Leviton 40 amp vs Siemen 30 amp

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amgdad

Hopefully, I will be getting my car next week. I am getting ready to buy either the Leviton 40 amp kit EVSE ($900 on sale with installation kit) or Siemen 30 amp EVSE ($700) any recommendation?

amgdad said:
Hopefully, I will be getting my car next week. I am getting ready to buy either the Leviton 40 amp kit EVSE ($900 on sale with installation kit) or Siemen 30 amp EVSE ($700) any recommendation?

Leviton is the Toyota approved one (which means they make money selling it).

There are lots and lots of other EVSE's in the $700 - $900 range if you aren't concerned whether they are 30 or 40 amps. The only one known to physically damage the car is the Blink units.

When I called Leviton, they gave me a better price then Toyota's price if I buy direct (20% off their list-$900 for charger and kit). My concern was the 40 amp needed to ensure that the car is charged, when I go to work. I will be computing 75 miles round trip.

If you are pulling a new circuit you may as well pull 50a and use the Leviton 40 amp evse.
30a is plenty to charge the RAV overnight.

Yeah, overnight charging can be done very successfully on either one. I personally have a 30a EVSE, (because that was what was available when I had it put in) and I find that charging speed quite adequate. The difference in output will only really be felt when opportunity charging during the day. I'd get the 40a unless you're really counting your pennies, or there turns out to be a much bigger than expected difference in the price of the install.

Agree with Siemens, charger built into the face, and charges at a great clip. Cheaper. I agree with Dave below.

davewill said:
Yeah, overnight charging can be done very successfully on either one. I personally have a 30a EVSE, (because that was what was available when I had it put in) and I find that charging speed quite adequate. The difference in output will only really be felt when opportunity charging during the day. I'd get the 40a unless you're really counting your pennies, or there turns out to be a much bigger than expected difference in the price of the install.

I had a 50 amp outlet installed, so that I could use either Leviton or Siemens. I am trying to decide if the extra power is worth the $200 or the delay start feature in Siemens is more important.

I find the RAV timer works fine. I have not used the delay timer on my 30a Schneider at all.
I set the departure time at 7a and the vehicle generally starts charging after midnight and is complete by 6a which is my window for low electric rates.

Only if the battery is very low (<30%) I have needed to override the departure time. When you plug in, the vehicle will display an accurate start time. Then adjust only if needed.

With the 50A circuit and if you are in the $800-1000 range, the Jesla EVSE is good for 40A and is portable. They are available as a completed kit from Tony's QuickCharge Power site or the OpenEVSE site. The 30A OpenEVSE kit is well priced if you are willing to invest some build/assembly time.

Edit: for the delay start time, I've been using fooljoe's RavCharge so long I don't even think about charge schedules.

I have the Leviton 40A and a portable 30A/240V charger (that i carry in the "trunk" of the Rav4 all the time).

I really like the speed of the 40A charger when i'm up at my house in the mountains (where it is). It means i can charge the car completely in only about 5 hours and for any daily use up there (to town and back) the car is charged back up in an hour or so when i get home. It makes it just like using a gas car, except you never have to go to a gas station :)

The other thing i notice is i never use extended charge when i'm around a 40A charger, becuase if i want to go somewhere i need one, i can go from "standard" to "extended" in about an hour and a half. So i dont really have to think ahead. (and the only reason its an hour and a half is the last bit of charge is very slow compared to most of it).

n3ckf said:
... The other thing i notice is i never use extended charge when i'm around a 40A charger, becuase if i want to go somewhere i need one, i can go from "standard" to "extended" in about an hour and a half. So i dont really have to think ahead. (and the only reason its an hour and a half is the last bit of charge is very slow compared to most of it).
That's the same time it takes with a 30a EVSE (and maybe even a 16a). By the time it gets up to standard charge, the limiting factor is the battery, not the EVSE.

The Blink HQ units, available since 6 months, have ITT/Cannon connector and no longer cause damage.
They are at 30 amp and cost $700.

I recommend you buy the Leviton 40 amp unit. The reason I say this is it looks good on the wall and has a connector to holster the J1772 when not in use. They are really good about customer service as well. It also appears to be very well made. Having said this I also have Tony's JLESA which I use everyday on the RAV4EV while the Leaf is closest to the Leviton. The JLESA is convenient in that it is much more portable than the Leviton without a doubt. So if we travel where I think we will have a need to charge by connecting to a 240 volt system then I am covered. The JLESA is certainly a stand alone unit. I prefer having a permanent setup with the ability to easily take one with me. I don't think you will go wrong by getting the 40 amp over the 30 amp. The RAV4EV charges up very quickly. I was down to about 25 miles after driving 120 and it took what appeared to be a little over 3 hours. I like the idea if I need to top off during the day that it will occur quickly. In the end the price as long as it is relatively close will not be a big determinant. It should be what works for you and gives you the best performance.
Manny

Everyone thanks for the info. I think that I will buy the Leviton so that I can have that extra power when needed. Now hopefully, I will get the car next week.

Back