how do i reset things after a dead 12v battery recharge?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferenc

left interior lights on by accident and system was dead after two days.
i recharged the battery and things seem ok, but the manual and the display say to have it checked at dealer.

i'd prefer to just reset things and see how it goes, but do not know how to get rid of the message, etc.

some seemingly related posts are not clear for me to proceed - help welcome!

I thought that a dead battery would reset things on its own, but apparently after recharging the dead battery, it needed another reset, which seems to have been successful with a 10mm wrench used to remove the negative battery terminal for a minute or so.

I'll have to check the charging circuit - same as on other vehicles - while engine running and/or during battery pack recharge?

Wish the manual was useful,
Ferenc

ferenc said:
I thought that a dead battery would reset things on its own, but apparently after recharging the dead battery, it needed another reset, which seems to have been successful with a 10mm wrench used to remove the negative battery terminal for a minute or so.

I'll have to check the charging circuit - same as on other vehicles - while engine running and/or during battery pack recharge?

Ferenc

I have noticed that the "Check EV System" message seems to work similar to the Prius "Check Hybrid System" message. If the ECU detects an issue of some kind then it sets a check-system flag. This flag stays set for 4 power-up/power-down cycles beyond the last time the issue was last detected.

Consider it par for the course that you should power down and power up for four cycles to clear the message. If the message persists beyond that, then you've got some debugging to do.

ferenc said:

Ferenc
There's dead and there's dead. Leaving the light on probably ran the battery down to some too low to function voltage like 5-8v, then you charged it back up. The electronics were never actually completely powered off until you disconnected the cable.

Back