EVSE EV Charging Cost Calculator

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=49494&minisite=10251

Just enter the information pertinent to your particular EVSE L1 or L2 charging equipment and this Cost Calculator will tell you how long to fully charge and how much it costs. A 2012 RAV4 EV's fully charged battery capacity is either 35kWh (standard charge) or 41.8kWh (extended charge), and the national average for electricity is typically 12 cent per kWh. The latter may be disclosed on your monthly utility company's electric bill (e.g. PG&E is typically used in Northern CA).

This calculator only predicts the cost for each charge, not cost for all charges per month. The national cost average for electricity is generally accepted to be $.12/kWh, unless you have a specal "TOU" (Time of Use) rate plan. If you use PG&E, you can apply for that (aka: Rate Plan E9A or E9B for customers with a 2nd dedicated meter used for EV charging and/or a residential solar energy system. Keep in mind that PG&E's "E9" residential EV owner/customer rate plan(s) for electric power are generally significantly lower during "off-peak" hours between midnight to 7am year round, and certain other day time hours during weekends except for 5pm to 9pm.

Here's a typical calculation for the RAV4 EV:

Input Data:
EV Range (miles): 113
Battery Capacity (kW): 41.8
Average Energy Price ($/kWh): $ .12
Charge Voltage: 240
Charge Current: 40
Assumed Charging Efficiency: 80 %

Calculations:

Total Charge: 49.2 kW
Time To Fully Charge: 5.1 hours
Range per Hour of Charge: 22.16 miles
Cost to Charge: $5.90
Dollars per Mile: $0.05

I will add some real world PG&E bill data to Dsinned's analysis:

My first month of use:
• At the beginning of the month, I switched to PG&E E9A residential plan, charging up the RAV4 EV each night between midnight and 7AM.
• All nightly charges were in regular (80%) mode except two nights, which were extended (100%) mode.
• I have the Toyota-recommended Leviton 240/40A charger in my garage.
• I drive the RAV4 EV both aggressively and conservatively, depending if I am "showing it off" or just commuting.
• 99% of the charging during the month was during the discounted hours on the E9A rate plan.

The first month's bill was about $45 more in electricity due to the RAV4 EV charging at night.
I have driven about 850 miles during this time.

This equates to about $0.053 per mile. My experience comes very close to Dsinned's calculation. By comparison, a 30mpg car is $0.127 per mile, or 2.4 times more expensive than the RAV4 EV per mile.

Rough estimates, I acknowledge, but I bet this is close.

Back