Checking Firmware and a couple other questions

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sr900400

Hello all, I am looking at RAV4 EV's here in the Las Vegas area and hope to have one within the next 6 months.

I have been reading the forums for what to check when buying a used RAV4 EV, I have read that the latest firmware is 1.3.103 but how do I check this? Is it available on the information display in the car?

I was looking at the Leaf originally but it wouldn't be practical due to the harsh summers here as temperatures average 110-114 degrees between June and August and I drive 50 miles round trip each day to work with no charging station there or conveniently located along the way. On the leaf, there are bars on the display that indicate approximate battery degredation, is there a simple way to check it with the RAV4 EV? In other posts I have seen the "RAV4 EV battery default "Rated Range"" procedure, is this it?

Lastly, Aside from the extended warranty issue, should high mileage much of a factor in the purchase of an EV?

Thank you

I just recently purchased a 2013 RAV4 EV with 65k miles and came from a 2011 Leaf with 39k miles with 30% degradation. I switched because my commute is 80 miles round trip and although I had access to charging it still couldn't make the trip home up to 2000' elevation. I used Leaf Spy a program to monitor battery charge and I would constantly be .5 mile or less of charge remaining home. This was without heat or air.

The RAV 4 even though has greater mileage has the larger battery pack and active battery temperature management. I finally had time to run the "rated range" reset test and it showed 9.6% percent degradation. Driving at 3.5 kWh I would easily be able to get 132 miles on a single charge. I average 3.2 daily due to the elevation change so it is more than capable to handle my daily commute for quite some time.

I have found the range indicator to be very accurate to my driving patterns. I drive between 62-72 most of the time with the occasional pass on a single lane stretch. I don't know of any 3rd person monitoring apps to help determine range or degradation.

Not sure on the firmware I have been through the head unit menus and settings and I think it is listed there but it works and ran an update when I connected my phone so I think its the most recent. Unless of course that's just for the head unit and not firmware for the car.

You can only get the firmware levels through the Toyota software "Techstream" that connects to the OBD port. The car may have modification labels under the hood to indicate what has been installed. They look like this:

Toyota_Modification_Label.jpg

This particular label is for updates to the Toyota parts of the car, not the Tesla parts.

Back