Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Member Introduction
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:13 am 

I have just joined Rav4 EV Forum and I think it'd be great to get to know the other members of the forum. One thing that is common between all the members of Rav4 EV Forum is that we all are car enthusiast or at least interested in cars. So lets introduce ourselves and we might as well find some other common interests.

Post subject: Re: Member Introduction
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 pm 
Site Moderator

Welcome Sam. I'm "Dsinned" (real name, Dennis, male, age 63, married, empty nesters, except for two dogs, both Pomeranians, and a very LOUD, Sun Conure, minature parrot).

Btw, it is helpful to get to know other members when we add some additional information to our profiles and/or "signatures". Anyway, there are only a few of us here so far, but hopefully other owners will join; all 2600 of them!

The RAV4 EV is my second electrified vehicle this year! The best part about that is the "double dipping" allowed for the federal tax credit and CA rebate . . . to the tune of $19,000, almost enough to pay for half of one these things. :shock:

Oh, also, I have the proud distinction of being the very FIRST person to buy a new RAV4 EV from my local dealer, Piercey Toyota in Milpitas, CA. For some reason they are not selling too well though. I think that is because Toyota has done virtually no advertising, which is to be expected for such a low volume vehicle. Which means I guess it is up to us to help spread the word around. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Dsinned on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:24 am 

Tony Williams
Male
San Diego
2.3 kids
Unemployed airline pilot
Owned two Nissan LEAFs
Developed a range chart for the LEAF that I will also do for the Rav4
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 93#p101293

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 am 
Site Moderator

My name is Chris and I live in Costa Mesa, CA. I'm in my early 40s, am married, and have one child. Before buying the Rav4EV, we owned a 2005 Prius and a 2008 Prius. We are selling the '05 to my brother and his fiancé, who are going to use it as a daily driver, replacing a Toyota Sequoia. I believe the Sequoias in NoCal will appreciate that.

I purchased a white Rav4 EV last Sunday (11/11). I had the dealer change out the cloth seats for black leather by Katzkin, which I like much better than the cloth interior. They had originally redone the interior in a grey leather that matched the armrest, but the interior ended up VERY grey, and not attractive to me. They re-did it in black, which I like much better.

I had the Leviton 40A charger installed at my home, which is working very well indeed.

Thanks,
-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:22 am 

Hi all! Count me in as a new (eager) member.

My name is Woody, and I live in Menlo Park, CA. I am 45, married. Upon the passing of Steve Jobs, I transferred my tech idolatry to Elon Musk and Tesla, but with a kid on the way, I thought, "Hey, Rav4, lots of room, Tesla drive train and battery... that's the vehicle for me!" Plus, the Teslas are a bit pricy and luxurious for me and my muddy mountain bike. A stealth-EV was more my speed. Yes, speed.

I previously had a Subaru WRX with 212K miles. And multiple Subarus before that, too. I felt like I was cheating on Subaru a little in getting a Toyota, but there are no available EV Scoobies. I wasn't sure about foregoing AWD, actually, but my wife still has an Impreza if I need to hit the Sierras for some skiing, snowboarding, or singletrack.

I purchased a white RAV4 EV on October 25th at City Toyota in Daly City. I played the Toyota/Leviton 40A charger game in advance (20 days from first call to completed installation, $2290), so I was charger-ready in my garage before buying. I was the first RAV4 EV buyer at this dealership, although there was another woman buying a blue one the same day (she didn't have a charger yet).

I have lots to share, mostly pro and some con, but I am really enjoying the RAV4 EV overall. The "EV grin" straight line acceleration has really won me over. Wow. It feels faster than the WRX.

Right now, I am enjoying being an early adopter. The EV secret (Tesla secret?) won't be a secret for long (not when the Model S is winning Motor Trend car of the year). In 20 years, 80% of the cars on the road will be EVs. This is going to be a big shift. Very rough estimates from my first PG&E bill are that the RAV4 is costing about 1/4th the cost to run than my gasoline powered 24mpg Subaru WRX.

In almost a month, I have about 980 miles. Fun miles. Occasionally, fast (torque steer) miles. The furthest I've driven in one day was about 108.8 miles, and the range still suggested I had 23 miles remaining (this was the first time I used the "extended charge" and I haven't needed it since):

Love the range, love the acceleration, love the stealth, love the significant cargo capacity, love the fast charging at night with the 240/40A Leviton, love the zero emissions. Not a big fan of the center console GUI, the seats and interior refinements, and the lack of a spare tire. And the radio audio seems to flange a bit every once in a while, maybe when the reception isn't great.

Still, this was the first vehicle I wanted to actually purchase in many years. I love the gasp I get from passengers when floor it. Maybe I shouldn't do that so often, but WOW this is the real deal. And thankfully Toyota will be rotating the tires for the first couple of years for free.

Tailpipes are so last century.

See you all in the forums.

Woody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 pm 

RavTesla wrote:
Hi
Tailpipes are so last century.

See you all in the forums.

Woody

Welcome to EVs, Woody.

I actually may put on a tailpipe, since the hangars are still on the car. Then, a little speaker inside....vroom, vroom from my iPhone app.

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:55 am 
Site Moderator

Welcome Woody. I was another "first customer" at my local dealership as well. I had four to choose from, two silvers and two whites. I might have gone for a blue one if they had one. My dealership is Piercey Toyota in Milpitas just off 880 at the turn off to the Great Mall. I went with a "DIY" (plug-in) leviton EVSE L2 charging station rated for 240V and 32A (7.7kW). Gives me a full (extended charge in <7 hours, so works out great for PG&E's E9A very low "off-peak" rates between midnight and 7am.

I live very close to the dealership where I bought my car, and the great thing about that is they allow me to charge for "free" whenever I want. Unfortunately, there are no places to eat nearby, and my workplace is several miles away, or I probably would recharge there at least once per week.

Last time I did an extended charge, one week after purchase, my RAV4 EV topped out at a range of 112 miles. I think it can do a lot better. I scheduled my next charge for delayed start for completion by 7am on Thanksgiving. It will be interesting to see if the range increases any higher this time.

My EFFICIENCY "gauge" so far has a running average indicating ~3.7mi/kWh, but the SUMMARY reading indicated on my EnTunes cell phone app, via the ECO Dashboard, is currently at 3.1 mi/kWh (and slowly rising day by day).

Question for the forum members here, will my fully charged battery's extended range be about 130 miles (3.1 * 41.8) tomorrow morning, or closer to 155 miles (3.7 * 41.8), or still around 112 miles like it was last time???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:01 am 

Dsinned wrote:
Question for the forum members here, will my fully charged battery's extended range be about 130 miles (3.1 * 41.8) tomorrow morning, or closer to 155 miles (3.7 * 41.8), or still around 112 miles like it was last time???

I don't believe you will ever have 41.8kWh available to you. My current guess is 30kWh for a "normal" charge, and 37.6kWh for extended range charge.

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 am 
Site Moderator

Hi Tony. Assuming your right, after an overnight extended charge, will I see around 139 miles on my range estimator, or perhaps 117, based on my current Efficiency gauge reading of ~3.7mi/kWh or my EnTunes ECO Dashboard Efficiency Summary of 3.1mi/kWH respectively? I should know the answer in about 10 hours and will post that range estimate here some time tomorrow.

Last edited by Dsinned on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:34 am 

From what I was told by Toyota the range estimator is calculated from your last few times you drove the car. Very similar to how it's done on a gas car. When I drove the car a lot the range estimator says around 100 miles on an 80% charge and when my wife drives it says around 112 miles. It kills me that she is a better EV driver than me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next