Alright, Im ready to buy or take over lease your Rav4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

I would buy a new one if I could but I live in Ithaca NY. I currently drive a PIP which I could give you in addition to cash or I can just buy yours outright.

Color doesnt matter but vehicle history and price of course do. Because I would be shipping the car to NY, the Rav must have all of the kinks worked out and firmware updates completed. I dont want to deal with those issues later when I am 2500 miles away!

I would consider buying out your lease or a purchase.

Let me know what you have and how much you want.

Or, if any of you guys happen to see a good deal on one somewhere please let me know.

Thanks!

I would need close to 40k to let mine go and that assumes I could secure a new one.
Used market is probably better price but they go quick from what I hear.

smkettner said:
I would need close to 40k to let mine go and that assumes I could secure a new one.
Used market is probably better price but they go quick from what I hear.

I understand you want as much as possible for your car but 2012's with less than 10 k miles are accessible for around $31,000.
Thank you for your post but I'll keep looking.

Shame that you don't have a CA relative to lease a new 2014 for you initially.

Problem with someone in CA parting with their car early is that the $2500 state incentive has to be pro-rated and returned to the state. If someone from CA took the state's $2500, and they sell the car off to YOU a year later they have to pay the state back 2/3rds of that. Anyone who sells you their car for, let's say, $35,000 when it's a year old is going to have to return $1600 of that to the state.

Living in CA, and leasing new from me would mean you drive off only owning about $36K on a brand new one. BUT - if you have no way to pull that off, my dear, you're at the mercy of what a used EV market is, and what it's becoming. What we all as CA residents net out at has NOTHING to do with what it's gonna cost you to buy someone's 2012, or 2013. It's hard to use that "yardstick" as a serious gauge... but it's a start.

Di

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping I can find someone who is willing to let me take over their lease. I am out of state and I cannot buy a new one or I definitely would.

There are still new ones out there so if you let me take over your lease and you live in CA you can get a brand new one. It will be simple, Ill take over your payments and you can get a brand new one. I will help cover fees and make sure you are taken care of, within reason of course.

I am looking for a low mileage Rav and I dont really have a preference on color. If you are willing to help me out please let me know. I had a deal worked out, or so I thought, but the person just pulled out. Toyota approved the lease transfer but the seller decided she didnt want to sell anymore.

Are you willing to take a 2012 from someone who purchased, not leased? Would you be able to arrange financing for a straight purchase from an individual?

Yes that's an option. I'd prefer a 2013 or 2014 with low mileage but I'll consider anything. Yes getting a loan wouldn't be a problem but taking over a lease would be very easy I'd prefer to go that route.
I also prefer a newer one to (hopefully) avoid firmware, ac, and heater issues of the earlier vins.

What do you have?

I'm not really offering mine up, I just thought it would be a cleaner deal if you could accept one that had been driven 16-20 months.

Mine has 13,500 miles and one noticeable door ding. Realistically, I would probably want as much as dealers are listing them for - ~$32k considering my current payoff and something for my trouble.

Didn't someone post a used one at the dealer for 32999? You might want to try that with the help of a forum member who can help you check the car out. If you want to assume a lease to keep the payments low, prepare to wait or pay someone 1-3K to do it.

How do you feel about leaving it registered in CA? If so find a CA address, lease one your self, claim the $2500 in carb and just pay the reg for two years, then buy it out at the end and then register it in NY. Just a thought.

sbportech said:
How do you feel about leaving it registered in CA? If so find a CA address, lease one your self, claim the $2500 in carb and just pay the reg for two years, then buy it out at the end and then register it in NY. Just a thought.

Could I use a family friends address in California and purchase it in my name? I have a ny license. I would definitely do that if I could. I'd love a new one.

If you have an address I would look into getting a CA driver's license. I wonder if you would need to give up the NY license or not.
Or have the family/friend acquire the RAV and assign it to you.

I want to see if I can use a family friends address in CA, get CA insurance, and lease a new one. Id then ship it to NY. I know when someone moves to NY your supposed to get NY plates but I think I can get away with it for a while so I dont have have to pay back the $2500 CARB check.

I dont yet know if that will work though.
Can I get CA insurance with a NY license?
Can I lease a new car with a NY license?

The family I have in CA I am not very close with. Asking them to buy a car for me would be a stretch.

Students are generally an exception to the requirement for local licensing. A student can keep their vehicle licensed in their home state. Perhaps there's a single-unit class you're interested in at a local community college (this would get you a valid student ID if you are ever questioned). If you pay for a gym membership, enroll in a kinesiology/PE class and save money on gym fees as well.

When I was a student in Florida, I had California plates and a California driver's license and never had an issue, and I was a regular user of the SunPass e-toll system as well.

As to requiring a California license to buy and insure a California car, I know this is not the case. My grandfather has bought several cars in California and kept them registered and insured (through Farmer's) in California for months at a time despite having a British Columbia driver's license. He has never held a U.S. driver's license in his life. This may be different with a lease.

The only thing I will say is that I would find it ethically difficult to justify accepting the California $2500 CVRP rebate since that rebate is there to improve the air quality of our state. Personally, I wouldn't apply for it - but that's my opinion.

And for what it's worth, I'd let you take over my lease if I could get another one - but since I'm a full time student right now I'd have a hard time qualifying without recent pay stubs, plus I need to have had the car for at least a year to import to Canada as settler's effects.

I had a ct license when I bought my car. They don't care, they just want your money. I told you you can do this before. You might want to switch plates in New York because that's a money hungry state too

I can sell you my 2013 for a little over 33k so I can order my tesla

Regarding the CVRP rebate, keep in mind that you must both buy or lease a new vehicle and retain the vehicle for three years (registered in CA) in order to retain the rebate. From http://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/faq:
- Be an individual, business, nonprofit or government entity that is based in California or has a California based-affiliate.
- Be a purchaser or lessee of a new Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) or Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV).
- Retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months* immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.
- Register the new vehicle with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for a minimum of 36 consecutive months* for use in California. Any government owned vehicle not registered with the California DMV is still required to operate within California for 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.

*Note: ARB will be periodically checking vehicle identification numbers with vehicle registrations to ensure that CVRP applicants meet this requirement. If an applicant breaks this requirement, ARB or its designee reserves the right to recoup CVRP funds from the original vehicle purchaser identified on the rebate form and may pursue other remedies available under the law. Resale of a vehicle or return to a dealer may be allowed on a case-by-case basis with prior approval by the ARB for unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances.
So that's a problem both for the person who originally leased the vehicle (and presumably got the rebate) and for someone wanting to take over someone's lease. You can't claim the CVRP rebate (and rightfully not – the funds are to encourage low emission vehicle adoption in California).

Toyota will run your credit when you apply for the lease. If they don't find any California addresses attached to other entries in your credit files, they will probably turn you down. If you want to get the CVRP rebate you must keep the car registered in CA for the full 3 years. My first renewal was $377 because it includes $287 for California's Vehicle License Fee which is a form of personal property tax. This is based on the State's estimate of the value of the car.

Incredulocious said:
Regarding the CVRP rebate, keep in mind that you must both buy or lease a new vehicle and retain the vehicle for three years in order to retain the rebate. From http://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/faq:
- Be an individual, business, nonprofit or government entity that is based in California or has a California based-affiliate.
- Be a purchaser or lessee of a new Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) or Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV).
- Retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months* immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.
- Register the new vehicle with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for a minimum of 36 consecutive months* for use in California. Any government owned vehicle not registered with the California DMV is still required to operate within California for 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.

*Note: ARB will be periodically checking vehicle identification numbers with vehicle registrations to ensure that CVRP applicants meet this requirement. If an applicant breaks this requirement, ARB or its designee reserves the right to recoup CVRP funds from the original vehicle purchaser identified on the rebate form and may pursue other remedies available under the law. Resale of a vehicle or return to a dealer may be allowed on a case-by-case basis with prior approval by the ARB for unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances.
So that's a problem both for the person who originally leased the vehicle (and presumably got the rebate) and for someone wanting to take over someone's lease. You can't claim the CVRP rebate (and rightfully not – the funds are to encourage low emission vehicle adoption in California).
If I was to sell my car to someone out of state within the first 3 years and immediately buy or lease another, I would apply for another rebate and tell the program administrator to adjust my amount based on the pro-rated return of the original rebate.

Without the CA rebate it costs about $36,357 to acquire the car. $49,488+$3,959(tax)+$410(license)-$17,500.
I can't imagine someone trading for less unless they wanted out or the vehicle was at least a year and 18,000 miles used.
And it is a PITN.

Back