Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Recall: Windshield wiper link corrosion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:42 pm 

At least it isn't anything to do with the Tesla components!
------------------
Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it is conducting a safety recall of approximately 421,000 Model Year 2009-2012 RAV4 and approximately 2,500 Model Year 2012-2014 RAV4 EV vehicles.

In the involved vehicles, water dripping onto the windshield wiper link can, over time, cause corrosion and wear at the wiper link joint. In some cases this could result in the separation of the wiper link from the wiper motor crank arm. If separation occurs, the windshield wipers could become inoperative, which could reduce driver visibility and increase the risk of a vehicle crash.

Owners of the involved vehicles will be notified by first class mail. Toyota dealers will replace the water channel, wiper link, and wiper motor crank arm with new ones.

Post subject: Re: New Recall: Windshield wiper link corrosion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 pm 

mekenig wrote:
------------------
Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. today announced that it is conducting a safety recall of approximately 421,000 Model Year 2009-2012 RAV4 and approximately 2,500 Model Year 2012-2014 RAV4 EV vehicles.

In the involved vehicles, water dripping onto the windshield wiper link can, over time, cause corrosion and wear at the wiper link joint. In some cases this could result in the separation of the wiper link from the wiper motor crank arm. If separation occurs, the windshield wipers could become inoperative, which could reduce driver visibility and increase the risk of a vehicle crash.

Owners of the involved vehicles will be notified by first class mail. Toyota dealers will replace the water channel, wiper link, and wiper motor crank arm with new ones.

Poor DevinL
Now again you are not able to import your rav4ev to Canada ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:26 pm 

How soon will this recall be available? I am taking my RAV4 in to Carson tomorrow morning for its 20,000 mi checkup and for Tony's Jdemo installation.

Since this applies to all RAV4s not just the EV's, can it be performed by a local non-EV dealer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:50 am 
Site Moderator

fromport wrote:
mekenig wrote:
------------------

Poor DevinL
Now again you are not able to import your rav4ev to Canada ;-)

Toyota just doesn't like me.

That 30kWh LEAF looks better and better, and it might just be available here sooner than the RAV4 EV I already own will be. :roll:

Take the Rav4 EV Owner Survey: http://goo.gl/8460go
View the Rav4 EV Owner Registry: http://goo.gl/QtrlKu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:04 am 

What did I miss? Are you having issues Devin?

2014 Rav EV #3364
2012 Plug in Prius

OpenEVSE builds
priuschat.com/threads/my-openevse-build.115573/#post-1647089
Dual voltage, portable 40amp Openevse
myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013&start=120

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:17 pm 
Site Moderator

jimbo69ny wrote:
What did I miss? Are you having issues Devin?

I bought my car out of the lease early this year, before the recall was announced in preparation to import my car into Canada. I moved to Canada in August and because the recall had no solution I've been unable to bring the car to Canada. Transport Canada & the Registrar of Imported Vehicles requires a recall clearance letter from Toyota as a condition of import.

Now the software EV-specific recall is ready and Tony has approved it for use with JdeMO. Toyota has just announced this new wiper recall with no solution available according to the Toyota owner's website, further delaying my ability to import my car to Canada. My car is still in Los Angeles. If the 30kWh LEAF becomes available in Canada sooner I may jump ship and sell the RAV4 EV in California. Serves me right for buying a Toyota I guess.

Take the Rav4 EV Owner Survey: http://goo.gl/8460go
View the Rav4 EV Owner Registry: http://goo.gl/QtrlKu