Problems with Delivery from Canada

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on whether you purchased from the dealer's incoming cars, or you just placed an order for a car. The dealer should be able to tell you when your car is scheduled in. The body is made in Canada, then it is shipped to Freemont, CA where Tesla puts the drivetrain together and then it ships to the dealer. Two weeks doesn't seem like a lot of time from my point of view. The dealer who sold you the car would know whether it is coming in special (as an order) or whether it is part of their scheduled inventory. These cars have no factory options so you are not probably initiating a build specifically for you. When I have purchased new vehicles in the past that were not in stock the build sheet ends up with your name on it and the options you have specifically ordered. Kind of fun. But with the Rav4EV, you cannot even delete anything as far as I know. Hope that helps. What do others think?
Manny

DRManny, you're very wrong.
These cars are fully assembled in Canada, battery and all. They do not go to Fremont. When in transit from the plant, they travel from Ontario Canada thru the east and midwest to the Inland Empire here in CA. That's where the railyard trip ends for Toyotas. Then they get put on transport trucks and head to dealerships.

As far as this particular poster, what I have told him as well as 26 others waiting for the delayed cars (which also includes cars like Highlanders, gas Rav4's and a variety of other east coast cars with railcar delays) is:

Thanks for your patience in the wait and delay for the EVs coming from Canada.
Unfortunately, we have no way of providing an ETA on these units until they are loaded onto the railcars.
That is when the ETA is updated in the entire Toyota inventory communications system.
As we've discussed previously, with bad weather and shortages of railcars, delays in shipping all Rav4's continue.
They are doing everything possible, including trucking, to push these late units to different railheads to get them moving.
Once they start moving, they do move fast. If you haven't heard from me about your car being in transit from the plant, it's just because it isn't yet. <small edit for brevity's sake>

On side note, I have your HOV stickers for the EV already so you'll leave here with immediate carpool lane access when your car does arrive!

-----------------------------------------------------------

At times, I have clients who I wish would just chill when delays happen. And, especially when they were WARNED of the delay. It's inevitable. I cannot control mother nature and certainly cannot expect miracles when they are trying to get over 3,800 cars from the east coast to the west coast as fast as they can. My little group of 26 EVs and about 20 other units left wanting for travel seem a small slice of the larger problem. I know they are starting to find rides for some. I just had 1 hit CA on rail, and 1 in transit to TX already so things are moving. Just slowly.

Diane, thanks for the update on the manufacturing process. I assumed that Tesla did the work at their facility. So this is news for me. So then Toyota controls the whole process of manufacturing the car. As for cars being delayed I did not even know about a weather issue until you mentioned it. I guess the guy is just upset about not getting his car and hoped the forum would have additional information. Sorry if I added to the confusion.
Thanks,
Manny

It's OK - but you can see how confusing the wrong information can be to someone wanting assurance. Was just trying to clear up the misconception that the car wasn't done when it leaves Canada. It is. And, this railcar problem is very real and very present.

drmanny3 said:
Diane, thanks for the update on the manufacturing process. I assumed that Tesla did the work at their facility. So this is news for me. So then Toyota controls the whole process of manufacturing the car. As for cars being delayed I did not even know about a weather issue until you mentioned it. I guess the guy is just upset about not getting his car and hoped the forum would have additional information. Sorry if I added to the confusion.
Thanks,
Manny

I know that this is no one's fault, but it would be nice if Toyota could just give some sort of update on this whole issue. Bad things happen all the time, some of them are within the company's control and some are not. It's how you react to the bad things that differentiates great companies.

Even if Toyota came out and said, "We know this is frustrating. We are sorry and here is what we are doing to fix the problem."
But here is my perception of what Toyota is saying from a customer's perspective, "It's not our fault and we really don't care that you are waiting for your vehicle. Can't you see we have bigger problems than your 1 car? Stop being a whiny bitch!" I know Toyota has not said anything at all about the situation, but that is what the silence sounds like.

I am not blaming you Dianne or anyone at your dealership, I know that this is frustrating for you too. I was hoping that Toyota Corp. would take a more proactive stance.

Maaz said:
they are stuck in canada because of bad weather.

The one thing I don't understand is, the delay is almost a month now. The bad weather was only for like a couple of weeks. Just curious how that translates. I am not complaining, just saying that it's weird how that works and wish I knew how it did translate.

andy966 said:
Maaz said:

The one thing I don't understand is, the delay is almost a month now. The bad weather was only for like a couple of weeks. Just curious how that translates. I am not complaining, just saying that it's weird how that works and wish I knew how it did translate.
yeah i wish there was more information also, but Dianne just posted this on the Rav4ev fb page

"Yay! Railcars are starting to pick up EVs in Canada. Have 6 more today heading out to the west coast. Hope more tomorrow...."

I believe Dianne is the best update available.

Maaz said:
andy966 said:
Maaz said:

yeah i wish there was more information also, but Dianne just posted this on the Rav4ev fb page

"Yay! Railcars are starting to pick up EVs in Canada. Have 6 more today heading out to the west coast. Hope more tomorrow...."

I believe Dianne is the best update available.

Maaz, I believe you are correct. That is the best update we have and for me, it is actually good news. I am just waiting to hear that MY car got on a train. and then I am guessing it's about 10-14 days from there.

Will the batteries lives of Rav4 EVs that have been built for a while, just sitting around and stuck in Canada waiting for a ride to sunny California be negatively impacted by the wait?

amgdad said:
Will the batteries lives of Rav4 EVs that have been built for a while, just sitting around and stuck in Canada waiting for a ride to sunny California be negatively impacted by the wait?

Are you leasing?

amgdad said:

Unless they are sitting there in really hot temps, I doubt it. From what I hear, its still cold out there.

Yup it's cold up there, my in-laws live about 10 miles away from the plant and they just got a few inches of snow this week.

Has anyone received their vehicle? Just wondering. Wish there was some sort of update from Toyota saying something.

Its possible these rail shipments are delayed by a general shortage of rail capacity in Canada.

This winter was really bad up there and it got the railroads (CNI, etc.) behind on shipments, and the Canadian government recently acted to force its railroads to prioritize grain shipments linkhere

I think the backlog was pretty big so it probably is reducing shipments elsewhere. There was a lot of discussion of this on the CNI conference call yesterday.

Back