Oregon launches program to tax drivers by the mile

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a dumb program. if they want tax by the mile, just record the mileage during SMOG and issue a bill.

If they don't do the GPS, how will they differentiate miles travelled in another state? For example, you take a road trip to Disneyland - do you want to pay Oregon road tax for all those miles too? I hate the GPS idea, but it's only viable to do without it in a larger state like California. I don't think any of the car's I've purchased myself have done any significant miles outside CA. Anyway, with that said, they should give you the option to do without the GPS and pay for all odometer miles.

cossie1600 said:
what a dumb program. if they want tax by the mile, just record the mileage during SMOG and issue a bill.
+1, no GPS needed. What does Oregon think that we will cut the speedometer cable :lol:

Very disappointed if an Escalade and Prius pay the same per mile. :(

EVs are directly responsible for this new Oregon form of taxation. Less fill ups at the pump, less gasoline tax to maintain roads, bridges and highways. Federal interstate highways suffer as well. But, if 40 cents out of every tax dollar collected in Oregon for miles driven goes to the GPS vendors, surely something already within the DMV (e.g. annual vehicle registrations, SMOG checks, etc) can accomplish the same thing cheaper.

Personally, I would be in favor of something like this in CA as well, instead of paying annual fees to the State based on the value of a car. I've owned several "garage queens" owned over the years, including motorcycles. The DMV fees have been outrageous considering I hardly ever drive or park them on public roads. One of my cars is currently in this "expensive" situation, and is barely driven over 500 miles year by year. My motorcycle even less. RIP OFF!!! :x

I'm fine with a per mile tax, but adamantly opposed to the government putting a GPS tracker in my car. As far as the in state/out of state issue, the differences will balance out. People from the other state will come and drive in my state. If I spend significant time in another state, they can create a way for me to claim an exemption for those miles. Exactly where and how I drive my car is simply a bridge too far.

Unfortunately, it will probably happen, and with the courts we have these days, I suspect it will pass constitutional muster as well. The government will simply "promise" that they are only capturing the miles traveled.

I would also hope that vehicle weight would be included in the tax calculation as bigger, heavier vehicles cause more traffic and parking congestion and more road wear.

Back