Lighter Wheels

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry_in_Seattle

Although I looked for this topic, I didn't find it. If so, please move this post to that discussion.

Has anybody gone for lighter-weight replacement wheels? Has anyone even looked into it? How much weight could be saved?

I've added weight with a trailer hitch, and probably a little extra wind resistance with mud flaps. I saw online that there ARE carbon fiber hoods available for the RAV4 but don't know if they'd even fit the EV. I'm not so keen on replacing body parts like the hood, but when it comes time to buy new tires, I'd consider a new set of wheel rims too.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

Fnet = m*a

Newton's second law:

Whatever alteration is made of the mass, the opposite or inverse change will occur with the acceleration. Double, triple or quadruple the mass, and the acceleration will be one-half, one-third or one-fourth its original value.

http://enkei.com/shop/racing/pf01/

Wheel weights:

http://enkei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/PF01.pdf

RAV4 (2006-2012, and probably newer) uses 5 x 114.3mm (4.5") bolt pattern. You could use 17 or 18 inch diameter, however the larger wheels are generally heavier and you'd need to buy new tires.

The current wheels on the RAV4 EV are the same as the V6 Limited:

Tire -------------------Rim ------Bolt pattern---Thread--Center Bore (mm)
225/65 R17------6.5Jx17 ET39---5x114.3----M12 x 1.5----60.1 (base)
225/65 R17------7Jx17 ET39-----5x114.3----M12 x 1.5----60.1 (V6 Limited, EV)
235/55 R18------7.5Jx18 ET40---5x114.3----M12 x 1.5----60.1 (Sport)

I think that replacing wheels and hoods is folly if you're in it for cost savings. If you're in it for environmental reasons then buy some solar panels for your house (and do Green Up! through Seattle City Light.) If you're in it for the extra mile of range then buy a Model S.

Shikataganai,

大洋電子持っていますよ。(Taiyou denshi motte imasu yo.) I have solar panels!
I have solar thermal too. And an organic garden... and rain barrels.

Shitsurei desu ga, but if you want to pay the difference between what I paid for the RAV4EV and a Tesla, I'd be delighted to get a Model S!

WHEN I need to replace the tires, I'd certainly consider different tires (great thread on the forum) AND look into lighter wheels. Thought I'd simply see if anyone else had done so.

Back