Can Rav4 EV detect charger amperage

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaMonster

My Rav4 can detect whether there is a 120V or 240V charger plugged in, but should it be able to tell whether a 240V charger is 30A vs. 40A??

I ask because I have a 40A charger and the car's charge time estimates are way off. I wonder if it is improperly detecting the charger's current or if it is just using a fixed built-in multiplier for all 240V chargers regardless of current. The estimates I get are likely what you would see for a 30A charger. I have the Leviton 40A charger.

Thanks

Good question! I don't know the answer, but I suspect the car "knows", if it is in full compliance with the J1772 standard.

I spoke to Toyota and they say that the car definitely does detect a 30A charger vs. a 40A charger. So now I need to determine what is happening:

1) My car is improperly detecting my charger
2) My charger is improperly identifying itself
3) The car and charger are working properly, but the car just estimates charge times poorly.

I figure it has to be one of those three. The car is going in to Toyota next week when the EV team is visiting my dealership. They will be looking at this issue and why the scheduled charges don't happen every night.

SeaMonster said:
The car is going in to Toyota next week when the EV team is visiting my dealership. They will be looking at this issue and why the scheduled charges don't happen every night.

Why is the EV team coming to the dealership, and which one?

They will be in Carlsbad Thursday, Nov 29, looking at my car for a melting charging port (pics elsewhere in this forum).

I have no idea why "they" are coming. I am just the customer. I also don't really know who "they" are other than they are people from Toyota who know more about EVs than the folks at the dealership. It's a new car with new technology and it makes sense to me that Toyota would have "experts" regularly visiting the dealerships to help with training and issues. They aren't coming because of my issues, but my dealer let me know that if I could bring my car in then, they would have them look at it. I consider the issue in this post to be very minor. My real issue is that the car misses (completely ignores) nightly scheduled charges fairly often (about 40% of the time).

I'll definitely post anything I learn.

Back