Supercharger. I can adjust my speed accordingly, even as the battery degrades, need cabin heat, or the battery is cold.

#2496 SOLD

#1134 pending

Should be another thread about 70D vs 85, but I'll jump in here anyway.

Here in WA, there's a distinct advantage to AWD or 4WD. In the winter, there are MANY times when EITHER chains OR 4WD are required to go over the mountain passes. And I'm not talking remote passes, this inlcudes Interstate Hwy 90. So, with traction tires and a 70D you're good to go. Even with traction tires, the 85 would require chains or you can't go over the pass when the weather is bad.

If you never go E-W or into the mountains to ski, then the 85 would do fine...

Larry_in_Seattle said:
Here in WA, there's a distinct advantage to AWD or 4WD. In the winter, there are MANY times when EITHER chains OR 4WD are required to go over the mountain passes. And I'm not talking remote passes, this inlcudes Interstate Hwy 90. So, with traction tires and a 70D you're good to go. Even with traction tires, the 85 would require chains or you can't go over the pass when the weather is bad.
Same here in California in the Sierra Nevada, going up to Tahoe, etc.
If I were to get a Model S, it would be the dual motor (AWD) for me, thank you!

fooljoe said:
miimura said:
The front motor of the Tesla "D" cars is geared higher, so it is truly more efficient at highway speed. If you're willing to slow down to get higher efficiency, then it doesn't matter as much.
Yeah, this is my point. I know that the efficiency benefit of the dual motor configuration is real, and sure, that might affect my lifetime efficiency. But in the event of having to make one particular long drive, I'm going to calculate the efficiency I need to make it and drive accordingly (which probably means going slow if it's close.) I'd much rather have more kWh to work with than a vague promise of being able to drive a little faster for the same efficiency.
If it were me, I would take every option that provides more range: more kWh, dual motor with more efficient gearing, lighter weight, smaller frontal area (less drag/wind resistance), etc. Obviously you have to take into account how much each option might cost though.

I'm wishing for a smaller, lighter/more nimble, still sporty, AWD hatchback with range up and over 300 miles (for access to remote locales with no charging opportunities), but I'll take whatever we can get in the near term. RAV4 for now of course!

Back