Toyota Rav4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam

For the members of Rav4 EV Forum members, I found this article explaining the concept of Rav4 EV.
The first-generation Toyota RAV4 EV went into production in 1997. Powered by a nickel-metal hydride battery pack, it had a real world driving range of 80-110 miles on a single charge. 1,484 vehicles were sold or leased in the U.S., and more than half of those are still on the road today.

The second-generation RAV4 EV demonstration vehicle represents an important milestone in Toyota’s unique collaboration project with Tesla. A key aspect of the partnership is to establish a new product development model that incorporates Tesla’s streamlined, quick-action approach. Under this new process, Tesla is responsible for supplying the powertrain and related components according to Toyota engineering specifications while Toyota works to seamlessly integrate the powertrain.

In comparison to the RAV4 V6, the RAV4 EV electric powertrain adds 220 pounds, yet the rate of acceleration is nearly equal. Actual real world driving range is approximately 100 miles from a full battery charge. The demonstration vehicle features distinct exterior styling changes, including a new front bumper, grille, head lamps, fog lamps, and 18” alloy wheels. The interior received custom seat trim, multimedia dash displays, push-button shifter and dashboard meters. The RAV4 platform brings a 73-cubic-foot cargo area with rear seats folded down – no cargo space was lost in the conversion to an electric powertrain. The technical features and appearance of the RAV4 EV demonstration vehicle will serve as targets for the fully engineered, market-ready vehicle, expected to launch in 2012.

Welcome to the RAV4 EV forum!

Nice article, however I believe the "production" car has 17" wheels,. Also, with respect to acceleration, because the EV does not have a traditional four speed automatic transmission or manual "stick" shift, I think zero to 100 is actually much faster.

Back