Out of State service

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the saga continues. I got a voice-mail from Kevin saying he has all the right people involved and they are working it.
I spoke with the service adviser and got nowhere, he says they charged it outside so it could communicate its data. He also restated that he understood the fix to have been to the rear axle, though he could not explain how that was not covered by the warranty.
I gave up and am letting Kevin work it.
Just for reference the 6 month service is like $35, the diagnostic was quoted at $125, the parts were something like $25 and the labor was like $500. These are not exact because I left the receipt in the car.

What will be interesting, if the problem turns out to be a major drivetrain issue, and I already paid $600ish to get it fixed, is it now covered under the shop warranty?

You got soaked by a shady dealership. Paying for repair costs out of pocket(that were misdiagnosed), when the vehicle is under full warranty? Wow.

Ah but as they say, "It ain't over till the fat lady sings."
So as of this moment, my car has been in the shop for 2 weeks, I have paid the dealership to fix a "thumping vibration" and the diagnosis was "the left rear axle seal" and neither Kevin nor the dealer has called me back.
I paid on the repair under the logic that if it really was a "rear Axle" problem, Toyota would reimburse me under warranty. But I heavily suspect that the problem is not in the rear axle. As it sits, I paid to have the problem fixed and now it is under dealer warranty.
It must be an interesting problem since I have heard not a peep all week.

Ships log - Mar 3, 2015
Kevin called me back yesterday, the dealer never did.
Kevin assured me that they have now correctly diagnosed the problem, but did not have a report yet on that diagnosis. Nonetheless, he said they (Toyota corporate and the dealership) were working it closely and had ordered the required new parts. They did not yet have an estimated completion date.
He did add, and I confirmed, that the dealer had refunded my payment as the work was indeed covered under warranty.

Now with the news that the last new one is sold, this "policy" of not covering repairs under warranty for "out of staters" should subside.

No, I do not yet know what the diagnosis is because Kevin said he did not have those details yet.

I think we are in that "It takes a good sense of humor" period. Since I am going to Europe today, I called to tell the dealership that I would drip off their loaner car. I would need a ride home. They said no problem. So I drive the hour in traffic to get there.
Um, "we have no one to drive you home. Can you just keep the car?" Uh, ok. "Can you give me some info on my car, like when it might be done?" "Sure, it says here there is a parts hold."
"And can you tell me what parts or when it might be done?" "We are working on it, no problem. have a nice day." "and we can probably pick up the Loaner tomorrow."
Sure, why not!

Since I am out of country next week, we will see what happens after that.

I guess it is good news, bad news time. Monday, when I got back in town, Kirkland Toyota said my car would be done on Wed (today). Today Kevin called me back and explained that they are replacing my "Drive Unit". But the new (re-manufactured) drive unit has not shipped yet and they do not have an estimate as to when it will ship.
Why is this good news? Because they are doing it all under warranty.
I have to go get another loaner to drive in the meantime.
So the bottom line is that Tesla is still having a lot of trouble with the early drive units but Toyota is honoring its warranty even for us out-of-staters.

Great news !!!

With all the cars sold, there is ZERO impact for Toyota's CARB-ZEV numbers by providing out-of-state warranty.

Previously, I could see the Toyota internal argument of hassling out-of-state warranty and Toyota Care service as a way to discourage the action.

They even went as far in Oct 2013 to threaten dealers who were selling out-of-state.

But, that's all over. The CARB-ZEV credits have all been tabulated.

HONOR THE WARRANTY
HONOR TOYOTA CARE
STOP THE OUT-OF-STATE ABUSE

Interesting, so far I have been told they are fixing the "Drive Unit" but they don't have an estimated date. Both Kevin and the dealer are saying it is under warranty. The dealer had given me a loaner, but I turned it back in because I had a trip to Europe. On Wednesday after I got the update, I asked if I could get the loaner back. They said yes, but then later called to say I could only have the loaner through the weekend.
So at this point it appears that Toyota is working to honor its warranty but there must still be some rub on the loaner car.

We live in interesting times.
So far this week Kevin has not called me back. The dealership did but said they are waiting on "testing" that is "not yet scheduled".
I really like the Rav4 but my patience is beginning to feel the strain. I am now well into Lemon Law territory.

SeattleRav4 said:
We live in interesting times.
So far this week Kevin has not called me back. The dealership did but said they are waiting on "testing" that is "not yet scheduled".
I really like the Rav4 but my patience is beginning to feel the strain. I am now well into Lemon Law territory.

I feel your pain , but what is the alternative ?
If/when it works, it is just a great car.
True hate/love situation

Just got a call from Kevin. A Toyota engineer will be in Austin next Tues to fix the heater. It took 8 weeks to get the parts. I've also asked if he could replace the motor/controller and battery coolants as that is recommended at 40k miles. I'm currently at 46k.

He had no additional information regarding the recall notice.

Just got a call from Kevin. We are waiting on parts. No estimate on arrival. Basically we are waiting for Tesla to re-manufacture a unit to go into mine.

So now I am running out of both options and patience. I have called Kevin twice and he has not called me back. When I talked to him 2 weeks ago he said Toyota "could not authorize a loaner car".
The dealer says there is a Toyota national service rep scheduled to look at the car next week. 2 weeks ago Kevin said we were waiting for a new drive unit.
After almost 2 months, with a loaner for only a week, I am now making car payments on $50,000 car and have to go rent another one for an unknown period of time. I have 2 Toyotas at home and one in the shop.
Very soon I will be forced to find out how WA and CA lemon laws will apply to my case.
Just venting for now but figured it was time to update the other Out-of-Staters.

If anyone talks to Kevin, can you ask him to call me back?

I think you should escalate the case with Toyota. Ask for a manager/supervisor. Tell them you will be contacting the Attorney General if you don't have a satisfactory outcome within ____ days. Talk to the owner of the dealership. Whatever you can do to make them sit up and pay attention.

If you're up for it, Tony will be at my house on Saturday to install my alpha JdeMO. Don't have the time set yet, but you've got my contact info and you're more than welcome to watch the procedure and enjoy some camaraderie.

I was really hoping your latest post was going to be "Hurray, I got my car back and it's all fixed!"

To his credit, Kevin called me back this morning. He repeated that mine is next in line for a new driveline. He did not say it but I am inferring that the case from NY is being rebuilt to go in mine since he said they had just finished one last week. Also did not say it but it sounds like it takes about 2 weeks for the rebuild.
I am stuck with finding a way to work for the next 2 weeks and am not sure what to do but Kevin did offer to see if Toyota would help me for a short period.
Us out-of-staters don't get loaners.

Use Twitter. It's the fast lane to get results with almost any consumer problem. Make a few nasty Twitter comments to @toyotausa and see if that doesn't get results.

Back