JESLA / Tesla UMC plug recall (again) Dec 2016

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

If you need additional assistance, you can also contact us by phone at 877-798-3752 or by email at [email protected].

How to determine if your adapter is affected by the recall:

Your adapter will likely be included in the recall if you purchased it more than six months ago (Dec 2016). To check, compare the part number on the prong side of the adapter to the table below. If you find a match, your adapter will be replaced.

Recalled Adapter Part Number

NEMA 6-50 1016021-00-A
NEMA 6-50 1016021-00-B
NEMA 10-30 1016174-00-B
NEMA 14-30 1018243-00-A
NEMA 14-30 1018243-00-B

The latest version of the NEMA 14-30 adapter does not need to be replaced. They have part number 1018243-00-C and have a gray plastic cap, rather than a black plastic cap.

Has anyone had any luck trying to exchange any of the recalled adapters listed above? I have the 10-30 and 14-30 adapters. I attempted to exchange my adapters at the Tesla Service Center in Seaside/Sand City and they refused to help me. The service rep said that the adapters had to be purchased from Tesla and not from another party such as a seller on Ebay or another Tesla owner (he even went so far as to say I could have found them in the trash...). I am currently trying to get the online Tesla group help to assist me, but they seem to be stalling since they wanted a Tesla VIN number which I cannot provide.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get the adapters swapped out by Tesla?

swogee said:
Has anyone had any luck trying to exchange any of the recalled adapters listed above?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get the adapters swapped out by Tesla?
I did it by contacting Tesla via their web site – from which I got the email address "[email protected]". I wrote them on March 27th, providing my info and the part numbers of the two adapters that were affected for me.

They responded to my email and asked me some additional questions:
Thank you for contacting Tesla. We apologize for not reaching out regarding this recall as we have come across purchase orders missing customer information making it difficult to reach out to all that have made these purchases. To help facilitate your replacements we would greatly appreciate details regarding your purchase. Please advise if these adapters were purchased directly from Tesla? were a gift? Or perhaps purchased using a different name? We are currently still in the process of sending out adapters, but we will do whatever we can to get yours out this week. Unfortunately, a more accurate ETA is not available at this time. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to resolve this.
I definitely bought the adapters under my name but I may got them through quickchargepower.com when I bought my modified Tesla UMC. Otherwise it would have been through your online store. However, I don’t have a saved receipt for them.
Thank you for this information. I will notify our team in effort to facilitate these replacements. Please reply to this email with your preferred mailing address to send your replacement adapter(s) to. Also, kindly provide your preferred name and phone number for the shipment.
And I did receive the replacements some time later.

Back