Toyota's What To Expect when buying a 2012 Rav4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rav4ev

If you're a California resident interested in a RAV4 EV, here's how to get yours:

1. Complete the Compatibility Quiz to see if RAV4 EV is right for you.

2. If RAV4 EV is right for you, find a dealer in your area to contact.

3. Visit your Authorized Toyota RAV4 EV Dealer to check stock and learn more about RAV4 EV ownership.

4. Once you've completed your trip to the dealership, visit Leviton [5] to schedule your charging unit installation.

5. Visit the dealership to finalize your purchase and take delivery of your new RAV4 EV.

rav4ev said:
If you're a California resident interested in a RAV4 EV, here's how to get yours:

1. Complete the Compatibility Quiz to see if RAV4 EV is right for you.

2. If RAV4 EV is right for you, find a dealer in your area to contact.

3. Visit your Authorized Toyota RAV4 EV Dealer to check stock and learn more about RAV4 EV ownership.

4. Once you've completed your trip to the dealership, visit Leviton [5] to schedule your charging unit installation.

5. Visit the dealership to finalize your purchase and take delivery of your new RAV4 EV.

I've done step 1, and step 2, spoken with the dealer who says they do not have stock right now, but I have not sat down with specifics with him. I already have an EVSE at home. I currently drive a Leaf and a home conversion, and I have both a 16amp rated EVSE and a 50amp rated EVSE, which the latter should be more than enough for the Rav4. Looking forward to step 5.

Still curious as to why there are not more details about the lease available. I'm also contemplating just a purchase, but it depends on the lease terms.

It's actually a bit more complicated . . . not too mention to do it right, plan on MANY hours at the dealership.

I was my local Toyota dealer's very 1st RAV4 EV purchaser. It was a learning curve for all concerned. However, I did my homework and knew a lot more than they did about this newly introduced EV, e.g. I was told by two different sales people that the RAV4 EV's battery warranty is "10 year / 150,000 miles". I immediately questioned the accuracy of that imformation . . . of course, it is actually 8 years / 100,000 miles.

Also, I was also told the RAV EV has emergency runflat tires . . . NOT! How do I know that aside, from the fact there is nothing in any of Toyota's literature to substantiate that claim? For one thing, there is a fix-a-flat kit in the right rear storage compartment.

My saleman, also disputed my understanding that the RAV4 EV is a 2012 model; at least the one that I got. It says so right on the window sticker "2012"!

The car is phenomenal, but perhaps TOYOTA's new RAV4 EV sales training leaves a bit to be desired. :mrgreen:

I bought the first one at Mossy Toyota in San Diego. Very much a learning experience for them.

I didn't do any of the steps listed above. I rented a silver one for two days to be sure I liked it ($60/day), and bought the blizzard white one.

The dealer didn't know anything about $7500 fed tax credit, and it turns out that Toyota keeps that for themselves in a lease (unlike Nissan, which passes it on, dollar for dollar).

So, I purchased to get the whole $7500 fed credit, and the $2500 state rebate (lease or purchase, you qualify).

My car doesn't charge with an SPX or Nissan / Panasonic EVSE. The EVSE that comes with the car is also made by Panasonic (and used in the Plug In Prius), and because of its "cheaper build", only capable of modification to 240v / 12 amp.

www.EVSEupgrade.com has already modified mine.

Now, for all the mods.

CONGRATS!!!! The RAV4 EV is one helleva car, isn't it!!!

Unfortunately, my SPX Power Express ($1000) is incompatible with the RAV4 EV, and at this time it appears all the parties involves that could possibly do anything are either not listening to "voice of the customer" or just don't care. Not only that, but I believe there is way too much finger pointing going on between the various OEMs. "It's Toyota's fault." "No, it's Tesla's fault." "No, it's the EVSE mfg's fault." "No, it's the customer's fault."

How about somebody just FIX the problem and stop arguing who's fault it is!

Who knows when this problem will be addressed, so I just popped for another EVSE L2 charging station made by Leviton and became yet another thousand dollars poorer. :x

Dsinned said:
CONGRATS!!!! The RAV4 EV is one helleva car, isn't it!!!

Who knows when this problem will be addressed, so I just popped for another EVSE L2 charging station made by Leviton and became yet another thousand dollars poorer. :x

Yes, it is a neat car. I owned two LEAFs prior to this, with 36,000 miles total in 18 months. Did you get the 40 amp Leviton that they sell for $1599, plus some ambiguous "other" charges.

I have a 30 amp Blink, so I've been using that successfully. We're having a workshop to build some 30, 40, and 75 amp EVSE's on Dec 1. Looks like about $600 in parts for the 75 version that I can use with Tesla Model S/X "twin chargers".

I just got a Leviton 240V "32A" (7.7kWh) charger that the manufacturer "guarantees" to work on any car with the SAE J1772 standard charge port. I will soon find out if that is true. It costs $1099 + tax from Home Depot (online) with free shipping. There are two versions; the one like mine with a 25' cord and another with a 18' cord. Otherwise they are identical. I only have one spare 240V 40A breaker in my utility power panel, so I went with a 7.7kWh (240V - 32A) solution, which will fully (normal mode) recharge my RAV4 EV in ~7.5 hours or less. My utility company's lowest cost, off-peak electric rates are from midnight to 7am, 7 days a week, so I think this should do quite nicely. Plus, hopefully it will recharge my Chevy Volt (at 3.3kWh) as well, in less than 4 hrs, thus rendering my SPX Power Express about as useful as a very large paper weight.

Back