Odometer miles and range miles are not the same measures

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobayimage

I have had my EV for 2 weeks now and think it’s a great and fun car. Today I took on the longest trip so far, from Palos Verdes to Pelican Hill in Newport and back. I picked the flattest route and drove the freeway mostly behind semi trucks so I could travel about 56 MPH on the way down. I kept a very light foot on the accelerator and without the AC on. Google and car’s map indicated the trip to be 44 miles each way. I started the trip with 101 miles on the range meter (the battery was not fully charged) and arrived at Pelican Hill with 74 miles left on the meter. It appears I drove 44 miles on 27 miles of EV energy. On the way back I energy splurged and drove at 65 MPH in the HOV lane and arrived home with 35 miles left on the range meter. By the range meter I drove 44 miles on only 40 miles of energy. Odometer miles and range miles are not the same measures.
I wonder what the maximum Toyota, or anyone for that matter, has traveled on an full extended charge to an empty battery?

sobayimage said:
I have had my EV for 2 weeks now and think it’s a great and fun car. Today I took on the longest trip so far, from Palos Verdes to Pelican Hill in Newport and back. I picked the flattest route and drove the freeway mostly behind semi trucks so I could travel about 56 MPH on the way down. I kept a very light foot on the accelerator and without the AC on. Google and car’s map indicated the trip to be 44 miles each way. I started the trip with 101 miles on the range meter (the battery was not fully charged) and arrived at Pelican Hill with 74 miles left on the meter. It appears I drove 44 miles on 27 miles of EV energy. On the way back I energy splurged and drove at 65 MPH in the HOV lane and arrived home with 35 miles left on the range meter. By the range meter I drove 44 miles on only 40 miles of energy. Odometer miles and range miles are not the same measures.
I wonder what the maximum Toyota, or anyone for that matter, has traveled on an full extended charge to an empty battery?

That is really good news. It also matches the rumors that Toyota under promised the range on the car. I'm really happy to hear this since it will make for happy EV owners unlike some other car companies that promise way more than the car can possibly deliver.

I saw one review where the car got 120 miles of range and on the Tesla forum a poster got 128 miles:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4259-The-New-RAV4-EV/page81?p=208739&viewfull=1#post208739

I am currently experiencing a different issue. The maximum range after I charge has been all over the map. When I first got the car in early October it would charge to 83 miles in normal charging mode. For the next two weeks it steadily increased until I got 101 miles after one charge. It then slowly decreased to where I am back to mid eighties in charging. I tried extended charging and could only get it to 95 miles. I haven't tested these numbers against actual odometer miles.

Yesterday I drove 100 miles and I started out with a range of 93 miles. I was driving conservatively and this morning after an overnight charge, I had a range of 108 miles. I could not figure that out until I read a post on another forum that said the range is calculated using your most recent miles/KWHR.

Back