Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: New California Corridor Fast Chargers Installed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:24 pm 

Back to the actual title of this thread "...Fast Chargers Installed".

There are two EVgo stations marked Coming Soon in Pollock Pines and Twin Bridges in Plugshare. These locations were alluded to on the DRIVEtheARC web site. So, I expect them to use the 100 amp BTC chargers that are part of that initiative. That makes the US-50 route to South Lake Tahoe a cake walk for JdeMO users. There will also be a NRG site at the Raley's in South Lake Tahoe. I saw that on the DtA site before they took down the interactive map.

PlugShare: Pines Shopping Center, Pollock Pines, CA

PlugShare: Strawberry Station General Store, Twin Bridges, CA

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

Last edited by miimura on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:04 pm 

There are two new "DrivetheARC" L3 chargers going in at the Marina Dunes Shopping center. The units are installed and they will be turned on shortly according to plug share.

https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/99329

They aren't powered on yet but it will be nice to have an additional options on the Monterey peninsula.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 pm 

I believe the Watsonville Civic Center location is also a DRIVEtheARC site.

PlugShare: City of Watsonville Civic Center Garage

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:08 pm 

It's amazing how fast a private group like Drive The Arc can install DCFCs compared to the state CEC. I realize that solicitations and awards take time, but the CEC process seems extra long compared with the Federal agency awards I am familiar with (those Federal awards are not energy-related).

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:11 pm 

tgreene wrote:
It's amazing how fast a private group like Drive The Arc can install DCFCs compared to the state CEC. I realize that solicitations and awards take time, but the CEC process seems extra long compared with the Federal agency awards I am familiar with (those Federal awards are not energy-related).
We don't know how long they've been talking to NRG about this project. Sure, once they announce the initiative it's easy to look like they're moving fast. In fact, some of the sites that are marked as part of the initiative were installed before the announcement. Take Dixon for example. They were installed with the standard BTC software, but the NRG logos were offset to the side consistent with the DRIVEtheARC logo scheme. All they have to do is apply the DTA logos and update the software and BOOM, another DTA site. Also, the DTA sites are following the NRG pattern by utilizing existing relationships with Raley's and Walmart where possible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:35 am 

Good point @miimura - I ignored the likely lengthy time it took to secure locations and permits. I had thought that the Nissan / Kanematsu press release announcing the project came out within the past 6 months, but it has in fact been over a year (Oct 2015):

http://insideevs.com/nissan-kanematsu-s ... alifornia/

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:23 am 

There is some additional news about the CEC grant sites that was exposed by a TMC user who wrote to the State because he was concerned about low power chargers being installed. Here is an excerpt of their response.
Quote:
For the I-15 corridor, ChargePoint under this award will be installing at least (2) DC fast charging stations with both CHAdeMO and SAE connectors with a minimum charging rate of 50-kW, (1) dual-port 7.7-kW level 2 charging station, (2) stub outs for future installations, security cameras and lighting at every site along the corridor.

ChargePoint also stated that they plan to install their newest DC fast charging station, once it completes its UL certification, in place of their 50-kW stations. These new DC fast chargers are capable of dispensing up to 125-kw per charging port.

One can only hope that this will be their strategy for all the sites they have been awarded recently.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1871644/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:40 am 

if you have an NRG card already do these new chargers work with that?

2013 Shoreline Blue Pearl Rav4 EV #1634
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor, ER, EAP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:54 am 

n3ckf wrote:
if you have an NRG card already do these new chargers work with that?
Not sure which ones you're talking about. The DriveTheArc chargers are on NRG network, so of course the NRG card will work. Personally, I would try their app first, since it would be free.

The rest of the Corridor Chargers funded by the CEC will be on whatever network the site operator sets up. We don't really know what network or payment methods Recargo (owner of Plugshare) and EV Connect are going to use. Presumably NRG and ChargePoint will just put them on their own networks. There is still talk among the network operators about interoperability and roaming. I saw a reference to ROEV in some State documents recently, so there is still hope on that front.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm 

All I want for Christmas is to be able to travel the state on fast chargers. I appreciate everyone who is keeping the updates coming as these chargers are rolled out.

I really can't believe I still can't drive to Oregon on fast chargers. What a sad and slow rollout by the state considering that the Oregon and Washington I5 Fast Charge Electric Highway was completed years ago. That being said, when we get the fast chargers to Tahoe up and running, and the ones in Monterey, I will feel a lot more confident driving around Northern California.

We are such patient early adopters :)

2011 Leaf (sold)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next