Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Checklist/Advice for Buying Used RAV4 EV?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:36 pm 

ken830 wrote:
Tony.. Thanks for the link. I'm a fan of everything you've done for the EV community! Any idea when the JAMP JR will be available?

I'm finishing up development of JdeMO for the Rav4 (there's always something), but as soon as I can hand this over to the production side, I'll work on JAMP JR and a few other projects that are delayed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 am 
Site Moderator

Lemon law lawyer
Extended warranty
Full Bank account
AAA membership
Second car as backup

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 pm 

So, I finally got the car a few hours ago. A couple of things I can't figure out:

1) Entunes -- I signed up for an account online and have the app installed, but I can't monitor charging with it. I can only set up media streaming services. It seems I need to enable it on myentunes.com by entering a Contract ID. Am I supposed to get this from the previous owner, or get my own? Does it require a contract or subscription fee or something??

2) How can I check on charging status when I'm sitting in the car? I can't seem to find a screen that tells me it's charging and at what rate (voltage / current).

3) The charge scheduler only has a complete-by time? No start time? And I'm guessing there's no geo-awareness to it? Like if I plug in to a public charger away from home, it won't charge immediately because I set it to scheduled charging? I have TOU plan at home, so I don't want to charge immediately at home, but obviously do when out in public.

4) Charging won't start when the car is "on", but when I turn the car "off", then I can't run the A/C heater? And I can't seem to even roll up/down the windows? Am I doing something wrong?

5) When listening to bluetooth audio, is there a scrub bar to seek to a specific time in the media player? Or at least a steering-wheel button to fast-forward (I tried to hold down the "skip" button)? I listen to audio books, and hitting the fast-forward button on the screen takes a lot of eye-off-the-road time and it only skips like 3 seconds.

6) Will the brake lights ever turn on when decelerating with regen-only? I drive in B-mode only to try to emulate the feel of my Model S

7) What about creep? Can that be disabled? By the dealer?

Sorry if these are obvious... I will find some time to read the manual soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 pm 

ken830 wrote:
3) The charge scheduler only has a complete-by time? No start time? And I'm guessing there's no geo-awareness to it? Like if I plug in to a public charger away from home, it won't charge immediately because I set it to scheduled charging? I have TOU plan at home, so I don't want to charge immediately at home, but obviously do when out in public.

It only starts at a specific time. Sorry. Unlike the Model S and Roadster which will start charging up to 6 hours after the start time (example, 12:05am start time, but you plugged in at 6:04am... it will start charging immediately), if you plug in the Rav4 even one minute after the start time, it will go to the next day.

Quote:
6) Will the brake lights ever turn on when decelerating with regen-only? I drive in B-mode only to try to emulate the feel of my Model S

No, the brake lights won't come on. It's most definitely a Toyota version of a Model S !!!

Quote:
7) What about creep? Can that be disabled? By the dealer?

No, can't eliminate creep, either. Not even the dealer can.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 pm 

Thanks Tony. I definitely like some things about the RAV more than the Model S, but the UI is terrible. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I never owned a Model S.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:30 am 

ken830 wrote:
So, I finally got the car a few hours ago. A couple of things I can't figure out:

2) How can I check on charging status when I'm sitting in the car? I can't seem to find a screen that tells me it's charging and at what rate (voltage / current).

Once you have entunes working you can see :
-status (charging/non charging)
-estimated time till charging finished
You will never see volt/amps.
Although I think the ravcharge app might know that

Quote:

I use openevse at home which you set to be enabled during ToU hours.
And leave the car to "charge direct"
Quote:
4) Charging won't start when the car is "on", but when I turn the car "off", then I can't run the A/C heater? And I can't seem to even roll up/down the windows? Am I doing something wrong?

nope, can't run ac or heater, but if you push your car on, without brake pedal pressed, it will let you operate the fan, the windows,radio etc.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:36 am 

ken830 wrote:
1) Entunes -- I signed up for an account online and have the app installed, but I can't monitor charging with it. I can only set up media streaming services. It seems I need to enable it on myentunes.com by entering a Contract ID. Am I supposed to get this from the previous owner, or get my own? Does it require a contract or subscription fee or something??

The contract ID is for Safety Connect. Safety Connect is the service for the button next to the front dome lights that calls Toyota if you break down or get into an accident. It is also needed for any service that uses the car's data connection, like remote charging, climate or the vehicle finder. I would have thought you'd get the contract ID from the previous owner. I'd call support and see if they can help you with that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:41 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
ken830 wrote:

It only starts at a specific time. Sorry. Unlike the Model S and Roadster which will start charging up to 6 hours after the start time (example, 12:05am start time, but you plugged in at 6:04am... it will start charging immediately), if you plug in the Rav4 even one minute after the start time, it will go to the next day.

once you get Entunes working, signup for RAVCHARGE (www.ravcharge.com) which allows scheduled charging by time, day, etc. plus scheduled climate control start/stop. you can see charging and location info.

(ex-2011 Volt #2365 - returned Nov. 2013)