Tesla Model S vs. RAV4 EV . . . by the numbers

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

TESLA MODEL S(85): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RAV4 EV:

Horsepower: 362HP @ 6000 rpm . . . . . . 154HP
Max Torque: 325 ft-lbs . . . . . . . . . . . . 273 ft-lbs
Curb Weight: 4681 lbs . . . . . . . . . . . . 4032 lbs
Wt/HP ratio: 12.9 lbs/HP . . . . . . . . . . 26.0 lbs/HP
Wt/TQ ratio: 14.4 lbs/TQ . . . . . . . . . . 14.8 lbs/TQ
Drive ratio: 9.73:1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.73:1
Zero to 60: 5.0 secs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.0 secs

Note, highlighted in red, I added a slightly different way (based on max. torque) of expressing the usual power to weight ratio, both at zero rpm, which I think is a more equitable comparison between purely electric vehicles. Not too surprising, Tesla's acceleration advantage (highlighted in blue) is only slightly better (0.4 lbs per unit of torque) because of the large difference in each vehicle's curb weight. Tesla's max. HP is much higher because it peaks at 6,000 rpm (with a redline of 16,000 rpm), whereas Toyota's probably peaks substantially lower, but it would very interesting to see dynojet power curves on each vehicle someday.

Based on this simple comparison, does anybody really believe the RAV4 EV's zero to 60 time is actually 7.0 seconds in sport mode??? Maybe, maybe not perhaps because of RWD vs. FWD. Maybe not, because of differences in throttle calibrations. And maybe not, even because of aerodynamic drag differences. All of which play a factor in best case acceleration scenarios. BUT . . . logical tells me, the biggest factor is power to weight ratio, and both these EVs have essentially a flat line at max torque from zero to 60 mph. I'm not even factoring in the advantage the RAV4 has in terms of a smaller diameter (driven) wheel and tire size which effectively increases its torque applied to the road.

The seat of my pants tells me Toyota is withholding potential bragging rights to the RAV4 EV being one of, if not THE FASTEST SUV off the line on the planet!!! When you consider the difference in selling prices, I got to hand it to Toyota (and Tesla) for developing one helleva of battery powered Sport Ute!!! :mrgreen:

Dsinned said:
TESLA MODEL S(85): . . . . . . . . . . . . . . RAV4 EV:

Horsepower: 362HP @ 6000 rpm . . . . . . 154HP @ ??? rpm
Max Torque: 325 ft-lbs @ 0 rpm . . . . . . 273 ft-lbs @ 0 rpm
Curb Weight: 4681 lbs . . . . . . . . . . . . 4032 lbs

The seat of my pants tells me Toyota is withholding potential bragging rights to the RAV4 EV being one of, if not THE FASTEST SUV off the line on the planet!!! When you consider the difference in selling prices, I got to hand it to Toyota (and Tesla) for developing one helleva of battery powered Sport Ute!!! :mrgreen:

I wonder if the S-40 will be lighter (which is a better comparison to the Rav4).

The local Tesla Service center told me they had the prototype Rav4's doing 3.9 second 0-60.

TonyWilliams said:
I wonder if the S-40 will be lighter (which is a better comparison to the Rav4).

The local Tesla Service center told me they had the prototype Rav4's doing 3.9 second 0-60.

It certainly seems almost that FAST in sport mode! :mrgreen:

Back