New to the EV world

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbinma

Going to test drive the Rav 4 ev today in San Diego and have some of the standard apprehensions. Please reply with things you learned about being an EV owner and some questions I should ask. Also would like some experiences.

Thank you

Scott

[email protected]

The only drawback is the lack of standard quick charging, so driving long distances is pretty much out unless you have Tony Williams retrofit it with Chademo. I think the car will sell itself when you take a test drive. We have 20k miles and would buy another if it had QC. The rav4 really has no peer on the market right now.

If you go in knowing that you won't have quick charge, its not that big a deal.

Some things I'd recommend you consider - where are you going to put the charger, and how difficult will it be to access? And how much will it cost to wire in! Thats a simple "call in the electrician" thing, but depending on your panel location and your parking situation, it can add a hassle - and maybe a little expense. And get a Jesla extension cord from Tony! Real lifesaver -

Be aware that electric cars do not generate heat. So during the winter, you will use more battery to keep the cabin warm, which will decrease range on very cold days. Similar problem with A/C, but you may be able to just roll down the window -

There are numerous quirks to the Rav4 - but thats nothing to do with the EV. I swear I had better options and an easier time loading my old Rav4 with tools and lumber than I do this new one, but this new one has much more passenger room and comfort.

And if you do get one - get them to include the darn floormats!

I have been driving a RAV4EV for work since August 2013 and I leased my personal RAV4EV in November 2013.

When you go for a test drive, before you ever move the shifter out of Park, hit the sport mode button and watch the dash turn from blue to red. The first time you try a pedal to the metal acceleration, you will be hooked. You will sign up for the car. You will be addicted to the performance.

Every day, I say to myself, "this is the best vehicle I have ever owned." It is so exhilarating and completely guilt free performance for the good of the planet. I charge mine with solar.

A few tips Diane Whitmire taught me: don't put any money down on the lease (higher monthly payment amount, less risk), get the unlimited mileage lease option for $30/month if you plan to buy at the end of the lease (residual value is $1,000 cheaper meaning the cost for unlimited mileage lease is $80 for the entire 3 year lease), leasing is about $10,000 cheaper than purchasing outright if you purchase at the end of the lease.

Although, the EPA rating is 103 miles on a charge, I regularly get 130 miles on my work RAV4EV.

A truly dream machine!

Best of luck to you.

Home solar goes great with EV electric rates.
40 amp charging is plenty fast for everything but an extended road trip.
EV drives better than anything you have previously driven.

Back