What do you think about this deal?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Edited:

There are 2 deals I am currently trying to decide between.

The first is a 2012 with 7k miles for $31,500 out the door. The dealer says it was a loaner car and its in excellent condition. I've been haggling and got them to reduce the price. It hasnt had anything replaced on it, its all original. Here is a link to their website.
http://www.toyotasimivalley.com/certified/Toyota/2012-Toyota-RAV4+EV-serving-los-angeles-LA-215d5f4f0a0a0002163838eeffe4cb0b.htm

The second is a 2012 with around 40k for $29,000. It is an individual selling it but he is a well respected member of the Rav EV community. A Jesla evse is also included in the deal. The car has already received a new motor, dc to dc gateway, and heater. So hopefully all of the kinks have been worked out.

The first one has a low SN and thats one thing that worries me. Its #1019. I would be shipping this out of state to Ithaca NY. So if it turns out to be one of those that needs a new heater, DC to DC controller, or electric motor I would be pretty F'ed. Im not sure about the vin on the second.

For those of you with more Rav EV experience, should I worry that the first one has a low vin or that it has such low mileage? Its only a $2500 difference so Im really on the fence. I like that the second one (hopefully) has had all its quirks worked out but Im selling a 2012 PIP with 40k and I was hoping to get something younger.

Late last night I was contacted by third person who is thinking about selling their Rav. It sounds like the price and mileage could be somewhere in the middle of these two. The person was going to think about it and get back to me, so there may be a third option.

This is hard!

That price is pretty high. I paid $36.3k after tax, title, license, Toyota Subvention Cash and federal tax credit. I also got the $2,500 state rebate, but that doesn't apply here. The only way it's worth the asking price to me is if they throw in an 8 year/125,000 mile Platinum VSA extended warranty. The car should really be below $30k without the extended warranty. However, I just checked the Kelly Blue Book site and they say Dealer selling price should be $33,819 with an additional $2,000 for CPO. Maybe not so bad after all, if you value what KBB has to say.

Its a Toyota certified used car so it will come with a 7 year 100,000 comprehensive warranty. If they will honor any of that in NY is another story.

for that price, i will buy out mine and get a new one and you can have mine :)

Seriously though, I hope you have another reliable transportation ready in case something fails

cossie1600 said:
for that price, i will buy out mine and get a new one and you can have mine :)

Seriously though, I hope you have another reliable transportation ready in case something fails

I wont have a backup vehicle myself. I am selling the PIP to buy a Rav EV. My fiance has an old Corolla but thats the car she drives. We take a lot of weekend trips and we usually take the PIP. If I buy a Rav EV we will have to take her car.

There arent very many options out there right now. I am going to of course work on them and try to get it for less but $33k sounds reasonable based on what Ive seen over the past few days. Should I wait? Do you think there will be better deals? I think now that production is wrapping up people are going to rush to scoop up the last few out there.

How concerned should I be that it is an early vin? If they did indeed start at vin #1000 that would mean this car was number 19 ever made.

jimbo69ny said:
There arent very many options out there right now. I am going to of course work on them and try to get it for less but $33k sounds reasonable based on what Ive seen over the past few days. Should I wait? Do you think there will be better deals? I think now that production is wrapping up people are going to rush to scoop up the last few out there.

How concerned should I be that it is an early vin? If they did indeed start at vin #1000 that would mean this car was number 19 ever made.

I think that they only need to produce 400 more, so probably done by 31 December 2014. There is no direct competition to this vehicle, and no replacement on the horizon.

Like the first generation Rav4 EV, I predict the price will go way up on these once the lease returns start coming in. In other words, you aren't going to get one for the lease return price...
not even close.

If you option out the B-Class like the Rav4EV it will almost be the same MSRP. Only issue is you get less cargo room and a smaller battery for a cushier ride more efficient ride. Also, they are offering only $7500 off on a lease with exorbitant lease rates.

i cant se that I really know anything about it. But based on the manufacture I assume it's going to be pretty expensive. I don't want to spend $100,000 on a car that I will be using for work. I own rental properties and I'm always hauling stuff around in the back of my plug in Prius the Rav will be the same way.

I just looked at it. Price is good but I saw a figure of 80 miles max. That wont cut it for me. I need to be able to drive 119 miles to go home and see family occasionally. They live just over 2 hours from me. Rav 4 seems like the way to go.

I'm wondering though, for a car that was built with such limited quantities, I wonder why there are so many for sale. Do you think people give it a try then find out it doesnt work for them? It seems strange.

jimbo69ny said:
I just looked at it. Price is good but I saw a figure of 80 miles max. That wont cut it for me. I need to be able to drive 119 miles to go home and see family occasionally. They live just over 2 hours from me. Rav 4 seems like the way to go.

I'm wondering though, for a car that was built with such limited quantities, I wonder why there are so many for sale. Do you think people give it a try then find out it doesnt work for them? It seems strange.

Even with the Rav4 EV, yes, it will make it in the summer, but winter time pushing snow with the heater blowing might be really close.

Hopefully you will preheat the cabin while plugged in; actually that might not be an option, it's really required. Also, please provide us with your departure and destination city so that we can look on PlugShare and see if there a J1772 plug or a NEMA 14-50 RV park outlet enroute for a wee boost of juice if needed.

I'd be going from
882 West Dryden Rd
Freeville NY 13068
To
1363 Brookedge Dr
Hamlin NY 14464

I have a charger but I'll have to build another openevse for my mom's house. Actually, installing a 50 amp 14-50 and using a Jesla would probably be a better option.

I found a Rav! Deal is done and I am waiting for Toyota approval. I am taking over the lease from a forum member. Toyota says the process could take 30-60 days. Im hoping it happens much which quicker. There is an EV meet near me in 4 weeks and I hope to go there in the Rav instead of the PIP.

Back