Ca rebate refund?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmer_md

I'm just about to take advantage of the 0% financing on a new rav4ev but I have a question about the ca rebate I got for my leaf. I've had the leaf about two years and I think I remember that I had to keep it for three years. Do I have to pay back 33% of my original rebate before I can apply for the new rebate on the rav4ev? I'm trading in the leaf at time of purchase (just to clarify what I'm doing).

I don't claim to be an expert, but that sounds right . . . although I have no idea how the government finds out when you turn over your previously purchased (new) EV early. Honor system maybe??? I guess the DMV keeps records whenever there is a title transfer, so that is probably how they find out. Just like auto insurance, if your policy expires, I'm sure the DMV finds out by the next time you try to renew your vehicle registration.

Btw, I just got my "second" CA rebate this year and it absolutely baffles me why the government allows "double dipping", but I'm sure not complaining. :mrgreen:

Seems I might not have to worry after all. They gave me a quote of $9000 trade in. Said the used market for an ev is dead because you can get new ones for $200/mo. Retail on a used leaf is $11k. Mine is near new with 10,000 miles and rarely ever charged above 80%. Just a handful of events requiring it. No quick chargers even within range of my car so that was never tested.

I guess I'm stuck with this car at this point.

I found the answer on the cvrp website. So I owe $1650 and then I can re-apply for $2500 for a net rebate of $850. It covers delivery fee.

- Applicant must retain ownership of the rebated vehicle for a minimum of 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Rebate recipients who do not retain the eligible vehicle for the full 36-month ownership or lease period will be required to reimburse ARB all or part of the original rebate amount.

palmer_md said:
Seems I might not have to worry after all. They gave me a quote of $9000 trade in. Said the used market for an ev is dead because you can get new ones for $200/mo. Retail on a used leaf is $11k. Mine is near new with 10,000 miles and rarely ever charged above 80%. Just a handful of events requiring it. No quick chargers even within range of my car so that was never tested.

I guess I'm stuck with this car at this point.

Tried Carmax and they gave me a quote of $14,000 for my car. I really need to get $19,000 to get out of it, so I guess my hope of a Rav4ev for the new year is out the window. They did say that the market value for the car is 18-19k, and that I should sell it as a private party. I guess I'm going to try that route and see if there are any takers.

TonyWilliams said:
palmer_md said:
Tried Carmax and they gave me a quote of $14,000 for my car.

I got $23k (with 25,300 miles) on July 28, 2012.

That's one heck of a drop in 5 months !!!

That's what I thought too. I guess low gas prices and some bad press about EV's have taken its toll. Maybe gas prices will spike again and the resale value will go back up.

palmer_md said:
I guess low gas prices and some bad press about EV's have taken its toll. Maybe gas prices will spike again and the resale value will go back up.

It is more that you can buy a new 2012 for around $15K after rebates, etc. There is $10K Nissan rebate to dealers, $10K from Fed/CA, negotiated discounts from the dealer MSRP, etc. You cannot sell a used car for more than new ones.

I plan to wait for the 2012 models to be sold off and try to sell my 2011 then. I don't think that the 2013 models will be that heavily discounted such that prices might recover on the used market.

TonyWilliams said:
I got my $2500 Toyota loyalty check today, and I know of another who got a check, too.

Party!!!
Tony, did you mean to say "Loyalty" check??? Are you the owner of an original RAV4EV (1997-2003) as well???

Dsinned said:
TonyWilliams said:
I got my $2500 Toyota loyalty check today, and I know of another who got a check, too.

Party!!!
Tony, did you mean to say "Loyalty" check??? Are you the owner of an original RAV4EV (1997-2003) as well???

I'm a "loyal" owner of a 2010 Toyota Sienna minivan. Never owned the Rav4 EV previously.

TonyWilliams said:
Dsinned said:
TonyWilliams said:

Party!!!

I'm a "loyal" owner of a 2010 Toyota Sienna minivan. Never owned the Rav4 EV previously.

So, is this basically saying that any owner to a Toyota vehicle should have gotten the loyalty cash?

If yes, is it possible to get this rebate retroactively?

I'm feeling a bit peeved at my dealer right now if they messed this up. As the money is direct from Toyota and they don't even benefit from this mistake.

I would love to know if that was a loyalty check too. I spoke directly with corparate about the $2,500 loyalty program and was told that it was only good for past rav4 EV owners

Count your blessings Tony. :mrgreen: I think you may have snuck one past the goalie. Although, this whole thing about the "loyalty" rebate has been clouded in mystery from the beginning. This, and the general lack of understanding displayed by some dealers regarding the recent and ongoing "cashback" incentives borders on fraud. I would of been happy just getting 0% financing, but missed that window by a couple weeks. :x

Dsinned said:
Count your blessings Tony. :mrgreen: I think you may have snuck one past the goalie. Although, this whole thing about the "loyalty" rebate has been clouded in mystery from the beginning. This, and the general lack of understanding displayed by some dealer regarding the recent and ongoing "cashback" incentives borders on dealer fraud. I would of been happy just getting 0% financing, but missed that window by a couple weeks. :x

I did NOT engage the dealer to get this $2500 check. I did inform them, per the note on the form about the dealer keeping a copy for auditing purposes.

My dealer was just as clueless as the rest. There's still 2.5 hours to apply.

TonyWilliams said:
Dsinned said:
Count your blessings Tony. :mrgreen: I think you may have snuck one past the goalie. Although, this whole thing about the "loyalty" rebate has been clouded in mystery from the beginning. This, and the general lack of understanding displayed by some dealer regarding the recent and ongoing "cashback" incentives borders on dealer fraud. I would of been happy just getting 0% financing, but missed that window by a couple weeks. :x

I did NOT engage the dealer to get this $2500 check. I did inform them, per the note on the form about the dealer keeping a copy for auditing purposes.

My dealer was just as clueless as the rest. There's still 2.5 hours to apply.

Am I missing something here? Where does a buyer apply for this $2500 loyalty cash. i'm searching Toyota's webstite and cant find anything.

Jscifres said:
Am I missing something here? Where does a buyer apply for this $2500 loyalty cash. i'm searching Toyota's webstite and cant find anything.

It says specifically on the form that it is NOT to be advertised, which is why you won't find it on the Toyota website. In addition, I seriously doubt a single dealer had a clue or even cared, since this isn't money that they can stick in their pockets.

Anyway, I only know of two so far who got the Loyalty money.

TonyWilliams said:
Jscifres said:

It says specifically on the form that it is NOT to be advertised, which is why you won't find it on the Toyota website. In addition, I seriously doubt a single dealer had a clue or even cared, since this isn't money that they can stick in their pockets.

So where did you get the form? I'm going to try and scramble today and see about Getting a one day extension on the postmark issue.

TonyWilliams said:
Jscifres said:

Tony, Where did you get the form? Do you know if it is still in effect? I also own an FJ Cruiser for my off-road ventures.

Darren said:
TonyWilliams said:
Jscifres said:

Tony, Where did you get the form? Do you know if it is still in effect? I also own an FJ Cruiser for my off-road ventures.

It ended Jan 15, 2013.

Back