Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is this battery toast?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:25 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
It may be wise to consider resale value... I know what it is for a LEAF !!! Poor.

Yep... but on the flip side, it's good for buyers. :)

As I posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p430825, I bought a '13 Leaf SV w/premium package (build month of 5/2013) and all its capacity bars (still has them, SOH and Hx from Leaf Spy seem to be hovering around 89 or 90 and Ahr rating is ~59.xx to 60.xx still) for $9,325 + tax and license.

Recently, it seemed like the prices have risen (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 24#p435924) but I expect them to fall again due to the '16 30 kWh Leaf SV and SL and low gas prices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:20 pm 

cwerdna wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
It may be wise to consider resale value... I know what it is for a LEAF !!! Poor.

Yep... but on the flip side, it's good for buyers. :)

I will probably look for that cheap LEAF for my 15 year old son. He only needs a 20-40 mile range car, so it should be perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:22 pm 

Here you go: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=20619

Could even luck out and get a new battery next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:48 am 

fooljoe wrote:
Here you go: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=20619

Could even luck out and get a new battery next year.

Seems on the high side, esp. if it ends up not qualifying for a replacement. Might need some Phoenix "heat treatment"...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20608 has some Manheim auction results (likely for licensed dealers only) for Altanta. Look at the amounts with commas[USD].

Post subject: Help with Used Purchase - How to detect bad battery?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:21 am 

Hi guys,

Today, I test drove a nice 2013, 35k miles. My biggest question is regarding the battery and how to determine if the battery is in a good or bad shape.

Here are the things I noticed:
[*] With battery almost full, the range meter on the driver's display said 66 miles with AC off, 61 with eco mode on
[*] The charge meter said it would take 30 minutes to charge fully.
[*] On my test drive, I saw that my the distance meter (rightside drivers display)said I could go +4 miles more than the left side range indiactor
[*] I drove for 1 hour, freeway and city, and my average was 2.8kWh per mile

Regarding the displayed range: I don't know how long the car was sitting for in the dealer's lot, and I don't know much about the Rav4's battery system. I'm more familiar with the Model S's (owned for 3 years). Is the displayed range something that can go up if I recalibrate the battery (by discharging from 100% -> near 0%) a few times?

Questions:
[*] 66 miles displayed range with nearly full battery seems low, no?
[*] When a car is new, what should the displayed miles be? (standard vs extended)
[*] What else can I do to tell battery health?

Thanks all for the help

Some pics:

Post subject: Re: Help with Used Purchase - How to detect bad battery?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:34 am 

The most definitive, quantitative way to measure the battery capacity / degradation is shown here:
viewtopic.php?p=20518#p20518

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:11 am 

tgreene wrote:
The most definitive, quantitative way to measure the battery capacity / degradation is shown here:

Thanks for that.

Does the dealer have diagnostics that tell them battery condition? Can dealers be trusted when they say something like "the battery is fine"?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:20 am 

tdiggity wrote:
tgreene wrote:

Thanks for that.

Does the dealer have diagnostics that tell them battery condition? Can dealers be trusted when they say something like "the battery is fine"?
Unless you talk to a Toyota EV Certified technician who hooked up his computer to the car, they don't know anything more than you about that specific car.

The "Tony Test" linked above is the best way to know the degradation state of the battery. I would feel relatively comfortable with the given "rated range" number if the ambient temp was over 55F and the 12V battery was disconnected for an hour. If you're really worried about it, I would insist on doing that test before buying it.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar | Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 Limestone Gray e-Golf LE

Post subject: Re: Is this battery bad on a car I wish to purchase
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:28 pm 

The Tony test is the only way to go. All of the things you noted are within normal expectations if someone has been driving it on lots of short trips and/or with a lead foot.

Post subject: Re: Is this battery bad on a car I wish to purchase
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:30 pm 

To be perfectly honest, the odds of having a bad battery for any Tesla powered product is exceedingly tiny.

Those batteries, of course, will degrade as all batteries. We have found that 10 to 15% of degradation is possible at 50,000 miles, with 15 to 20% likely at 100,000 miles.

Unlike the Nissan LEAF, the battery is fully protected from extreme temperatures so the degradation results are relatively uniform across the fleet. There won't be a big difference between a car that's been its entire life in Phoenix and one that spends its life in North Dakota.

If the battery is in fact bad (in other words there's a failure of the battery), it is covered by an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty... you have nothing to fear.

I highly recommend getting a warranty for the entire car for the period of time you intend to use your RAV4 EV. You can buy the Toyota Platinum warranty for up to 10 years and 125,000 miles. Do not be lulled into buying a warranty that is not a Toyota Platinum warranty.