Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: New California Corridor Fast Chargers Installed
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:57 pm 

evdrive wrote:
I really can't believe I still can't drive to Oregon on fast chargers. What a sad and slow rollout by the state considering that the Oregon and Washington I5 Fast Charge Electric Highway was completed years ago. That being said, when we get the fast chargers to Tahoe up and running, and the ones in Monterey, I will feel a lot more confident driving around Northern California.

The California Energy Commission (CEC) couldn't be bothered to spend money on fast chargers along transportation corridors until they made 2 significant awards this year. In 2015 and earlier they were spending money on things they thought were more important: L2 and a limited number of DCFCs within but not between regions. Oh, and $60M for Hydrogen fueling stations in 2013 - 2015 (along with another $20M this year IIRC).

The existing EVgo DCFCs and the Drive the ARC DCFCs that are now coming online were funded by resources outside of the CEC.

You can call or write the CEC transportation commissioner (Janea Scott) if you want to express your opinion on this: http://www.energy.ca.gov/commissioners/scott.html

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:01 am 

Thanks tgreen, I'll write her a letter.

Happy New Year EV drivers!

2011 Leaf (sold)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:43 am 

An update was posted by the CEC in the form of an Addendum to the Localized Health Impacts Report for the GFO-15-601 North South Corridors grant. 3 ChargePoint sites on I-5 were moved - all to equivalent or better locations as far as I'm concerned. I previously complained about the Grapevine site (Countryside Ct. Lebec) since it was at an exit where there were very few services. That site has been moved to Wheeler Ridge directly across the street from the Tejon Ranch Tesla Supercharger on Dennis McCarthy Drive. The other Lebec site has been moved one more exit down the road and is now directly across the freeway from the EVRUS site in Gorman. The Valencia site has been moved much closer to the freeway.

Once again, here is the link to my interactive map of these sites with the three sites above updated.

CEC DC Fast Charge Sites Map

Also, one more reminder. ChargePoint confirmed that they will be installing their Express Plus system chargers at these sites. That should be a minimum of 156 amps per charger and when pairs of chargers are installed, one can steal power from 78 amp modules in the other charger if they aren't being used.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

Last edited by miimura on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:43 am 

With regards the Chargepoint Express plus chargers, the output of each of the units depends on what the particular configuration of the unit is since they are modular. Each of the power modules puts out 31.25 kW, so the output will depend on the number of the power modules in each unit and if there are additional modules to be shared between units (or if they are even setup that way). Did Chargepoint specify the configuration (number of power modules, connection for sharing of the power, and/or use of a power cube) of the Express Plus units they were planning on installing? I'm investigating the units for use at several locations and the input power required at the full 400 kW output level is quite substantial.

I do look forward to the higher output of the units though, and it will be interesting to see what the power input level will be on our RAV4 EV's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:17 am 

@miimura: Thanks for making and sharing your map and for posting the info about the ChargePoint Express Plus chargers.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:27 am 

It looks like they came on short on those modules, because at 78 amps each, 5 modules come up a wee bit short of the 400 amps they advertise.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:58 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
It looks like they came on short on those modules, because at 78 amps each, 5 modules come up a wee bit short of the 400 amps they advertise.
Really, Tony, 390 amps isn't enough? I don't think they can push over 312 amps without the Power Cube included in the installation. I think it will be a while before we see those in public. They also said that the cooled cables were only good for over 350 amps for a short time anyway. The one thing I do like is that 400 VDC cars are not power limited at all, only current limited.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:11 am 

swogee wrote:
With regards the Chargepoint Express plus chargers, the output of each of the units depends on what the particular configuration of the unit is since they are modular. Each of the power modules puts out 31.25 kW, so the output will depend on the number of the power modules in each unit and if there are additional modules to be shared between units (or if they are even setup that way). Did Chargepoint specify the configuration (number of power modules, connection for sharing of the power, and/or use of a power cube) of the Express Plus units they were planning on installing? I'm investigating the units for use at several locations and the input power required at the full 400 kW output level is quite substantial.

I do look forward to the higher output of the units though, and it will be interesting to see what the power input level will be on our RAV4 EV's.
I suppose I should temper my enthusiasm a little. The I-5 corridor is only specified to have one DCFC, so that would likely be the Express 250 which is a single standalone 62.5kW pedestal, with the specified expansion potential of an additional 125kW. Hopefully they get used a lot and get expanded quickly. That is the whole string from Sacramento to LA with sites in:

Lathrop
Santa Nella
Coalinga
Buttonwillow
Wheeler Ridge
Gorman
Valencia

all with only 1 DCFC. Hmmmm. Maybe not so excited... Now we wait to see what Recargo is going to install on the 101 corridor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm 

miimura wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
Really, Tony, 390 amps isn't enough? I don't think they can push over 312 amps without the Power Cube included in the installation. I think it will be a while before we see those in public. They also said that the cooled cables were only good for over 350 amps for a short time anyway. The one thing I do like is that 400 VDC cars are not power limited at all, only current limited.

Well, I'm regularly using 365 amps right now, so I'd like more.

But my point was that they advertised "400kW = 400a * 1000v"

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:20 pm 

I haven't updated this thread in a while. Several NRG sites have opened, some of which were spotted earlier in this thread but were not open yet.

The Dunes Center at Monterey in Marina California that was spotted in November 2016 finally opened in mid-April 2017.
https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/99329

Getting to Tahoe from the Bay Area is now easier. Starting with US-50 we have two new sites.
Raley's Placerville - https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/116936
Pines Shopping Center - https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/99598

I-80 also a new site in Colfax.
Public Parking Colfax - https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/116660

All three of these sites are NRG and DriveTheArc. They consist to a pair of BTC 100 amp chargers that have CCS and CHAdeMO connectors. I believe that in order for the DriveTheArc app to work properly and give you a free charge on the CHAdeMO connector, you have to let it track your location and you have to set your SOC at the start of your trip and maybe before charging too. I haven't had the chance to try it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next