Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: First RAV4 EV Outside of California
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 am 
Vendor

There are actually ways to not pay sales taxes on planes and boats in California (and eventually use that conveyance in California).

My question resulted from whether dealers were specifically restricted from not making the sale in California, i.e., you would pay the taxes here, and Toyota would tally it as a California sale (their singular purpose for offering this car).

Apparently not for you.

JdeMOtm, the CHAdeMO outlet for your electric car

www.QuickChargePower.com

Paid Sponsor to the MyRavEV forum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 am 

I half didn't expect the deal to go through. The dealership was frustrated that the was no sales interest in the car.

100 miles range in LA might not be enough with the sprawl of that city.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:11 am 
Site Moderator

reeler wrote:
I half didn't expect the deal to go through. The dealership was frustrated that the was no sales interest in the car.

100 miles range in LA might not be enough with the sprawl of that city.

For whatever reason(s) they are not selling very well anywhere else in CA either.

This is very unfortunate; almost unbelieveably sad really. Such a great, fun to drive, premium EV, that goes like a bat out of Hell, yet seemingly stagnant sales so soon after initial market introduction, already being sold at deeply discounted prices.

The RAV4 EV is infused with advanced high technology, boosting a Tesla pedigree and largely supportive of American factory autoworkers. It offers much better than its very conservatively "advertised" electric range.

If you need a lot of cargo space, something more practical as a family car and also like the idea of saving thousands on gas while driving an EV, there is nothing else like it currently available. Yet, to see the new RAV4 EV almost dying from lack of interest, must be like a slap in the face to Toyota (and even Tesla) regardless of what purpose suposedly it serves on the giant carmakers hidden agenda.

Nevertheless, I'm sure glad I got one early on, even if it turns out I am only one of a few people who owns and drives the new RAV4 EV in the most populous State. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Dsinned on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:33 pm 

This may be crazy but I am attempting to buy one from Seattle. There are lots of issues but can I ask what shipper the OP used? I am having trouble pinning down a reliable one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:56 am 

SeattleRav4 wrote:
There are lots of issues but can I ask what shipper the OP used? I am having trouble pinning down a reliable one.

I used Montway.com. It was $580 from LA to Denver. They brokered it out to someone who was in Denver.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:59 pm 

Thanks for the info on the shipper.

IF my deal goes through I will check with them. I say if because while we have settled on price and terms and I have filled out the paperwork, I still don't have a signed deal after 3 days.

If it works out, we can start a "non California" RAV4 EV club. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:32 pm 

Just an FYI, I've used DAS shipping for several cars, and in general I've had good results. About 5 shipments and 4 of 5 were good, and one was "subbed" to a less desirable shipper. You can choose your rate depending on how you want it shipped. Completely enclosed down to just an open trailer. It is also cheaper if you take it to a terminal as opposed to door to door. The terminal method almost cuts the cost in half. Of course you can only have it delivered to a terminal at your end, and the California end has to be loaded at the dealership to avoid California taxes.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

'05 Prius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:24 am 

Thanks for the recommendation.

To the OP, what is your plan for dealing with maintenance outside CA? I am about to sign the deal and haven't really thought this part through. I was hoping the local Tesla Service center could be used but a look on the web, it doesn't look like they are very interested.
There should not be much but what about recalls or infant mortality type repairs?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 am 

@SeattleRav4 - I'm in the same predicament down here in Vancouver, WA. National Toyota told me (per e-mail) that they're OK with non-CA residents purchasing a Rav EV if 1) I find a CA dealership willing to sell to me, and 2) I find a local dealership to service it.

Vancouver Toyota has agreed to service it, saying they have 3 trained techs capable of servicing the Rav4 EV. I've found a CA dealership willing to sell to me, but want me to provide my own shipping to WA. (Thank you to Reeler for your shipper suggestion). So I'm hopeful to have this worked out in the coming days. I need to wait until Jan. 1 however, since I currently own a Volt, and have already used this year's federal rebate.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 pm 

That is good to hear. I got the same story from the local Toyota dealership. I was concerned since some of the online literature from Toyota says that only select dealers can do the warranty work.

I should be setting up a shipper today for tomorrow.

If you have not already cut a deal with a dealer, I will just say that Folsom Lake Toyota has been pretty aggressive on the price and very willing to work out which one I wanted. They were not well versed in the RAV4 EV when I first called them but I am signing the paperwork today.

If you hurry you may be able to get on the same truck. :) Come to think of it, if we had a couple of more WA buyers, we could all get a deal on the same truck. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next