Ready to lease, charging options?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

After I close this 2nd mortgage, I'm going to have a 4.8kWh PV system installed. Should I also ask them if they can install a charger? Or is this usually a specialized install?

I looked at the Leviton page, and the process is about 30 days long. How do you take home an EV and charge it? What is the normal process? Do people usually choose and install a charger, then go out and buy the car?

Ferdball said:
After I close this 2nd mortgage, I'm going to have a 4.8kWh PV system installed. Should I also ask them if they can install a charger? Or is this usually a specialized install?

I looked at the Leviton page, and the process is about 30 days long. How do you take home an EV and charge it? What is the normal process? Do people usually choose and install a charger, then go out and buy the car?
A solar installer, or any electrical contractor, can install a charging station.

In the beginning, most people just leave the car plugged into a 120V outlet all the time when the car is home, using the included charge cable. After you get the car you can choose a high power charging station and arrange the install. Don't bother with the Leviton installer unless you can't find any other satisfactory electrician.

Good to know. I'll have the solar guys do it when they're upgrading my panel.

Another question, what is the "output" referring to? Is that where the cable to the charger plug comes out? If so, why is that such an important thing that it needs to be mentioned?

Also, where is the recepticle on the Rav4? Rear right, or rear left?

Ferdball said:

We probably sell more JESLA charge cords to Toyota Rav4 EV owners than any other singular one. The only thing you need to tell your electrician is to install a 50 amp circuit installed at your charging location with a NEMA 14-50R receptacle. We sell the receptacle here for $5.99:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/14-50R-Outlet-14-50R.htm

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for your dryer (handy for visiting friends or relatives at their house) or for motel air conditioners:

......................................................VOLTS / AMPS.......kW
*NEMA 5-15 .......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel air conditioner 120/16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers..... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
*NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=adapter

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

Thanks Tony. So, the advantage with this one is that its portable? I'm guessing it has the same protection and safety functions as the name branded ones?

Ferdball said:
Thanks Tony. So, the advantage with this one is that its portable? I'm guessing it has the same protection and safety functions as the name branded ones?

Well, we have a "name brand", too. Yes, of course, JESLA uses all safety protocols of J1772.

Advantages:

1) portable

2) automatically adjusts power based on plug (no other product on the market does with a J1772 plug)

3) no installation cost; just have an appropriate outlet to plug in to

4) super flexible and lightweight cord. You'll appreciate this when you compare to the heavy cables everybody else uses

5) you can charge at the maximum rate that the car is capable of

6) lots of happy customers

Yes wrap it into the solar and deduct the whole business.
I recommend a 50 amp circuit and 40 amp Leviton.
Nothing very special that the solar guys have not already seen.

Moderator screw up: I accidently hit the delete button instead of reply. Sorry, Tony

Some of your reply is in my quote below.

2. The length of the cable determines how far away you EV can be from the EVSE if fix mounted, as well as how far away it will reach when your EVSE is plugged into a 240V outlet. 25' is the longest J1772 output cable generally available, but some EVSE are equipped with shorter cables. In most cases, the longer the better, including the input cable (up to 6' is typically the longest).

The electrical code for EVSE cable length is 25 feet.
For the EVSE input from the service outlet, it's 3 feet.

Hi,

I just purchased (leased) a Rav4 EV and brought it home. Called Leviton to get a 40A charge unit but was surprised that they do not install in northern CA. Called them up and they were very good to deal with. I'm now working on getting an electrician to install the unit when it arrives. Anyway, Leviton gave me a $225.00 discount so I ordered the power unit. They are also working on installing on N CA and should have that service soon.

So far (~100 miles on the ODO) I'm very happy with it

James

Back