Thinking of buying used 2014 Rav4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpman2

Hi,

I'm in the market for a used vehicle and have a Tesla model S. I would like to get a used vehicle to replace my moms 2000 Rav4. The toyota Rav4ev looks ideal. However, it looks like an orphan vehicle. We live in Carlsabd, CA. I've been seeing used Rav4 ev from 16K-24K. Also I see there were some issues with the drive unit. What should I look for in the toyota Rav4ev if I buy one. Are all the drive units bad? Also I see there is a JdeMO quick charge is that worth it? Do most ev users have this installed?

Richard

If was to buy a used RAV4 EV, my approach would be to go to a Toyota dealer that has one and make an offer to them that includes a 5yr/60,000 mile Toyota Platinum Used Car Service Agreement. For example, Toyota El Cajon has a blue one with only about 30,000 miles and is asking $21,000. I would start by offering to pay their asking price including the service agreement, but not go over $22,000 and only that much if it is cosmetically perfect. Any deficiency would be a price reduction at that price. For example, off-brand or significantly worn tires, worn upholstery, etc. With the service agreement, you don't need to worry about the drive unit and other potentially expensive EV specific parts.

Getting the Jdemo depends entirely on how you want to use the car. If you will stay in the coastal portion of San Diego County, then you probably don't need it. By coastal, I mean the area bounded by Oceanside, Escondido, El Cajon, and the mexican border. If the RAV would regularly need to go to Orange County or LA, then I would definitely get it.

I don't know for sure how many JdeMO units have been installed. Maybe the Zeemap is updated, maybe not. Today it says 116 have been installed.

Im happy to evaluate any potential RAV4 EV purchase at the new Quick Charge Power world headquarters at:

1780 La Costa Meadows Drive
Suite 104
San Marcos, CA 92078

For a local purchase, I would make our review contingent on your purchase.

Also, please check this out:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20079#p20079

As to whether or not you need JdeMO, I think the post above makes it quite clear that if you're staying in San Diego County, you may be OK without it. For driving outside of San Diego County, I highly recommend it. There are hundreds of places to charge in SoCal in 30-45 minutes:

You_Doodle_2017-04-18T15_17_56Z.jpg

Back