Key advantages of RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam

RAV4 EV is a Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) and has an EPA-rated driving range of 103 miles [6] (92-mile range in Normal charge mode; 113-mile range in Extended charge mode), which is more than enough range for most daily commutes. It has impressive dynamic performance, and accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 7.0 seconds in Sport Mode. [7] RAV4 EV has the practical size and cargo capacity of a small SUV, and a 10-kW onboard charger that will fully charge the battery in five to six hours (240V/40A).

Some or all of these advantage must be taken with a grain of salt . . . I believe them to be rather conservative attributes of the overall performance envelop of the RAV4 EV. For instance, in certain driving situation, the actual range may be considerably greater. I believe 140 or even 150 miles is possible for the absolute maximum range an extremely energy efficiently driven RAV4 EV can travel on a fully charged battery. The EPA's rating is almost laughable by comparison, but they are not factoring in how efficiently the average person will drive it! Furthermore, the zero to 60 capability of this, the world's most aerodynamic, electrified SUV, "feels" a whole lot faster. :mrgreen:

Dsinned said:
Some or all of these advantage must be taken with a grain of salt . . . I believe them to be rather conservative attributes of the overall performance envelop of the RAV4 EV. For instance, in certain driving situation, the actual range may be considerably greater. I believe 140 or even 150 miles is "theoretically" the absolute maximum range the extremely energy efficient RAV4 EV can travel on a fully extended charge battery. The EPA's rating is almost laughable! Furthermore, the zero to 60 capability of this, the world's first and most aerodynamic electrified SUV, "feels" a whole lot faster. :mrgreen:

I'm sure somebody will drive this car 200 miles just to put a notch on their belt. One LEAF driver in Phoenix did 151 miles (EPA 73 mile range).

I believe the 1997-2003 Rav4 was the first production electric SUV.

The acceleration attributes of the RAV4 EV is what I am most curious about since it has essentially the same pedigree as a Tesla Model S. I think its specifed 0 to 60 of 7.0 seconds is somewhat lower than actual. I've never seen a recording of its SS 1/4 mile ET, probably because it is limited to a top speed of 100mph, so what's the point. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know if it hits the speed governor before the end of the drag strip. I've seen a slightly faster 0 to 60 of "6.8 seconds" referenced somewhere, but I don't remember the source. It certainly FEELS faster than that to me just going by a "SOTP" (seat of the pants) perception of maximum acceleration. I own a late model Corvette Z06, so I have some familarity with such things. :mrgreen:

Back