Can a dealer REALLY get an HOV sticker BEFORE you buy?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davideski

I am being told by a dealer they order the HOV stickers for the RAV4 EV ahead of time.

Everything I've read says that you can't order an HOV sticker until an owner has been established. Thus, dealer could POSSIBLY submit the paperwork for me once I've leased the car, but not beforehand. I'm using the information below.

So is it in my best interests to simply lease the car and apply for the sticker on my own or allow the dealer to apply for sticker after I've leased the car and signed the paperwork?

Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

David

9. Q: Can I submit the CAV decal application before the dealer and DMV complete the ownership application?

A: No. The vehicle must be in your name on DMV records before CAV decals can be issued. If you just purchased the vehicle from a dealership, you must wait until transfer of ownership is completed by DMV. If the CAV decal application is submitted prior to completion of transfer of ownership, the application will be returned to you unprocessed and must be resubmitted once the vehicle is in your name.

10. Q: How do I know when the vehicle is in my name?

A: You will receive a registration card from DMV once the transfer of ownership is completed.

It's done all the time. When I bought my first EV, the dealer didn't and it took me four weeks to get the license plate and another four weeks to get the sticker.

Next two EVs, the dealer handed me the stickers with the keys.

Fourth EV, the dealer didn't have the stickers in hand yet, but mailed them as soon as she got them.

There was an issue when they were reaching the maximum number of green stickers allowed. They dealers stocked up on all of them, leaving none for those buying a car and intending to apply for the stickers independently.

Don't worry. They can do it.

The white stickers are limitless.
White HOV stickers are easy to get by a dealer, if we so choose.
We have always chosen to do this for the past year ++ ... since it's been permitted.
Many don't bother.

Dianne

Back