Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Solar panels for home for those in SCE area
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:20 pm 

For thise with Rav4 in SCE area, have you gone solar and if so what have you been able to save?

We just bought a house in Murrieta. I drive 100 miles each day on my rav so use about 30kWh per day.

Last home we were using around 14 KWh per day.

Our bill since switching to SCE EV program has been around $200 per month.

Trying to figure out if going solar will be worth it. We also have a pool in backyard now.

I know we will qualify for HERO program.

If anyone has used it, do solar panels get finances over 20-25 yrs?

Trying to figure out if that would end up costing me less than my current SCE bill.

Thanks,
G

Post subject: Re: Solar panels for home for those in SCE area
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:15 pm 

I have a 3kW system. Paid cash. Break even is looking like 5 to 6 years.
Real advantage is getting on the SCE EV TOU rate to sell at 30 to 45 cents during the day and fuel the RAV at 9 or 10 cents at night.

HERO program looks interesting but I would go with a HELOC if available to you.
I prefer to get things paid asap and HELOC would appear to be more flexible.

In hind sight 4kW would have been better but don't go too big or you have diminishing returns.
Completely zeroing out the $$$ is different from zeroing out kWh when you are on TOU.

My annual bill was just over $2,000. Now closer to $250-$400.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:20 pm 

I have had solar for almost 5 years and am extremely happy. The Rav4EV eats up electricity so having solar will really benefit you in the long run. I recommend SolarCity. Now they are doing 20 year or more leases versus when I did ours at 15 years. I pursued a one time lease, where you pay a one time fee and make no additional payments. It worked out to be cheaper than purchasing outright as well as getting SolarCity to maintain the system. Also should you sell your home it will be a no brainer for someone to take over the lease given there is no cost to them. If you don't have the money you can certainly get low monthly down to zero out of pocket. But you get what you pay for. Should your new buyer refuse to takeover the lease you will have to pay it off. So consider placing a payment that freezes the lease payment and prevents it from changing as a minimum. We designed our system to cover 70% of our usage. This was before we had a plug in car. If I was doing it today I probably would have upped it to 85%. Temecula gets really hot in the summer. Just my 2 Cents.

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:14 pm 

drmanny3 wrote:
I recommend SolarCity.

Look at the contracts.
eg:
If they install a solar system worth $20k, 10 years and you sell the house after 4 years, you would expect
something that you can pay off the system for about 60% of the $20k.
If you look at the contracts, most of the offers I looked at (including SC), had something like a 300% of the original price payoff price.

Buyer beware.
Imho, it's always better to remortgage your home or even get a loan somewhere.
I did complete install myself, and my payback price was 3.5-4 years.
for the complete system. With the increase in pricing of the utilities and pricing of solar has come down, I think that might be even less nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:05 pm 

Congratulations on installing your own system! Here is how my lease works. As an example, mine is for 15 years, had I elected to go with 5000 down my lease payment would have been something like $60 per month without any increases over 15 years. If when I sold the home and the new buyer refused to take over the lease then it would become due and payable. I would have been responsible for the remainder of payments over the entire lease. SolarCity is very upfront and spelled out everything clearly. Remember it is Elon M. we are talking about. Had I gone with zero down, then they gave me the monthly payment plus a yearly increase for the duration of the lease. Again had I not been able to transfer the lease then I would have had to pay all the lease payments. Once I had paid all the lease payments I would have a choice of having the system removed at their expense, or having them update and start a new lease or they could walk away and it is mine. This lease program is not unlike the ones we have with Toyota. The end part may be different but generally if you fail to pay you can be obligated for the entire lease which you know in advance. Or if you sell the car and the new buyer does not qualify then you are obligated. I cannot speak for other contractors. I know having built some homes in the past that there are people out there who will cheat you. Had I been able to install the system myself and most importantly felt confident in maintaining it I would also have done the install myself, as your cost would be dramatically cheaper. In my particular case our payback was approximately 4 1/2 years. Having an electric car really helped in the payoff, especially when gas was more expensive.

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:40 pm 

Leasing is out of the question.

Im either buying or just sticking to SCE.

I was hoping someone had experience with the HERO financing program in so cali. It sounds like they finance that panels through your property taxes over i think 20-25 years.

If i want an 8kwh system, what is approx cost, my research showed around 18k but thats not including all the tax and state benefits and not sure if it includes install.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:11 pm 

I realize that leasing is essentially paying a rental fee. However when you are dealing with technology that changes often, I think it is prudent assuming you can get a good rate to lease. Before you toss out leasing, I recommend you at least get an estimate. You can have SolarCity come out for free and review your energy bill for the previous 12 months and give you an estimate. When I ended up going with SolarCity, I did my homework. It was more expensive if I purchased the system then it was to go with a one time lease payment. That is assuming that you have the income to take advantage of the Federal and State rebates. The other issue is when you own the system you are responsible for its maintenance and repair. While I clean my panels I know that if the inverter goes bad that SolarCity will replace it labor and materials. They monitor my energy generation via WIFI and will contact me if something goes wrong. Even though the panels are generally warranted for 20 to 25 years the labor is not covered. So that is why I decided to go with a lease. Kind of like leasing the Toyota Rav4EV with free maintenance. Did you purchase your Rav4EV outright?????

Great Pyrenees Frankie
SolarCity Solar Panels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:17 pm 

Not sure what you mean by 8 kWh system.

My 3 kW (DC) system produces between 12 kWh (winter) and 18 kWh (summer) each day as long as the sun is shining.

I think you want to shoot for producing 50% to 75% of your annual usage for best return on investment.

Best to verify warranty and such with Solar City. My purchase has a 20 year warranty including roof, panels and inverter.
I am very happy with my purchase vs my neighbor with a lease.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:36 pm 

Sorry I meant 8kw.

I just figured 8 kw would produce enough power to cover majority of my house and car needs but if you are saying its better to shoot for 50-75, maybe I can look into 6kw system.

Question being, can we stay with SCE TOU-D, have a system that supplies my house wil solar power and then use sce 9 cent/kwh rate during super off peak?

I basically always charge my car from 12-5 am.

Rest of day we use an avg of 14kwh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 pm 

ghever wrote:
Leasing is out of the question.
Im either buying or just sticking to SCE.

Great. Buying is the way to go IMHO.
Quote:
I was hoping someone had experience with the HERO financing program in so cali. It sounds like they finance that panels through your property taxes over i think 20-25 years.
If i want an 8kwh system, what is approx cost, my research showed around 18k but thats not including all the tax and state benefits and not sure if it includes install.

I know where to get the big materials (panels/microinverters/gateway/rails) for about $1.5/watt.
On top of that the permits & the labor to install it and stands of the roof.
I think you could have it installed for about $15k imho.