Anyone suggest an alternative?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadol

First - I love my RavEV - the only issues I have is running from Berkeley down to Santa Cruz and back the same day - need to spend some hours charging in SC, so I can't run around as much as I'd like. Thats about the only time I wish it had a faster charge rate -

But now my wife wants one. Actually, she wants a Tesla, which would solve the range issue for my trips to SC, but the price is putting that off the table. But she likes the EV, and the white sticker for her commute to San Jose, so I'm looking around again. It still seems there is no other EV that come even close in range, comfort, and price.

But before we talk to Dianne about a second one, anyone have any thoughts? Or anyone else have a 2 RavEV family?

There are several families with two RAV4 EVs and Tony just picked up a third. Last I heard he was looking to sell the oldest one though.
There is really nothing of comparable range for the price. Model S is fully double the cost of a RAV for a 60 with SuperCharging, after all taxes and incentives.

Without being an expert or committing EV blasphemy, the real only alternative is plugin hybrid of some form.
The RAV4 EV has the best pure EV range next to the Tesla. And the only SUV/CUV.

It also depends on your balance of EV purist vs practicality. For me I don't ever want to go to a gas station again (except to pee), and I don't want to deal with any ICE maintenance, so the RAV4 works for 95% of our needs. Of course we have a CRV oil-burner (with 140K miles) for long trips when needed.

If you want to do mostly EV with some extra range when needed the the BMW i3 REX is an option. There's always the Volt, and my friend likes his Ford C-Max Energi. In practice they give great mileage, and don't cost much to run. Most of the cost is depreciation. I recommend any 2 car family to still have a ICE of some form (assuming no Tesla). There are no plugin hybrid SUV's available in the US yet. Porsche might be the first, and the Outlander will eventually arrive. Where is the Toyota Highlander Plugin Hybrid?

The other question is can you charge 2 EV's at home easily? I would overload our panel with 2 40 amp chargers, but could easily add a plugin hybrid with 7-10kW battery on 120V.

The Kia Soul EV should get a few more miles of range than the LEAF, and it comes with factory CHAdeMO. In terms of pure EVs that cost the same or less than the RAV4 EV, I think the Soul EV will be the only practical option for awhile. But even then, we don't know how much it will cost and it likely won't be that much less than the RAV4 given the current incentives. If you like the RAV4, I'd honestly just get a second. The window of opportunity to do so is closing, and I don't think you'd have a hard time finding someone to take it off your hands later on.

You wouldn't be the first to have a 2nd one, believe me. I have had spouses fighting over the car and giving in and getting a 2nd one every now and then. I can't think of an alternative that's better at $400-500 a month with so much range and state $$ benefit.

Well, that all confirms my thoughts -

Dianne - you'll probably be getting a call soon ( she likes the blue - )

Tad

The only one that comes close is the mercedes B class, nice car and cost is less than the rav, but ere is not lease deal. Also the plugin Cayenne will be here soon, however I think it will get single digits on the ev range as the panamera only gets 14-18 miles and its the same size battery and a bigger car with AWD. Also you will be close to tesla price for a Cayenne E-hybrid.

well, as of last night, we are now a 2 Rav EV family -

I'm trying to talk my next door neighbor to buy a silver one so we'll have one of each in adjacent driveways - may not be that hard a sell ( except for the silver color ) -

Back