How does the TPMS work???

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

I believe the RAV4 EV has a low Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). I know it has four independent radio transmitters integrated into pressure sensors in each tire stem. But, there does not seem to be a way to readout the tire pressures in the instrument panel. I searched the Owners Manual for more information and only found something about a visual "warning" light on the I/P that comes on when a low tire pressure condition occurs. But how does it tell you which tire is low and how much pressure is currently being sensed in each tire? Am I missing something here?

It doesn't tell you pressure or which tire is low. Just a simple light will come on to tell you that one or more don't meet the threshold of pressure.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tirepresfinal/index.html

"This document establishes two compliance options for the short-term, for the period between November 1, 2003, and October 31, 2006. Under the first compliance option, a vehicle''s TPMS must warn the driver when the pressure in any single tire or in each tire in any combination of tires, up to a total of four tires, has fallen to 25 percent or more below the vehicle manufacturer''s recommended cold inflation pressure for the tires, or a minimum level of pressure specified in the standard, whichever pressure is higher. Under the second compliance option, a vehicle''s TPMS must warn the driver when the pressure in any single tire has fallen to 30 percent or more below the vehicle manufacturer''s recommended cold inflation pressure for the tires, or a minimum level of pressure specified in the standard, whichever pressure is higher. Compliance with the options would be phased in during that period by increasing percentages of production."

"The second part of this final rule will be issued by March 1, 2005, and will establish performance requirements for the long-term, i.e., for the period beginning on November 1, 2006. In the meantime, the agency will leave the rulemaking docket open for the submission of new data and analyses concerning the performance of TPMSs. The agency also will conduct a study comparing the tire pressures of vehicles without any TPMS to the pressures of vehicles with TPMSs, especially TPMSs that do not comply with the four-tire, 25 percent compliance option."

That's what I thought and its ashame . . . because with all the high tech and computer controlled gadgetry as standard equipment in a RAV4 EV, you'd think Toyota would have provided a digital display readout in the DIC for tire pressures like GM has on its vehicles. That would be a really nice feature! Toyota are you listening???

Dsinned said:
That's what I thought and its ashame . . . because with all the high tech and computer controlled gadgetry as standard equipment in a RAV4 EV, you'd think Toyota would have provided a digital display readout in the DIC for tire pressures like GM has on its vehicles. That would be a really nice feature! Toyota are you listening???

The Tesla has a screen where you can reprogram your TPMS and read them out too. I cannot even figure out how to get the TPMS programmed for the sensors in my snow tires. I think the RAV4EV has a proprietary protocol for doing so that is not supported anywhere. The dealership would do it for $144, no thanks.

Dsinned said:
On this note, http://priuschat.com/threads/does-tire-pressure-monitor-indicate-too-high-pressure.91921/#post-1295550 might be insightful/interesting.

RTM. The TPMS only drives a warning light if the tire pressure drops below a certain point. I don't recall if there is sync / programming info in the manual.

Back