Has anyone replaced their wipers?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Bornstein

My RAV is now 4 years old and the windshield wipers are beginning to streak. Has anyone found a good replacement or should I go to Toyota?

Michael Bornstein said:
My RAV is now 4 years old and the windshield wipers are beginning to streak. Has anyone found a good replacement or should I go to Toyota?

I bought goodyear from costco last year and within a year they started to streak also.
I am considering Bosch Icons from Amazon for my next choise

According to the Bosch website, they carry 12 different lines of wiper blades that will fit the RAV. Is the ICON the best (they do list it first). They also list two different rear blades that will fit, the H307 and the R1216. Any experience with these?

I usually go with Bosch but tried these since they have good reviews.
https://amzn.com/B00RW7X2W2

I bought them about 15 months ago and they are working fine and holding up well. I do like the bosch ones too. I'm not sure which ones will last longer but I typically toss wipers as soon as I see any streaking because it annoys me.

Mike

Sorry to dig up an old post, but does anyone know the size of the wipers? I couldn't find it in the manual, and checking online I've seen a lot of variation. Most places recommend 24" and 17", but it is really inconsistent. I got a tape measure out - and surprisingly that didn't help much either. The passenger side is 18" and the drivers side seems to be 25.5", which isn't even possible. I feel like I'm an idiot, surely this can't be that hard.

I'll admit what did was go into a Walmart, look up 2012 Rav4 (not EV, just regular rav4) over in the auto department, and buy the best wipers they had (not the Rainex ones whatever the next brand down was) and just replaced them.

Worked perfectly.

Remember these cars are almost entirely stock Rav4s and parts are ubiquitous. Toyota made *a lot* of Rav4s.
However you want *2012* Rav4 parts (no matter what year your EV is, they're all 2012 bodies...)

There was a recall for something related to the wipers that was just done when i was at the dealer but i didnt look if they replaced the blades again or not.

I went into Autozone and bought a driver side I believe it said 24" the passenger side is smaller so 17" and 24" sounds about right.

I'm wondering if Toyota is replacing the wiper blades during the recall, too, does anyone know for sure? Feels kind of wasteful to me to replace wipers right before I go in for the recall remediation only to let Toyota throw the new ones away.

4min said:
I'm wondering if Toyota is replacing the wiper blades during the recall, too, does anyone know for sure? Feels kind of wasteful to me to replace wipers right before I go in for the recall remediation only to let Toyota throw the new ones away.

As you might imagine, in the Seattle area wiper blade condition is a Big Deal most of the year. When I bought my RAV4 in August, it had a very bad passenger blade, but we had had a very dry summer and no rain for months, so I wasn't pressed to immediately do anything about it. I purchased Toyota blades online, but held off installing them due to the same concern as you.

Toyota of Seattle performed the wiper recall in late August and did not replace the blades.

I bought one set of blade assys. and one set of replacement rubbers. After verifying that the assys. that came with the car were OEM, I "reloaded" the old assys. with new rubbers, and they're now my ready-to-install replacements for Spring (if I make it through this winter on the new set of assys.). Road grime and long commutes up here are hard on wiper blades.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com

Blade assys.:
85222-0R040 BLADE, FR WIPER, LH (left), $23.10
85212-0R040 BLADE, FR WIPER, RH (right), $15.76
85242-02040 BLADE, RR WIPER (rear), $15.76

Blade rubber inserts only:
85214-50100 RUBBER, WIPER, LH (left), $6.00
85214-12301 replaced by 85214-04012 Rubber, Wiper, RH (right), $6.00
85214-05110 RUBBER, WIPER BLADE (rear), $5.90

The link my fellow Seattle owner posted seems to all be list prices. Here's the discount Toyota OEM place I order from.
Check them out and compare: http://www.oempartworld.com/

They're physically located in Bremerton, WA, but even with sales tax for an in-state buyer, still cheaper than buying elsewhere with shipping costs in most cases.

I have to admit i just went to Walmart and bought wipers for a 2012 "regular" Rav4 and they worked fine... Can't beat the price and availability.

While oempartworld might have better pricing than others, their online lookup system is terrible, and it was impossible for me to search via VIN for a rear door shell just now. Feeding it the part No. from two other sites, it claims it doesn't fit my vehicle and that the part is NLA, which is clearly incorrect. My first impression isn't good.

OTOH, every part I've ordered from toyotapartsdeal has been correct, their invoicing includes the details I need to organize my purchases, and spot checking across other online sources shows best- or second-best pricing.

Back