REFUEL Results at Laguna Seca

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miimura

PluginCars.com has a story on the REFUEL 2013 event that took place at Laguna Seca here.
The fastest car without a Tesla name on it, but with Tesla manufactured drive train components under the hood, was a Gen II Toyota RAV4 EV, driven by Billy Kwan with a 2:10.506 lap time. The fastest BMW ActiveE was driven by Jack Brown, for a 2:10.901 lap time. The fastest Honda Fit EV was driven by Matt Walton for a 2:19.378 lap time. The fastest Nissan Leaf was driven by Rick Corcoran for a 2:31.952 lap time.
Yes, you read that right, a RAV4 EV beat the fastest ActiveE! As a RAV owner, I find that very amusing.

I was wondering how a leaf can turn 2:02 last year. I think I try almost everything I have on my book to get down to 2:10.

I sure want more power! I can catch teslas in the corners but they pull away after turns. All the margin I build up during down hill, lose it all during incline. My wife was with me in the earlier sections and we have so much time looking at the mph number going up hill. She asked:"Did you floor it?" 73..................74.........................75

Anyone has a "jail break" to unlock the true power of our bloodline?

Great post BBQ,

The highest performance Model S 85 allows for a 3.5C pulse from each cell (assuming 350kW from a 100kWh pack).

Ours is about 2.6C pulse (129kW from a 49kWh pack).

If you could tap into that higher current setting of 3.5C, you'd theoretically get 170kW out of the pack and 150kW out of the motor.

From friends that work in tesla, P85 motor has slightly different HW then the non-P version. Just need the power of the model S 60kW will be a double of HP of what we have now. :D

BBQ said:
From friends that work in tesla, P85 motor has slightly different HW then the non-P version. Just need the power of the model S 60kW will be a double of HP of what we have now. :D

I assume, when you say HW you mean hardware? I thought I read somewhere that the difference is in the inverter, and that may be the only hardware change. The motor may be the same. The inverter differences may also include software changes that raises the current draw of the inverter. In fact, a software switch is probably the difference between regular mode and sport mode in our cars.

I thought I also read somewhere that the gearing for our cars was different. I would totally pay to unlock some extra HP and torque and surprise even more people with the RAV4.

madcow said:
I thought I also read somewhere that the gearing for our cars was different. I would totally pay to unlock some extra HP and torque and surprise even more people with the RAV4.

The concepts are different for EVs from ICEs. In an ICE you get torque at the wheels by using gears. You can make an analogy between the inverter in an EV and the transmission in an ICE. Because the torque of our electric motors is delivered more evenly on the RPM range we don't need a transmission.
As Tony said the gearing is the same and I would guess the motor is the same. I am guessing that the inverter is also the same or only different because it is probably software limited in terms of allowing current and hence torque. Software would be the most cost effective way for Tesla to implement the RAV4EV because it would mean Tesla only has to wind one motor, build one transmission and keep spare parts for only one set.

BBQ said:
Does anyone know the 40kw model S spec? I could not find them online now.
People that originally ordered 40kWh cars and still wanted it that way were given 60kWh cars that were software limited to 40kWh usable. Upon paying the $10,000 difference, the car can be "upgraded" by Tesla to 60kWh by the original or any subsequent owner. Interestingly, there is an entry for each of the three versions at http://www.fueleconomy.gov. The 40kWh car is rated 93/96/94 MPGe City/Hwy/Combined while the 60kWh car is rated 94/97/95 and the 85kWh car is rated 88/90/89. I'm sure the 40 would have been even higher if it had less battery weight to haul around.

How about output power and max range spec. of the 40kwh model s?

Since our motor is the same and battery is almost the same, we should be able to safely get to the similiar spec with proper "jail break".

BBQ said:

Since our motor is the same and battery is almost the same, we should be able to safely get to the similiar spec with proper "jail break".

I'm not sure what you're going to "jail break". The motors are all the same regardless of the battery size. The Performance Model S has more windings, however.

Could you increase the power output... of course, but that has little bearing on what the 40kWh Model S has.

Our battery is larger than what was planned for the 40kWh Model S (we are close to 50kWh). The maximum range of the Model S wouldn't apply to our cars with brick like aerodynamics (in comparison).

BBQ said:

By "jailbreaking" I assume you mean removing the inverter limitation on power. I have thought about that and the look I would get when I blew off some guy at the stop light. It is definitlely intriqing, but other than that I am not sure what I would do with that much torque. As it is in Sport Mode, the car really moves.

Ampster said:
BBQ said:

By "jailbreaking" I assume you mean removing the inverter limitation on power. I have thought about that and the look I would get when I blew off some guy at the stop light. It is definitlely intriqing, but other than that I am not sure what I would do with that much torque. As it is in Sport Mode, the car really moves.

Good luck with front wheel drive with more torque!!! When the prototypes were built, the Tesla guys did do some sub 4 second 0-60mph runs for entertainment.

The best way, IMO, to make an ultimate sleeper is with an added rear wheel drive motor. That thing would launch HARD.

TonyWilliams said:
Good luck with front wheel drive with more torque!!! When the prototypes were built, the Tesla guys did do some sub 4 second 0-60mph runs for entertainment.

The best way, IMO, to make an ultimate sleeper is with an added rear wheel drive motor. That thing would launch HARD.

LOL I know what you mean. I can already break the front tires loose in Sport mode.

REFUEL 2014 is open for registration. 3 RAV4 EV have signed up. Anyone else?

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=467

Back