Towing with the RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Click here for how to install the trailer hitch and trailer wiring

8339B6D5-DA07-41D6-9906-6DA5F0E513BE-6208-000003611877E4EB.jpg

9D367278-229A-4A27-8748-E884AAED0F58-4691-0000026DA1055472.jpg

I understand that Toyota recommends against using the vehicle to tow a trailer but I am wondering if anyone has experience doing it.

Need TonyWilliams to chime in here.

It's definitely been done....look here.

*** Moderator Edit: I moved the pictures to the beginning of this thread. Tony ***

My guess is that light towing is fine. I've seen a camry towing a sunfish sailboat (trailer + sailboat = 300-400 pounds) out of our boat club (and up a very steep hill).

Mike

Click here for how to install the trailer hitch and trailer wiring

Yes, you can easily add the towing hitch and trailer wiring. Obviously, this 4000 pound car with 273 foot/pounds of torque will tow just fine. I recommend trailer brakes for safety.

Now, will the inverter or motor or batteries overheat pulling a long hill in 120 degree heat? I don't know. Will it stop on a long downhill with no compression breaking from a gasoline or diesel motor? Maybe not, particularly as the battery gets fully charged and regenerative breaking reduces causing the brakes to OVERHEAT and fail.

Of course, it can do the same thing without a trailer going downhill with a load of nuns inside.

Tony thank you for the great pictures. I am really impressed. I agree with your thoughtful assessment and suggestion of trailer brakes. This just reinforces my decision for buying my RAV 4EV.

Thanks Again :)

Wow you were able to pull a Leaf Tony? Whats that weigh, around 3500lbs?

I am also curious about launching boats. Those ramps get slippery.

Have any of you tried launching boats? I'd like to get a boat and I'm wondering how the Rav performs towing and on a boat launch ramp.

Thanks!

I do a lot of power boating. Luanching is easy, it's retrieval that's difficult. The Rav4 EV has plenty of power but depending on the ramp and boat, front wheel drive is a problem. The boat assisst can be risky. I would never do it with my outboard with a $300 prop and $10k motor it's just not worth the risk - if the tilt is just a little too low the prop is gone and maybe gearbox/engine damage. With my inboard I will do that if needed, but the prop is protected by a trailer cage under the boat so there's no way for it to get damaged.

With a shallow ramp retrieval is easier, but then you need to back way into the water to float the boat. With a steep ramp it's better for the process, but more difficult to get traction with the vehicle. Then the ramp surface vary so much from corrugated to moss covered smooth cement, etc. I would never tr to retrieve my 26' Hurricane (3500#?) without rear or 4wd and not using a pickup as no weight oin the rear wheels. I use my Yukon or a Jeep. My 19' Ski brendella (2300#?) I can launch / retrieve with a pickup truck. The Brendella would definitely be okay that with the RAV on a good boat ramp as it is pretty light. So it just depends on the boat, the ramps you normally use, length of trailer, etc.

So your 19' Ski brendella 2300 # boat is about the largest one you think you could move safely?

Thank you for the info. I fear that the boat I'd want is larger than the Rav could handle.

jimbo69ny said:
So your 19' Ski brendella 2300 # boat is about the largest one you think you could move safely?

Yeah probably. I'm guessing at the weight too. I think the Rav will do well towing, especially with electric or surge brakes on the trailer but I would be very concerned about retrieveing a larger boat.

- Holy $#*%!, I just looked up the weight for the Brendella and it is 2200#, so with gear 2300 is a pretty good guess.

Back